Remarkable Day Hunting Halves!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I woke up very early this morning and tried a new approach to hunting for rolled halve dollars.? I selected several banks from the surrounding area I live in and I called each and asked if they had rolled havles for sale.? Everyone was very helpful on the telephone, and I wrote down what bank address and how many rolls each had.? I hit all the banks that said they had halves.

The morning part of today's search proved to be UNBELIEVABLE to me.? I brought home around $300.00 in halves and I found 9 (40% silver).? Also one bank gave me a roll of Ike Dollars, which I had never seen them rolled before I just knew the roll looked different.? I went straight home and searched everything.? Then I decided to hit a few more banks, and I'm so happy that I did.? One bank only had one roll of halves and I took it. I'm drving and I look at the roll and the name "Adele" was written on it.? I thought Adele is an older name, and maybe an older person that deposited them.? So then I turn the other part of the roll around and I see "1967 Halves? ?(1992) written on it.? I open one end of the roll and see a 1967 and I decided to put it down as I didn't want to have an accident.

So I get home and I check the 1967 roll, and low and behold it was all 1967.? YEAH!!? Then I called that bank later and I asked if they could check the vault to see if there were any more rolled halves.? Of couse there wasn't but the girl told me she had $8.00 in loose halves.? I told her I would take them.? After I serched the $8.00 in loose halvs, I found another 1964 (90% silver).? ?:o

So I have about one hour before all banks close and I decided to check out some more.? I asked one bank about the rolls and she said she has 5 rolls so I took them.? Then she says we have more but it will take 15 minutes to get them, so I wait.? Meanwile I'm looking at the 5 rolls, and there was nothing.

So I bought $300.00 in rolled halves and I just thought that the rolls had been searched before I even began. Seems the person that tuned ALL of them in has a special stamp made just with his name to stamp each wrapper.? I was right, ALL the rolls had been searched.

I have come to the conclusion that if a bank has 300 or more rolls of halves available, and they didn't order them from Brinks; it generally means that they had one person bring a lot in at once and this usually is from a? roll seacher.? ?Of couse banks also have to wait until they $500.00 in halves to sell them back to Brinks.? ?So it's a gamble when a bank has a LOT of them on hand.

Just wondering if the Ikes' are worth anything,since none of them contain silver?? Your answers are gretly appreicated.

I also heard one guy that came thru the teller window with rolled nickles and the teller was asking if he had put up a nickle on ebay.? Seems he found a nickle with the year strike 999( the one was left off. He said it's on ebay at $8.00 currently.

Sure makes you wonder just how many people other than yourself are coin searching in your area.

Pennyworth

Attachments

• Halves11.jpg
    Halves11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Halves22.jpg
    Halves22.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 449
  • Ikes11.jpg
    Ikes11.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
PS They did make 40% Ikes from 71-76. I can't tell from your picture. They would have an "S" mintmark. If not you still only paid face for them!!!! Spend them at the local stores and see what kind of looks you get :D
HH
Greg

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Nice haul! I ordered $1000 in halves from the Fed from my bank...Will be here on Friday. Also have a connection at my bank who will let me know when they roll the halves they have received. They have a coin rolling machine for their customers but only roll when they get $500. Should be good pickings! HH

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I didn't think of calling the bank and asking them for halfs, good idea! I always go in and ask if I happen to be downtown. Those Ikes are worth a little bit above face value if not worn to pieces :)

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
gregl01 said:
PS They did make 40% Ikes from 71-76. I can't tell from your picture. They would have an "S" mintmark. If not you still only paid face for them!!!! Spend them at the local stores and see what kind of looks you get :D
HH
Greg

Thank you, I knew about the S mint mark on the Ikes indicating that they have 40% silver,but none of mine have the S mint mark. I have 3 Ikes that I saved from when I was a teenager that have the S mint mark. I wish a few of these had them. lol However, I did have a great day with very good results. I don't know it can get better than this,at least for me that is. Some of you guys surprise me with what you find. Keep at it, and let's get the majority of the silver halves out of circulation. ;)

Killerwine, can't wait to hear about your next search, and I wish you a lot of luck.

Jake, calling the banks really worked well for me. I made a driving route schedule in the morning so I didn't waste any time getting to the banks. Also, I knew just how much money I needed to have to buy all the halves.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Now thats using your head's, who ever thought of calling bank's Kudo's but how many of those people you talked to kept them for them selves?

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
dano91 said:
Now thats using your head's, who ever thought of calling bank's Kudo's but how many of those people you talked to kept them for them selves?

Actually, I don't think any of the banks that I called wanted to keep the halves. It seems any time I go into a bank and ask for halves they are very happy to get them out of their bank. I stopped back at one of the banks today that I had gone to on Monday and I got the same teller that sold the halves on Monday. She didn't have any today,but she told me to call and ask for the halves so I didn't waste my time and gas driving to the bank. Now that was considerate and polite of her. I think halves are like the plague to a bank. ;D

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
All the tellers around here seem to be very happy to get rid of them...Not sure how they will feel when I turn in $1000 of them next week! My bank only charges $5 to count and re-roll them in their machine....

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Great finds, good haul Pennyworth !

1st. Banks are in the business of selling coins they get them from the government cheaper than face value the government makes a profit from the banks and the banks turn a profit from us... or something like that!

2nd. Banks must not give you a hard time for buying and selling coins because it is the banks business to give coins for cash and the other way around. What about all the stores that need rolls of coins. So if a bank gives you a hard time for doing this sue them.

3rd. Those Ike's you have are a great find! They are getting more and more rare daily keep them, I am in the market for some but both my coin dealers are out of stock.

I guess thats it!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread