Pittsburgh, Pa Armored Cars

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
It shouldn't matter. Either way the coins you search are going to be 99% dumps from one person or another (at least the halves). I just started finding a ton of halves with a big 'R' written on either the front or back. Seen any of those?

OP
OP
davew0710

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I agree that most coins I see are someone else's dumps. My last four boxes were complete skunks. That hasn't happened in a couple of months. The last couple of weeks, the marked coins have been coming in hot and heavy. I have seen the "R" marks. When I opened one box last week, the halves looked like they were decorated for Christmas. Almost every end coin was marked with a different color. Have you seen those?

DrDetector said:
It shouldn't matter. Either way the coins you search are going to be 99% dumps from one person or another (at least the halves). I just started finding a ton of halves with a big 'R' written on either the front or back. Seen any of those?

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
davew0710 said:
I agree that most coins I see are someone else's dumps. My last four boxes were complete skunks. That hasn't happened in a couple of months. The last couple of weeks, the marked coins have been coming in hot and heavy. I have seen the "R" marks. When I opened one box last week, the halves looked like they were decorated for Christmas. Almost every end coin was marked with a different color. Have you seen those?

DrDetector said:

In the past there have been very few marks coins in our area. I would read on this forum how folks were finding like you described, with any mark imaginable. I even admit to marking a few during a period from 1999-2006ish to try to figure out the circulation system of the half dollar. All I learned was that I would get my dumps back anywhere from 1 month to 6 months. I had a good system of determining when I marked each coin but I'm not going to get into it as it's just going to cause another 'marking coins is stupid' debate which has been played out a thousand times here. But the point is the marking still didn't tell me where the coins went after I dumped them.

And no, haven't seen the colorful rainbow as you describe, but definitely been seeing a lot more the last few months. The black dot in Kennedy's ear has been around forever, that one I see the most I think. Don't see any of the colored rim marks though. 4 skunks in a row is pretty bad, sounds like my November/December of 2009. Then again 2010 hasn't been too kind either...I still have not found a 90%er in a box, just a handful of 40s.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just started getting the colored marks on the rims. A few bags back it looked like someone just took all the halves, lined them up and marked multiple colorful lines on the rims. A quarter of them had the faces marked also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread