You know it will be good when all you can hear is silver...

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I stopped by a small local bank near my office that I hadn't been to in over a year that had allowed me to buy their half dollar bag previously. After a quick check she verified she had $162.50 in halves, so I said sure I'll take it all.

As she was taking the bag off the machine I could hear the distinct sound of many silver coins bumping into each other...

She glanced in the bag and asked if I still wanted it as there was a good luck token or two in it. I said let me take a look quick...so I did.

Saw a '67 and a liberty bell poking out, so I just took it as is. ;D

Reached in a couple times and grabbed a small handful...both times pulled up about 50% silver with at least a couple '64s in the mix... (Each handful around 10-20 coins...could have been the same coins, but I doubt it)

I won't get around to searching it until sometime late tonight, probably after midnight at the earliest.

No prize, but just for fun any one want to guess as to the breakdown of the bag? How many 40%, 90%, Franklins, etc.? Or if you want to really go wild, feel free to guess as to the date breakdown too. ;D

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicely done there Gman !

Picked up a few of those silver-laden bags myself.

Looking forward to the tally.

Kudos.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice, I hope u hit a good haul..... so is buying bags a good way to find the silver?? I haven't baught any yet, but I will have the money to do so in like a week. Good ole tax return.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
97 40%
38 90%
16 tokens
13 Foreign w/ 1 1967 canadian half

Good Luck!

HH
-GC

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
35-40%ers
19-90%ers
4 foreign coins
1 lucky token
2 or 3 other denominations

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Franklin (1954-D, 1963-D)
5 - 90% Kennedy (1964(2), 1964-D(3))
35 - 40% Kennedy (1965(3), 1966(4), 1967(19), 1968-D(5), 1969-D(4))

2 Foreign (Mexico, 10 Pesos (2005), New Zealand, 20 Cents (1976))

1 Rockerville Ghost Town Good Luck Token

3 Pennies
1 Dime

Unfortunately, I think the teller accidentally transposed the 2 and the 6 as there was only $121 worth of halves in the bag... plus the other 7 oddball items which would push it to $124.50.

I think I might stop back tomorrow and ask nicely if they could verify if I was sold the bag for the proper amount or not.

I still came out ahead, so not going to push too hard on it since it's my word against theirs. I am not a customer of this particular bank either, but if it was an honest mistake they might be able to reconcile easily or might even have realized it once I left and had no way to contact me.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
GMan00001 said:

3 Pennies
1 Dime

Unfortunately, I think the teller accidentally transposed the 2 and the 6 as there was only $121 worth of halves in the bag... plus the other 7 oddball items which would push it to $124.50.

I think I might stop back tomorrow and ask nicely if they could verify if I was sold the bag for the proper amount or not.

I still came out ahead, so not going to push too hard on it since it's my word against theirs. I am not a customer of this particular bank either, but if it was an honest mistake they might be able to reconcile easily or might even have realized it once I left and had no way to contact me.

Nice score on that bag. I think that if you mention to the teller,even in a nice way, that you were shorted 38 bucks, they will never sell another bag again.
hh
Rich

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Rich Hartford said:
GMan00001 said:

3 Pennies
1 Dime

Nice score on that bag. I think that if you mention to the teller,even in a nice way, that you were shorted 38 bucks, they will never sell another bag again.
hh
Rich

Nice score on the bag, but you have to realize the risks (and rewards) when getting bags. I wouldn't mention the shortage as you'll likely not get another bag from this source.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
timbobwey said:
nice, I hope u hit a good haul..... so is buying bags a good way to find the silver?? I haven't baught any yet, but I will have the money to do so in like a week. Good ole tax return.

Tim. This is off subject

I've seen you and a couple people misspell this in recent posts. I'm not smart and by no means a great speller but this one is clearly wrong.

The proper spelling for the word bought is B O U G H T.... lol

By the way, spell check picked this up when I did the spell check before I posted this.

Mojo

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not worried about the bag being short, that I can deal with. All I plan to do is ask if they could verify what the machine said before she sold the bag to me. If it said $162.50, I will take the shortage without complaining.

However, I think the teller might have said $126.50 when she first gave me a number. She was hard to hear from the back room so when the number was $162.50 at the teller window I didn't question it and just assumed I had misheard her. I should have verified it right then and there, but didn't really pay attention until I got home and actually looked through the bag and it just seemed short.

Typically banks keep records of how much was in each bag at the end of the night. I am hoping she can look back and see what the records were for the night before, and if it was over $126.50, I'll just accept the shortage since I am not going to try to argue my word against the tellers.

Basically, I am not trying to question the accuracy of the machine. Doing that, I do think would be the wrong play from a future perspective. I am just questioning if a human error was accidentally made in the process of selling me the bag and I am only trying to use facts to verify my arguments.

In the absolute worst case that they no longer sell bags, I/CRHers will miss out on about $100 a year in halves as this is a pretty low volume bank so not really the end of the world. I am pretty sure that my discussion with the teller will not cause a problem from that perspective since I am only going to ask nicely if they can verify and just accept what they tell me either way.

Worst case I had to pay over face for what I received, but I still did ok as I paid $63.50 for $124.88 in silver. Face value was only $22.

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I stopped back in at lunch time and before I could say anything the same teller asked if I wanted my $36 back.

She had realized what she had done as soon as she went to clear the machine after I had walked away, but didn't know how to contact me.

For those that thought I shouldn't go back... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread