My oldest dime yet....almost worn slick...and no cheesy haircut reference.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as I was looking through a bag of dimes tonight, I heard the distinct silver sound...and I noticed an almost slick looking metal piece where the sound was coming from.

I picked it up and the one side just look slick, but the other side had a wreath with the words, "One Dime" in it. Cool, a Barber dime. :D Too bad the date is probably unreadable. :'(

So I set it aside, and finished doing the rest of that bag and a couple of the bags of pennies I had picked up today.

Finally decided to call it a night as I could feel my eyes drooping a bit so brought my findings over into a better light and figured I would see if I could possibly read the date on that old dime under magnification.

Now you have to realize that the front had essentially no design left and the back only had the faint outline of the inside of the wreath and "One Dime" at least to the naked eye.

So here I was twisting the dime in many different angles under magnification to see if I could find a date or not. I never did end up reading the date, but because I could finally faintly (and I do mean faintly) see the outline on the obverse when turned in the light just right under magnification, I realized that instead of undated Barber dime, I had just found my first Seated dime which means it was guaranteed to be older than the Barbers I had found previously. Woohoo!

Because of the wreath design I can date it between 1860 and 1891....but that is as close I will ever come. Oh well, still happy to have it. ;D

Results of the other stuff will be in my weekly report when I finish the other 5 bags I picked up and any others I should pick up tomorrow.

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theredemption said:
mistergee said:
rule #20"
What's rule 20?

"RULE20
If you find a barber and post " i found a Barber" in the forum no one wil care. YOU MUST MAKE A CHEESY HAIRCUTTING REFERANCE."

Gman's dime was bald so he didn't get visited by a Barber. But he was able to take a seat and enjoy his new find. :icon_thumright:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can we see a pic of your bald barber

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread