Question for you guys.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a question for those on the board with some experience with this. There is one bank that is on my way to my dump bank that most always produces when I ask for halves. The head teller there always gives me a runaround about getting into her stash of halves that are in the vault, saying she is saving the for another customer but she is willing to sell me 4-5 sometimes and these always produce. She refuses to sell me all that she has. My question is how can I get her to give up the halves? Thought about calling ahead pretending to be the person she saves them for. Though about going to the branch manager and seeing if she would change the head tellers mind. I would make this a nice hand rolled dump bank since I could deposit 2-3K there a week but I dont want to ruin my chances of those 4-5 rolls she tosses me from time to time. How would you go about trying to get these halves? I do have an account with the bank that is active and use it for my business.

Thanks,
AG

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If it really produces and not just a few silver here and there, then I would buy a bagel/pastry assortment for the head teller and the others. When you drop it off, be sure to let her know that this gesture was in appreciation for selling you the halves. "Oh, by the way, any chance that I could buy more?" "Perhaps, the ones in the vault?"

Also, make the transaction as easy as possible. Cash works best. Withdrawing from an account to pay for the halves is a recorded transaction. Still, it easy, but it is slightly more work.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AG,
When I used to do road trips I'd run into this same situation plenty of times. Odds are the person she is saving the coins for are herself. She probably doesn't have the cash to buy them until she gets paid.
Pick up a few cheap Indian Heads,and V Nickels. Next time you go into the bank buy the rolls that she will sell you. Then show her the old junk coins and offer to give her one or more for the rolls she is holding for her collector customer. Tell her that they will really appreciate these 100+ year old coins over 20th century halves. Works everytime.
On road trips I'd always carry the above coins on me plus a roll of proof halves I got from boxes, a couple of silver certificates that I picked up for face, and a couple of old (and cheap) commemorative halves (Columbus/GW Carver) for trade.
Good luck
Rich

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
Everyone gets a day off once in a while... Figure out her work schedule, just happen to show up on her day off. Pick out the pigeon, err... "less informed" teller and ask for all the halves they have. Sounds devious I know, but all's fair in love and silver!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If you are a customer, then there is no reason why she should be able to prefer another customer over you, time after time (at least not openly).

I want to agree with RH, but if she was keeping the silver for herself, she would probably go thru all the rolls and remove the silvers and would be giving out all clad.

But, one caveat is if you go over her head to raise a fuss, you run the chance that somehow you could wind up with none over the long haul. They could just start sending all halves to the coin courier to prevent customers from fighting over them (or at least they might tell you that). I would not do the "go to the manager route" personally.

My advice would be next time she says she is saving them for another customer, I would ask her "why is that customer favored over me?" and "is that customer's business more valuable to your bank than mine?". There is no way she is gonna answer that in the affirmative, even if it is true for some reason. If she says your business is as important as the other customer, ask her to split the rolls between you and the other customer.

If she does not agree to split them, then RH is correct and she is saving them for herself. Still doesn't quite explain why she would let silvers slip through if she is CRHing though. :icon_scratch: If you do discuss it with her boss I would try that route as well. Splitting them makes you appear fair in that you are not demanding all of them.

Jim

zmemarine

Feb 6, 2008
Ask her if you could swap out halves with the amount she has. This has worked for me twice before.

Semper Fi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread