ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever skunk on a box of pennies?? I just did. I've done 4 boxes to date, and found a grand total of 7 wheaties. Each box got worse - 4,2,1,0. On a better note, I found out today that my little tiny hometown bank can and will order halves for me "about once a month." The bank is less than a mile from my house, so that will sure be handy. Order goes in tomorrow, will post the results when they come in.

Upvote 0

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Skunked on wheats, yes. Although I am really never skunked because I save the copper ones and hunt for varities/errors. Even if you don't save the copper, being on the east coast you should easily be able to pull in a AM variety.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did save the copper. However, Arkansas is not on the East Coast. The majority of the coinage here comes from Denver.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah, that sucks. The lowest amount I ever got was 3 wheats.. I never thought one would get skunked with a penny box

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Never been skunked on pennies but it's been close a couple of times.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I have not been skunked yet but I do get tired of looking at the D mint mark. I average about 10 -12 wheat's per box but have yet to find a notable error. I do have a 1989 d that looks like a doubling on the date but I can't get my camera to take a good pic.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got skunked when I got a box of the new LP2 2009 cents, not one wheat in the whole box! :) Actually I didnt open it, put it on the shelf to store for 50-60 years.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
ArkieBassMan said:
I did save the copper. However, Arkansas is not on the East Coast. The majority of the coinage here comes from Denver.

I know Arkansas isn't the East Coast literally, but I did think they were east of the Mississippi and I just realized that error. :dontknow: I guess I should brush up on my geography instead of spending so much time going through coins. I think this hobby is destroying my brain :laughing7:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
never got skunked on wheats before
knock on wood
however i did get skunked when i got 30 boxes of the first 2009 design
didnt open the boxes though
they went on ebay

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philmont_709n2 said:
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny

No copper, wow, thats hard to believe. Must have gotten ahold of some of the returns from the guys over on realcent.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Philmont_709n2 said:

It really does mess with the mind. I've only been skunked once. Not a single copper cent. I, of course, posted on T-Net as to what kind of freak culls every copper coin when I realized that I'm that freak. Still the probability of dumps being placed in a hopper with other cents to be rerolled and not a single copper cent to be mixed in has to be infinitesimal.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Philmont_709n2 said:

It really does mess with the mind. I've only been skunked once. Not a single copper cent. I, of course, posted on T-Net as to what kind of freak culls every copper coin when I realized that I'm that freak. Still the probability of dumps being placed in a hopper with other cents to be rerolled and not a single copper cent to be mixed in has to be infinitesimal.

Not the volume that some people with ryedales do. I am sure they can fill up one of those hoppers with Zincolns in no time.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
ON weeks I really hump it, I can do 25 boxes with the Ryedale. That's $625 in pennies. Since I get about 17% copper, that means about 83% goes back to the bank. Or about $519. IN one dump.

NOt often, but at times.

That could lead to a copperless box or two I suppose. But not a lot, when it gets mixed in witht he other coins.

And most weeks I do about 5 boxes, and return about $103 - $105 in zinc to the bank every monday morning.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was skunked on a penny bag once around Jan 2nd of last year....the whole bag was all 1982 pennies...

Someone had apparently been separating them out and doing the copper thing.

I didn't test to see if they were all zinc or not, they just went back to the bank.

I did start thinking about the idea of just removing all of a certain common date of penny or nickel and cashing them in all at once when I get a lot of them....

Such as $200 worth of 1999-D pennies or something like that at once just for fun...though the odds that a CRHer would ever stumble across my "boxes of no goodies" is pretty low so I haven't bothered. :)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Why not just spend the zinc pennies? Some might have too large of a quantity to spend but at least try. I buy everything in halves and pennies. Dimes I return in their plastic rolls to banks that have a lot of merchants. They use them and give them out to merchants. It's never good to have them return to the vault. It sounds easy but I know it's hard to use lots of change. I used halves & pennies at gas stations, taco bell, costco, walmart, & even when I go into pay medical bills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread