Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the cud. Still looking for my first one. Have seen a lot of those on the 83 nickel posted lately. Keeping an eye out for it.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
That is definitely a nice one. :thumbsup: I found my first about 1 1/2 months ago also a Lincoln. When I found mine I knew what it was and didn't think that it would bring much of a premium. Then a few weeks ago I was looking at feebay and was amazed at how much they go for. I guess my question is, How rare are rim cuds?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I found Jason.

Attachments

• cud.jpg
    cud.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I'm not sure how rare they are, some of the big cent hunters here could probably give you an idea.

Nice one, enamel! Is that a what reverse by chance? The date font style looks older.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
All right. Can we get a little help here.

In the interest in educating the masses, and me. Could someone please explain how a cud error occurs and the difference between a cud and a rim error?

All information would be appreciated.

I should know this by now but my focus has been on culling silver. I still keep my eyes peeled open for other stuff like errors but not on any grand scale.

Perhaps Jason can educate us since this is his post.

There is just so much to learn, and this site has so many knowledgeable people and a wealth of information.

This is one of the learning opportunity's. Thanks in Advance for any responses to my question.

Mojo

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I have no clue, I just think they are cool. I'm interested also. Good question, Mojo.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool cuds guys.

Coinmojo – A “cud” occurs when a portion of the die breaks off. As you can see the resulting strike leaves what appears to be a blob of metal on the coin. However, this is not a blob but merely a non-struck portion of the coin blank. The non-struck portion usually includes the edge but does not have to. Value and rarity will depend on the severity of the cud and availability in the market but there is usually a good demand for better examples.

"Rim errors" occur only on the rim and include extra pieces of metal (burrs) attached to the coin. Again, value is dependant on severity and the market.

As with any errors the best ones to find are the proof issues. These will almost always be extremely rare due to the proof minting process.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I have only found 2 in the last year and a hlfa one alone 2 weeks ago. Found 4 blank planchets last week alone. The one i have has the cud right over the date lol so cant figure out what year it was.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only cud I ever found was a rim cud on a 1917-S wheat, and I found it last week detecting, you think it has any extra value?

Attachments

• 1917s with rim cud.JPG
    1917s with rim cud.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 224
  • 1917s with rim cud.JPG
    1917s with rim cud.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 218

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
only cud I ever found was a rim cud on a 1917-S wheat, and I found it last week detecting, you think it has any extra value?

That actually looks like a rim error to me. I presume it should have some added value to an error collector. I'll see if I can dig up a pic to show what I'm talking about.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it even possibly has a small die break at about 8 o'clock as well, do you see what i am referring to?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,

1st pic: You can see the extra material on the rim is still "standing".

2nd pic: You can see where the extra material on the rim got folded over and subsequently was struck through.

Now on your 1917-S, it looks as though there was some extra material standing after the minting process. Before being lost in the ground that extra metal got bent over and is now pressed tightly against the rim face of the coin. It could also be a cud but to me, without holding it in hand, it looks like a rim error. It would also be an unusual break to the die to form such a perfect cud following the rim.

Attachments

• proof_presidential_dollar_error_wire_rim_detail650.jpg
    proof_presidential_dollar_error_wire_rim_detail650.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 202
  • proof_presidential_dollar_error_struck_through_and_cut850c.jpg
    proof_presidential_dollar_error_struck_through_and_cut850c.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 197

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
I thought it even possibly has a small die break at about 8 o'clock as well, do you see what i am referring to?

Yes I see that also and did mean to mention it. Not enough sleep last night has me working slowly today. :D

I find your coin interesting and do think it would carry a premium. How much? :dontknow: I don't think it would be huge but I would treat the coin with some respect, put it in a holder, don't just toss in a wheatie bucket. :wink:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Goes4ever said:

Yes I see that also and did mean to mention it. Not enough sleep last night has me working slowly today. :D

I find your coin interesting and do think it would carry a premium. How much? :dontknow: I don't think it would be huge but I would treat the coin with some respect, put it in a holder, don't just toss in a wheatie bucket. :wink:
I actually needed it in my Lincoln set, so in the book it went. Was pretty nice shape for a dug coin.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
DigginThePast said:
Goes4ever said:

I actually needed it in my Lincoln set, so in the book it went. Was pretty nice shape for a dug coin.

My feelings also. Congrats on the find. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread