Brand new guy with a question

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi and well met. I greatly appreciate you guys on this forum and have had a blast with this hobby. Question is as ive read through that you guys consider 2002 kennedys and up keepers. Just curious if they have a higher than face value or if they are just ones to hold on to. Thanks very much and happy hunting.

JD

Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
This is a much debated topic......the NIFC coins after 2002 are still clad so most tend to think that because of inflation that they will not retain their value over time. There was a pretty good response written comparing these halves to the bicentennial halves and quarters of 1976. To each his own....personally I keep 2 from each mint and throw the rest back in the wild.

Holmes

Sep 7, 2009
Grand Rapids Michigan
Personally i look at them the same as a 1987 thats almost a 25 year old coin they made 2.5 million of, and is really only worth a buck or two, i can earn more interest in my bank account than i could holding it for 25 years!

Just an opinion tho.....do what you will

HH
~Holmes~

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
You might have more fun trying to fill a book of halves. The NIFCs would go nicely in a book and probably be worth a wee bit more as a set.
Keep having fun. When the chase becomes work,it loses some of the fun. JP

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Some may fetch a few bucks for em on ebay, altho I've heard people will also bid on dirty undies there too.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the NIFC coins actually had under 2 million minted, that's a pretty small number. I am building a collection, and keep all the NIFC halves. I will also keep an extra for each year to hold down the road to sell. Right now they're probobly worth like 75 cents maybe a dollar a peice, but in years to come I'm sure they will be worth a lot more, in BU quality.

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks very much again. Very informative. I actually use to coin roll hunt 25 years ago when i was 12. And just recently started again last week. Ive been having one of those "wish i knew then what i do now" moments about every 5 minutes since restarting last week. My brother and I would literally go to a well known restaurant that would keep large open change machines where you could see the silver halves and quarters. If they liked you you could just ask for the silver edges, and 25 years ago those silver edges were almost every 5th coin in the stack. At 12 years of age however there just wasnt much capital to work with and there was way to many packs of bubble gum to buy.

So far in a weeks time ive opened 164 rolls. Have found 18 x %40's, 1x proof 71s, 10 x 2003-2006, 1x 1908 GB penny, 1x Army commemorative kennedy, 2x gold colored kennedys. Im quite happy with the results but still sitting on the edge of my seat for a 90 percenter. Anyway I had quite a few strange rolls today of 1984s and 1997s. About 10 rolls of them that literally looked brand new. The rims were sharp and the color was like new. As though someone was collecting freshly minted kennedys years ago and recently decided to cash um up.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Im with the guy who says bank intrest in 25 years will be better. I think using the 50 cents to buy another roll of pennies and not even searching them for 25 years will be a more cost effective way to go.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
JD-GA said:
...So far in a weeks time ive opened 164 rolls. Have found 18 x %40's, 1x proof 71s, 10 x 2003-2006, 1x 1908 GB penny, 1x Army commemorative kennedy...

What is an Army commemorative Kennedy? Also nice find on the 1908 Penny.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrDetector said:
JD-GA said:
...So far in a weeks time ive opened 164 rolls. Have found 18 x %40's, 1x proof 71s, 10 x 2003-2006, 1x 1908 GB penny, 1x Army commemorative kennedy...

What is an Army commemorative Kennedy? Also nice find on the 1908 Penny.
I want to know what it is also.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Keep those NIFC's .. low mintage.. will definitely be worth more than 50 cents 50 years from now.. 2010 Kennedy's so far figures to be even less than last years. I wonder if we're still able to order halves 50 years from now.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Keep them and give them as gifts for children or grandchildren. Either that, or better yet, start a complete set of Kennedy half dollars using the Dansco Books. Then give 'em to your kids. I have about five complete sets to hand down. Not a sermon, just a thought.
rileyboy

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
enamel7 said:
Well???? What is it? ???

Its called "Army Jfk Commemorative Half Dollar". I dont know much about it except that you can buy one in original packaging with card for 5.95$ so my guess is my well circulated one isnt worth much more than half a buck. It honestly looks like someone put a green sticker on it but when i tried to scratch a little off it appears to be more paint/metallic like. Either way its not very attractive and doesnt appear rare.

The 1908 Great britain penny also seems to not be rare at all. Pretty cool to find something that old but sure wish it was 1908 U.S minted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions