Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for beginner's luck

Wow. Not the start I dreamed of. First 2 boxes of halves = skunk. Last 5 boxes of dimes = skunk. 6 boxes of pennies = 12 wheats. Nickels have been decent. Averaging maybe 20-25 pre '60s with about 2 war nickels per box. Oh well, should have 4 boxes of halves in Thursday. Hopefully things will pick up. Best wishes and HH.

Upvote 0

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Re: So much for beginner's luck

ArkieBassMan said:
Wow. Not the start I dreamed of. First 2 boxes of halves = skunk. Last 5 boxes of dimes = skunk. 6 boxes of pennies = 12 wheats. Nickels have been decent. Averaging maybe 20-25 pre '60s with about 2 war nickels per box. Oh well, should have 4 boxes of halves in Thursday. Hopefully things will pick up. Best wishes and HH.

My first 4 boxes yielded just a single silver half.

Dont give up.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last year I went 27 half boxes of skunks just to find 2 or 3 40's then back to a 20+ skunk run... :'(

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

20 boxes of skunks? That would make me giveup this hobby. One per box would still kick in the urge but skunks are brutal. You have lots of other searchers in the area?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most I have had was 17 box run of skunks. Its disappointing but it forced me to come up with other stratigies to find a better supply. That has worked out fairly well. Eventually 95-99% of boxes are going to be skunks as more and more silver is pulled and more clad is produced. That day is coming and I dont think its that far off.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

20 skunks is nothing. i know someone here who was over 80 in a row. after that he kept doing it for spite. i think he was trying for 100. can't remember if he made it or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread