Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: Kennedy "Not Issued for Circulation" Question

From 2002 forward they are not intended for circulation. We call it NIFC.

Look at prior threads on this board for who does what with them, and their values. It hasd been discussed a lot. :-)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

Half dollars from 2002 + are Not Intended for Circulation coins, or "NIFC" for short. These mintages are very low, and some people believe that they will eventually increase in value. 1970 and 1987 are also "NIFC" half dollars. Most NIFC half dollars are relatively easy and common to find (except for 1970). Most people just keep one-two rolls of each date and mint.

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010

according to the red book, the 2001 P is also NIFC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

their meant for "proof sets" and collectors --not for general use as "change" --thus "not intened for curculation" or use as money but rather as "collector items".

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

ivan salis said:
their meant for "proof sets" and collectors --not for general use as "change" --thus "not intened for curculation" or use as money but rather as "collector items".

This may be a erroneous statement? I'm pretty sure NIFC's are NOT proof coins......

Mojo

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

coinmojo said:
ivan salis said:

This may be a erroneous statement? I'm pretty sure NIFC's are NOT proof coins......

Mojo

But proof coins are not intended for circulation.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

proof coins and others not intend for use as "everyday money" are --"not intended for circulation" --proof coins are meant not to be taken out of their holders and used as money -- thus they too would be not intended for circulation just like the normal plain jane NIFC are. the proof sets just are higher grade coins is all , cheese 4 coins gets my drift perfectly . :icon_thumright:

NOT ALL NIFC ARE PROOF COINS , BUT ALL PROOF COINS ARE NIFC -- NIFC ARE MADE FOR COIN COLLECTORS BASICALLY..

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

craigpcdmc said:
according to the red book, the 2001 P is also NIFC
That's a misprint. Look at the total minted.

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010

"that's a missprint"
Thats what i thought, but thats what it says. Thanks!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

ivan salis said:
proof coins and others not intend for use as "everyday money" are --"not intended for circulation" --proof coins are meant not to be taken out of their holders and used as money -- thus they too would be not intended for circulation just like the normal plain jane NIFC are. the proof sets just are higher grade coins is all , cheese 4 coins gets my drift perfectly . :icon_thumright:

NOT ALL NIFC ARE PROOF COINS , BUT ALL PROOF COINS ARE NIFC -- NIFC ARE MADE FOR COIN COLLECTORS BASICALLY..

Just wanted to be sure that the rookies on this thread don't get the idea that NIFC's coins are proof quality, and we are talking about coins that are struck the same way Business struck coins are produced. They are just made in a much smaller quantity than prior to 2001 and number in the 2 too 3.5 million range, that would be "CONSIDERED" N I F C.

A PROOF coin, that is obviously not intended for circulation, has a whole different process and finish and are packaged with the intention of being preserved and are generally sealed in a case.

However the NIFC's are not PROOF coins. And are produced I would imagine specifically to satisfy the demand from the collecting community, and are not seald but rather are rolled just like other business stike coins.

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

coinmojo said:
ivan salis said:

Just wanted to be sure that the rookies on this thread don't get the idea that NIFC's coins are proof quality, and we are talking about coins that are struck the same way Business struck coins are produced. They are just made in a much smaller quantity than prior to 2001 and number in the 2 too 3.5 million range, that would be "CONSIDERED" N I F C.

A PROOF coin, that is obviously not intended for circulation, has a whole different process and finish and are packaged with the intention of being preserved and are generally sealed in a case.

However the NIFC's are not PROOF coins. And are produced I would imagine specifically to satisfy the demand from the collecting community, and are not seald but rather are rolled just like other business stike coins.

Mojo

Nice Job, Mojo, on the clarification. Ivan has been "loose" in his definition and usage of proof coins before. More seasoned veterans know what he is referring to, but newbies might be confused. (No offense, Ivan).

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

The US Mint does not release halves to be circulated anymore. If you want for instance a 2010 Half dollar you must buy it at a premium from the mint. The most likely reason you can find them in rolls is someone either just cashed them in because they needed the money or a collector pulled out the choice coins from a roll or bag and dumped the rest.

Joad

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, big fuss over some NIFC's... Anyone who has seen a proof coins knows the difference.. Some people on here might not have ever seen a real proof coin yet. Bottom line is that NIFC coins are worth keeping, at least a roll of em, maybe even a roll of each year/mint. Someday they will be worth more money.
If you look at other coins in the past that have low mintages, such as a 1950D nickel for instance. They only minted like 2 million of those. It is considered on of the hardest Jefferson nickels to come across, and they are worth far more than face value. I've seen them on ebay going for 10-15 dollars a pop, and people do bid on them. I have only found 2 of those in all the nickels I have searched. Just an example of how low mintages will be worth more money down the road. Most NIFC halves only had about 2 million minted, some of them below 2 million. Just imagine in 10-20 years how difficult they will be to find. Just keep them if they are in good shape guys, can't realy hurt to.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

timbobwey said:
Wow, big fuss over some NIFC's... Anyone who has seen a proof coins knows the difference.. Some people on here might not have ever seen a real proof coin yet. Bottom line is that NIFC coins are worth keeping, at least a roll of em, maybe even a roll of each year/mint. Someday they will be worth more money.
If you look at other coins in the past that have low mintages, such as a 1950D nickel for instance. They only minted like 2 million of those. It is considered on of the hardest Jefferson nickels to come across, and they are worth far more than face value. I've seen them on ebay going for 10-15 dollars a pop, and people do bid on them. I have only found 2 of those in all the nickels I have searched. Just an example of how low mintages will be worth more money down the road. Most NIFC halves only had about 2 million minted, some of them below 2 million. Just imagine in 10-20 years how difficult they will be to find. Just keep them if they are in good shape guys, can't realy hurt to.

Hate to burst your bubble, but just because there is a low mintage does not guarantee a windfall 20 years from now. The reason the 50-D fetches those prices is because relatively few were saved at the time. Consequently, current demand exceeds the current supply. In 20 years from now, the NIFC halves might indeed appreciate in value, but don't hold out hope waiting for the windfall. There is more than an adequate supply that is being saved that has never seen circulation from mint rolls and bags. In 20 years, this ample supply will still be available.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Well... with such low mintages like 1.9 million.. not everyone in America can have one (that is if coin collecting will ever be a fad). My guess is that they will be worth some premium in the future but not immediately. 30 to 50 years will be more like it. Save them for your kids or grandkids.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

SFBayArea said:
Well... with such low mintages like 1.9 million.. not everyone in America can have one (that is if coin collecting will ever be a fad). My guess is that they will be worth some premium in the future but not immediately. 30 to 50 years will be more like it. Save them for your kids or grandkids.

In the world of coins 1.9 million is not a low number for non-circulated coins.

Some of the first spouse gold coins (which obviously are NIFC) will have mintages less than 10 thousand each due to the lack of demand from buyers. Might be good future bets if you are into gold coins.

My 2 cents.

Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver, your not bursting my bubble. I don't keep every NIFC I see. All I'm saying that it's not a bad idea to keep maybe a few rolls on top of what you have in your own collection. They might be worth hanging on to for the time ahead, or they might not be. But keeping an extra roll or two isn't going to break the bank, u know what I mean. U never know, they might appreciate more than we think.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with you Sfbay. Keep some for your kids, or they're kids. They would make a neat gift in 20 years anyway, that'd be cool.

Wayne42

Sep 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What date is your Red Book? Nowhere in my 2012 Redbook does it say that 2001 Kennedy halves were NIFC. It started in 2002.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread