Another top silver half score

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Got very lucky again today. Second day in a row. Got a call this morning from a lady teller at one of the banks I was at yesterday. She said one of her co-tellers, who only works part time and wasn't there yesterday, had 9 rolls of half dollars if I wanted to come back. When I got there, the other teller took out the 9 rolls from his safe along with a partial roll marked "$7.50." I noticed right away that the brown hand rolls were ones I had never seen before. I asked if the person had brought in any other coins and he replied, "no, only the halves". He said he's had them since before Thanksgiving and was happy to get rid of them. I thanked him and my lady friend teller and went back to my car having a very good feeling about this load. I wasn't disappointed. Each roll contained about half silver 40% kennedy's all mixed in with really nice clad 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974 and Bicentennial 1776-1976 halves. The edges of the clad coins were still shiny and new. Also the silver Kennedy's were also extremely nice and almost all are worth keeping. There were no Walkers or Bens
and only 6 were 1964's. Here's the final tally: 1969 (35)....1968 (25)....1967 (24)....1966 (4)....1965 (4).... and 1964 (6) for a total of 98 coins. I could be wrong, but since none of the clad coins in the rolls were newer than the Bicentennials, I suspect these coins were obtained from a bank way back in 1976 and simply just put away by the purchaser. I know that the bank whose name appears on the paper rolls is long gone. I guess that's what you got back then when you got rolls of halves from a bank. Wouldn't it be nice if that's what we got today everytime we went to a bank. Ha! I was only thirty years old then and not much of a collector. I had a good job then and could have afforded a few rolls a week. What a bonanza it would have been! Does anyone know what the spot price of silver was in 1976? Probably very little. Anyway, there are a few youngsters in the neighborhood who are starting collections of halves, so I'll save the real nice clad ones for them to replace the beat up ones in their books. Will probably give out a few of the nice 40%er's for their albums as well. BTW, I called my friend, "Hotel" and met up with him to show him my score. Needless to say, he just rolled his eyes and hung his head. Hope my luck continues. Once again, I wish I knew how to post pictures, because that really adds to the find and enjoyment of the readers. I'll try to get my kids to teach me how. I just did learn to take photos with my cellphone and I took a few of the load. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for having such a great web site. I really enjoy reading everyone's fascinating postings. Wish me luck tomorrow.
Cheers,
rileyboy

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a great find! I love it when my tellers call me, I usually find silver when they do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread