Change we can believe in ... not. (The Coin Counter Scam)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BETWEEN THE negligible interest they pay us and the bonanza bonuses they pay themselves, we have reason to hate big banks.

Here's one more: One of them may be shorting you on the free coin-counting service it offers.

Stephen Starkey, a 55-year-old painting contractor, told me that it happened to him - twice - in the Aston branch of TD Bank. The first time, last year, it was only a suspicion. Last Jan. 19 it became a certainty because Starkey patiently counted $286 in coins before running them through the coin counter. He got a receipt for $241.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/stu_bykofsky/83784447.html

Upvote 0

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

Upon reading the comments I was amazed how:
1. folks were derisive of others saving coins , and
2. seemed to support the banks over the customer.
What gives ?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

I think that most average people who take their change to the banks don't know how much it is since they have been saving it up in jars, etc, that is why they would not know if they were shorted or not.

I have to say though based on my own experiences, the only times I have been shorted is when I cashed in dimes at a couple of particular locations (not TD banks, we don't have those here that I am aware of) and they were counted as pennies. With halves I have not noticed a shortage ever.

Jim

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I've actually come out ahead a few times at TD. Machine jams and tellers that don't know how the machine works. they throw counted coind back in the hopper. One bank I dump at drops halves out the bottom onto floor.

Joad

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

I guess I will never "test" a TD bank since it sounds like just a waste of time...

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008

I don't trust machines. Period.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

LOL. If you have a period at the end of a sentance do you need to spell out the period and then follow it with another period?? I am just kidding around... thought it was funny.

golden silver

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you.

Just taking the stuffing out.

Fathead

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010
I use TD bank coin counters, and i have been shorted a few times. The staff at the locations i go to have always been nice enough to open it up and clean out all of the coins and just give them to me. Then they will trust me and pay me up to the amount i said.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
"All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you"

I sleep fine. Some machines actually do a good job and make life a lot easier. Do I trust them to always work? No. Do I drop money into them blindly and expect they'll give me the exact amount I'm due? Of course not.
I don't see it as a conspiracy but then I'm not surprised when the heat pump goes out on the coldest day of the year either.
I can co-exist with machines and use them to my advantage but trust them- never.

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
craigpcdmc said:
I use TD bank coin counters, and i have been shorted a few times. The staff at the locations i go to have always been nice enough to open it up and clean out all of the coins and just give them to me. Then they will trust me and pay me up to the amount i said.
I use TD bank coin counters as well, they take any coins, even tokens(tried it last time) :tongue3:

Mar 22, 2010
i really can't argue with other people who don't trust machines. i, for one, has a money counter or two purchased from a reliable company for a small cafeteria i manage. TD? it has never been my choice but hey, a bank is something that stores money from nothing... zeitgeist is one conspiracy theory that interests me :read2:

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
No problems so far at my bank, If I search a box and pull silver I replace it with clad or know what Im putting in and it always adds up.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005

dp2013 said:
I don't trust machines. Period.

Machines aren't the thing you shouldn't trust. It is the people who set up and run the machines that you shouldn't trust.

Basically if the tellers thought they could use sleight of hand and tricks to steal your money from you, they wouldn't have the machines would they?

Trust is a human quality. Machines are machines. They are not human. They neither deserve or require your trust.

You simply do not understand what they are there for. You think that they are all there to serve you and make your life easier. They are not, at least not these machines. They are there to skim a few extra per cent profit from you because the average person is too nice and doesn't want to argue with a machine....

mcnelson

Mar 22, 2010
fathead said:
All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you.

Just taking the stuffing out.

Fathead

amen brother! atm's, money counter, vending machine (?), or anything. c'mon. not all machine will kick your butt...

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ran across a neat bank the other day about the size half gallon container with a digital counter on top once its filled I figure I'll pour the change into a bank bag with a note to the amount, and continue to fill the bag ready for dumping. Cost $9.95.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
onfire said:
ran across a neat bank the other day about the size half gallon container with a digital counter on top once its filled I figure I'll pour the change into a bank bag with a note to the amount, and continue to fill the bag ready for dumping. Cost $9.95.

Got a link to this device?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread