apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of items do you give tellers for being just plain nice? Someone suggested a plate of goodies. I just started coin rolling, love it, but I have walked into banks and sometimes I just feel a bit uncomfortable. I have one bank where I personally know the teller, she is so sweet, as are most of the tellers at this bank, but one teller gives me the cold shoulder. She once told me she bought halves for her kids. Since then, I can order a box of halves, but now the bank never has loose halves for some reason. My theory is they should, since this is at a high volume Walmart.
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are lots of things you can do. Here are some of mine

Seasonal treats - Valentines day candy; Halloween candy, etc.

Home baked treats occasionally - Chex mix; cookies, brownies.

As I accumulated the various issues of the new Lincoln Cents I put them in 2x2's, labeled them and gave one to each teller.

After one particularly successful week, I took that branch a gift card to be used as they desired.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I know many here believe in the "gift giving" theory to tellers. Personally I think being friendly and smiling and not b!tch!ng at them is enough.

Maybe if a teller personally saved a stash of silver coins just for me when she/he could have kept it for themselves I might consider such a thing. But that has never happened to me, although all my ordering banks are very nice and they never forget to order for me, whether it is a holiday week or not.
My dump banks are decent enough, although sometimes when they see me come in with a big canvas bag of halves they get that look on their face like they just felt a gas pain in their stomach.

Just remember, once you start the whole gift thing, it might be hard to stop. Once they get to expect your "treats", you may have to keep giving them forever. I wonder how some of you get by with giving only certain tellers gifts, I would think the other tellers might get jealous, etc??

Jim

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get her out of East Texas,that would be the best gift you could give her :laughing7: :laughing7:,just kidding, bake her cookies or pies ,chocolate covered strawberries,gift cards,etc. :thumbsup:

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I get a box of halves every week from a bank I don't have a account at. I drop off at a bank I do have a account in. As a thank you to each group of tellers, I drop off some candy about every 4th or 5th week. They all are now much more friendly and the pick up bank now saves any halves that come in and ask me if I want to check them. For the 8 or 9 bucks it costs me once a month I feel the problems I could have are gone. Besides, I'm making a lot more than the few bucks I give them every month on the coins. Share the wealth.....if pays off.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Austin, I do agree that sometimes we are a bit slow 'round here. But I do like my home and can't stand big-city traffic :laughing7: :laughing7:

We do sometimes 'round here get a bit of educatin' . . . Have you ever visited the LBJ center at UT? Its a wonderful place filled with so much history! I love the state archives too! Did my masters research on anti-WWII protesters in Texas for my thesis. You know, the ol' folks that didn' have much o'use for that guy named FDR? Yeap, we in ol' East Texas do read them thangs called books now and again. But, I love FDR--just a side note :icon_sunny:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the next time your here in Austin swing on over to the Bob Bullock History Museum,just north of the capital and go to the second floor and see The Story of Texas,it's a small theater with 3 screens that move up and down and the whole theater comes alive. (www.thestoryoftexas.com). :thumbsup:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally if I was a teller and someone brought me something that was home cooked or baked, I would toss it. Nothing against anyone who does this but I wouldnt want to eat something from a stranger bringing something to me. Maybe its just me and my quirks but I am sure some others feel the same way. I definately would make sure what every you bring them is factory sealed.

What part of East Texas are you in Apush? I went to college in East Texas and loved the area.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
AG has it nailed. As a teacher, apUSh, I'm sure you don't eat things that come in from your students. I know in my school, teachers ask "who made it?". Now we are only allowed to give the kids packaged food products. This as after an unfortunate cat hair incident.

Stick with things they might use at work. Hand lotion. Hand sanitizer. Box -o- chocolates.

Fathead

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I know many here believe in the "gift giving" theory to tellers. Personally I think being friendly and smiling and not b!tch!ng at them is enough.

Maybe if a teller personally saved a stash of silver coins just for me when she/he could have kept it for themselves I might consider such a thing. But that has never happened to me, although all my ordering banks are very nice and they never forget to order for me, whether it is a holiday week or not.
My dump banks are decent enough, although sometimes when they see me come in with a big canvas bag of halves they get that look on their face like they just felt a gas pain in their stomach.

Just remember, once you start the whole gift thing, it might be hard to stop. Once they get to expect your "treats", you may have to keep giving them forever. I wonder how some of you get by with giving only certain tellers gifts, I would think the other tellers might get jealous, etc??

Jim

Yes sometimes it gets to seem like a bit of an obligation to bring treats to the tellers but on the other hand, they have on several occasions called me when a customer asked about where to sell some silver and/or gold and I've made some good purchases. If something odd comes through their till they will save it for me even though they know what I'm looking for and could keep it for them selves and if they move to a different branch that isn't on my route they will call and alert me to anything special they have. So it's well worth the little bit of extra for the treats.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
Personally if I was a teller and someone brought me something that was home cooked or baked, I would toss it. Nothing against anyone who does this but I wouldnt want to eat something from a stranger bringing something to me. Maybe its just me and my quirks but I am sure some others feel the same way. I definately would make sure what every you bring them is factory sealed.

What part of East Texas are you in Apush? I went to college in East Texas and loved the area.

Maybe not from a stranger, but I've been doing this at this ban for many years so I don't think I would be considered a stranger. Home baked goodies are usually only at Christmas. I know it's a different world from the one I grew up in and folks are more suspicious these days and we are all worse off because of it.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, I don't each much of the treats that come from students. Any one recall a couple of years back when a student entered a Texas school and filled goodies with drugs? Nope, think I will give the tellers wrapped items. It is unfortunate, but reality just the same.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some companies have a policy that their employees can not accept gifts from customers or vendors. It softens the employee up and the customer or vendor could pull a fast one because they have their trust.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
A dozen donuts works great for me. They are always happy and I leave with my 2 boxes happier! I got a nice card from them for Christmas and everyone signed it and thanked me for the kind thought.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Just tried this week to give 2 tellers gift cards one for holding several rolls of wheaties for me and the other for putting me onto 2 solid rolls of franks and walkers couple weeks ago. She was tickled but said they couldnt accept them it was a ethics thing, but if I wanted to I could bring candy or something for all of them. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread