Morgan Silver Dollars

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
tim2357 said:
Why? aren't they both 90% ???

Yes they are 90%, but they weigh a little more than 2-90% halves together weigh.

But the big difference is that the old silver dollars carry a premium over their melt, unlike almost all halves.

I assume the poster wants to increase the number of silver ounces he is holding by letting go of the higher premium silver dollars in exchange for junk 90% halves.

Jim

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010
I would be intrested PM me or email me with more details. IE what you want and what years you have.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
It depends on the condition of the Morgans. Many are only worth whatever the silver price is. They are also less than 1oz. Now, if you have GSA CC Morgans in their original packaging, we are talking some nice cash! :headbang: They are a nice coin!

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morgan dollar weighs: 26.73 grams
Silver Half weighs: 12.5 grams
Silver quarter weighs: 6.25 grams

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He offered me 1 Morgan in return for 8 quarters and told me it was a "good deal"..

26.73 grams in exchange for 50 grams.... "good deal"?

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Jim You said just what I did. They are not worth much. If they are slabbed they are. If they are GSA CC Morgans they are worth hundreds each!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on condition of the Morgans. I would trade 8 circ. sil quarters for a BU common date pre-21 Morgan.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Depends on the area , the so called "junk" morgans in my area [coin shows\dealers] go for about 16 to 21 dollars. Not that im timing the market but i did notice the price for them doesnt fluctuate with the market like halves do.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
For $2 in silver quarters I would want the Morgans to be AU/BU common coins.

Maine_Jim

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he's been talking about melt value... I haven't been able to get him to post any Morgan's and until he does, I will only assume that they are in "Good" shape ... at best. Why won't you post a picture?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread