What is the most amount of halves people here have spent once at a place?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just out of curiousity. People here complain about dumping but what is the most amount of halves people have spent at once and at what place? This might provide a good place for ideas about getting rid of unwanted halves.

I remember 7 years ago, I bought a fax machine at Fry's Electronics and paid part of it with $80 in rolled halves. Other part in debit card. Big stores seem to ok with that but they had to ask their manager about the coins. Most of the employees at Fry's up in the SF BayArea are foreign and haven't seen halves before. I try to use halves as much as possible.

I really want to use a bunch to pay off my medical bills in halves to really show them what a rip off the medical care system and bills are. Also pay in hand rolled paper rolls, they might think that they have been in someone's estate for a long time instead of the bank rolls they came in. Some of the employees might be inclined to keep some of them instead of them all going back to the bank.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
DrDetector said:
Diver_Down said:
Well, if my mortgage doesn't count, then I'll claim the prize by paying $3k at an auction house. They put up a gruff as they wanted me to pay via credit card, but I didn't want to pay the increased Buyers Premium (13 % vs. 10%). They ended up taking them. Best part is the auction house was in a different district than my supply. If that doesn't count, then my $790 that I dumped on Kellyco in their showroom surely must.

What did you get from Kellyco directly from the showroom?

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and scoop. I buy from their showroom all the time. I rather see and inspect the items before I walk out. Had another land detector sent to me 3 years ago. It was a PITA when it didn't work to have to return it and get another shipped. It takes me about 2 hr to drive one way. I'd rather drive then deal with the inconvenience of shipping.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
SFBayArea said:
Did Obediah really pay $800 in halves? I just can't imagine it or picture it. Hope it was rolled. Obediah, tell us the story if you're reading this.

Nope it was loose, they run it through their Coin Machine- don't forget our Taxes can be paid at certain local Banks which is where I did pay it. Almost wish had a mortgage to pay, almost!

I always pay for my gasoline in Halves at a local station owned by an Iramian fella he always thanks me for my business too; fill about 60 gallons in Gas Cans & every 5 months cycle it thru my Pickup truck till it is all gone then go to fill them all up again- and of course pay in Halves ( I store gas for my generator should need it want plenty to last a couple weeks, it came in handy few years ago when when lived in Mo winter storm took out Power for 5 days).

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
So I used $50 in halves as part of my pay for my pickup prescription at Costco. The key was that the rolls were paper rolled (not bank rolled) and were stuffed with 2001-D halves that someone intentionally scratched the shield on the reverse (they were sleeper marked coins). They were shiny but had flaws like large scratches. I wrote on the wrapper "2001-D Last year of circulation". The key I just figured to get people to keep such coins is to write something on the roll to make them seem rare or worth keeping for the future. The Philipino guy there looked like he was interested and wanted to keep them. I thought "YES!!" .. won't get those back in a box of skunks. He asked me why I had so many.. I told him I had no money and have to use my coin collection now to pay for things.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking to start using Coinstar as a dumping source. But I don't need that many gift cards. Has anyone looked into getting the Green Dot prepaid Mastercards from Coinstar? I've been trying to figure out the details but there doesn't seem to be anything posted. If there were no real fees then that would be the best way for me to go. I know that Green Dot charges a monthly fee if you don't carry a large enough balance. So I'd need the Coinstar machine to be able to reload an existing card otherwise the fees would kill the idea. Does anyone know if there are extra fees for getting a Green Dot card through Coinstar? Can you reload an existing card?

Any thoughts or experiences to share on this?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
mts said:
I've been looking to start using Coinstar as a dumping source. But I don't need that many gift cards. Has anyone looked into getting the Green Dot prepaid Mastercards from Coinstar? I've been trying to figure out the details but there doesn't seem to be anything posted. If there were no real fees then that would be the best way for me to go. I know that Green Dot charges a monthly fee if you don't carry a large enough balance. So I'd need the Coinstar machine to be able to reload an existing card otherwise the fees would kill the idea. Does anyone know if there are extra fees for getting a Green Dot card through Coinstar? Can you reload an existing card?

I'm not sure what this has to do with the current thread. You might want to start a new one so this doesn't get lost. If you search for the subject Coinstar Dumping, you'll see a thread I started. Not all coinstar machines are able to "communicate" to issue a gift card. If you attempt a gift card and it can't issue one, they'll issue you a cash voucher free of charges.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
mts said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with the current thread. You might want to start a new one so this doesn't get lost. If you search for the subject Coinstar Dumping, you'll see a thread I started. Not all coinstar machines are able to "communicate" to issue a gift card. If you attempt a gift card and it can't issue one, they'll issue you a cash voucher free of charges.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Someone else in this thread started talking about alternatives to spending them which included coinstar machines. I was following up on that train of thought. I'll be sure to check out your other thread. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread