ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first $1000 order of halves were delayed from arriving yesterday until tomorrow. Still too much snow to metal detect, too cold to fish, so I decided to hit every bank I could find looking for halves and also to hopefully find another dump bank as I had only found one and felt I needed at least one more so as to "not wear out my welcome." Very first bank had $2 loose and $50 in customer rolls. Couldn't wait, checked them in the parking lot, all skunks. At the second bank, the teller said she 1 lone half. I asked if they had any stashed away in the vault. She checked and said the computer showed they had $24. I told her I would take them. They're all loose and I hear the wonderful sound of multiple silver as she's counting them on a table too far away for me to see. Since I'm still new to this, of course I have visions of $24 worth of Walkers dancing in my head. A little disappointed, (but not much) to find 3 40%ers in the take. 2 '68Ds and 1 very shiny 69D. I hit probably 20+ more banks and found a whole $14 in loose halves. All skunks. On the way home, I stop at a quik-mart for a soda. The guy in front of me pays with $5 all in halves. I scoop those up as well (to the delight of the cashier - they wouldn't fit in the register). All skunks, but I felt as though it was a lucky "free shot" anyway. On the way home I notice a little bank I had completely forgotten about. How I'd missed it I have no idea as its a whole 3 miles from my house. They had no halves, but they have a coin counter. I was completely honest with the manager telling her about our hobby. She said she'd be happy to open an account for me and that they had another branch not too far away that had a counter as well. I used my halves to open my account. Not a bad start to the day. My first 3 silver halves CRHing and I tripled the places I have to dump.

After lunch, I decided that I just had to have some more coins to go through today. I have purchased maybe $2000 so far in dimes total. All of the silver so far has come from one bank (not like I'm finding dream rolls, but everywhere else has been total skunks). I decide to buy all the times they will sell me...which turns out to be $350. While the teller is in the back getting my dimes, I glance at the teller's tray just like always. No halves, but I spot the rim of a silver dime. The teller is a very nice elderly "grandmother-type" woman. I decide to try and make some brownie points. I ask her if she collects silver coins, intending to show her the dime so she can snatch it up. To my surprise, she says, No. Do you see something in my tray that you want? Take anything out of there you like." and pushes the tray closer so I can get a good look. I swap her a clad dime for a '47D Rosie. She asked how I knew it was silver. I showed her the rim compared to clad, explained that all '64 and before quarters & dimes and all 1970 and before halves were silver and that I collect them. She goes on to further shock me by saying that she will keep her eyes open for me and save all the silver she finds for me. The $350 yielded a lone '46 Rosie, but I still haven't skunked at this bank. Not a bad day at all.

Upvote 0

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Nice story untill you explained to the teller how and what silver is. Teaching tellers about silver is only a good idea if they will save them for you , otherwise each one you tell is not only a possible collector but they may tell someone or 2 or 3 or 4 or those they tell may tell 1 or 2 or 3. Get the idea? I and all my silver are proof that loose lips sink ships. Of course I am also a hypocryte as i have told a few friends but never a teller.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a pretty good day! :icon_thumleft:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quiksilver said:
Nice story untill you explained to the teller how and what silver is. Teaching tellers about silver is only a good idea if they will save them for you , otherwise each one you tell is not only a possible collector but they may tell someone or 2 or 3 or 4 or those they tell may tell 1 or 2 or 3. Get the idea? I and all my silver are proof that loose lips sink ships. Of course I am also a hypocryte as i have told a few friends but never a teller.
I disagree. She was obviously not interested, plus said she would save them for him.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
quiksilver said:

I disagree. The only exception to not telling the tellers is the old tellers. The silver coinage circulated widely when they were younger and are jaded to the inherent precious metal value. They could care less. To her, it is still just a dime.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was wrong to show the teller how to spot silver. Then again, maybe the next time I walk in there, she has a pile waiting for me. At any rate, that bank is neither my main supply bank, nor dump bank. Its just pretty close to home and the one I was planning to use if I needed "a quick fix" of coins to search. She has waited on me the 4 or 5 times I've been there and is a very sweet elderly woman that reminds me of my grandmother. One day next week I will take her a scented candle or some little something to show her my appreciation. I'll bet that scores me some coins that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I also feel that it is important to keep tellers happy to avoid getting "cut off." I have a whole $50 in my account in their bank and that probably won't ever fluctuate much. In all honesty, I will cost this bank more time, trouble, and money than my meager little account is worth. If the tellers like me, I'm betting that I never have a problem. I'm also betting that every time I walk in there to buy coins, I also get to check out her tray for any goodies. Maybe all I will have done is to make one elderly woman smile for just a moment in an otherwise dull day at work. That would be enough for me. I guess deep down I'm still trying to disprove the theory that "nice guys finish last."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread