Will Coinstar reject silver?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it has been debated if coinstar machines will reject silver or not. I tested it today and found out that it will reject silver. Now I didn't test it on purpose like I have been wanting to. I got sloppy with my last "skunk" bags and rim searched the entire 2k. As I was pouring in the last few halves I noticed there was one that was silver right after I had shoved it down the slot. Well, guess what....seconds later it falls into the reject slot. A 40%er. Also rejected what appeared to be a plated half with something silver looking. Makes me feel better that there is another level of protection on my hasty rim searching. :hello2:
Btw, these are free coinstars supplied by the bank for customers.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure, but I know our vending machines at work reject silver. I scored a silver quarter and a silver dime another time. I was eating lunch and was watching the person trying to get it to take the coin a few times, I heard the silver clanging in the coin return, and bought it from them. I told them it was pre 1964 silver, they did not care, they just wanted to eat. Maybe it rejects silver so they get foreign coins of the same size in the machine.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
It depends on what you mean by the term "Coinstar". If you mean Coinstar brand machines at the grocery store (the green ones), I don't know because I don't use them.

The different types of machines at the banks I go to definitely accept silver halves, because when I buy the bags I find 90% and 40% halves. There is one type of machine (self serve) at one of my banks that seems to reject silver dimes because I find them in the return slot sometimes, but it does take silver halves because I have bought the filled boxes before and found plenty of silver halves (both 90% and 40%).

Jim

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, these are the named Coinstar machines. The green ones you see in the grocery stores. This bank has them in every lobby and are free for bank customers. Another bank I use has these highspeed sorters which I dont think reject silver. It does reject foreigns.

This just got me to thinking, why not just dump all your coins in there and let it sort them out. No need to rim search or look at dates... ::)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered about that,because I always find silver dimes in the coin return tray on the machines.I asked the guy that services our machine where I work and he said that right now the only US coin it rejects is the new presidential coin and maybe I find silver dimes because their dirty,(mind tend to be black in color when I find them).

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Yes, these are the named Coinstar machines. The green ones you see in the grocery stores. This bank has them in every lobby and are free for bank customers. Another bank I use has these highspeed sorters which I dont think reject silver. It does reject foreigns.

This just got me to thinking, why not just dump all your coins in there and let it sort them out. No need to rim search or look at dates... ::)

Do it. Next box that you pick up, take to the lobby and test it out. Be sure to dump some rolls with silver showing on the end so that you "Know" that it works.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i wouldn't take the chance and depend on a machine. i found silver in the reject trays at TD bank's Penny Arcade on occasion but i have also seen full bags replaced and could see the silver dimes and halfs in the bags.(no they will not sell bags). it all depends on how the machine was last calibrated. i know TD calibrates thier's often as they see alot of use. sometimes dimes are counted as pennies. sometimes they reject silver.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
As far as I have heard the CoinStar does reject silver, but I would not want to use that as a primary hunting technique myself, machines are funny things sometimes! also was using one of ours the other day and stuck between the Plexiglas face and the graphics was a silver Rosie! just sitting there, looks like there was a gap right under the opening for the reject bin, there were about 7-8 coins and no way to get them unobtrusively! oh well. HH.

Chuck.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Not only silver, but I've had rejects in my bank coin counter of old wheats too. they get rejected by my Ryedale, and ALSO by the coin counter. Which is a blessing. :-)

I don't miss many, but the rare ones i do mostly get caught at the machine anyway. Although I bet I still let one or two go by here and there. I don't rely on it to do my work, but the counting machine rejects silver and older wheats.

Kinda nice! :-)

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I am under the belief [from these posts] that different machines are set differently , even machines of the same type. If your lucky enuff to have TD bank machines i noticed they often get rejects clogged in the tube so i purposly fill the half bag [usually $100] and ask them to give me the rejects [from the tube] instead of trying to sort them again telling them i will sort out the bent and foreign coins .I have often got money up to $10 in good rejects and often a silver dime or quarter.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the coinstar coin counters ( likethe ones found in syores) do cull silver and reject it to the reject slot (that is why I always check the reject slot if passing by one )-- it will also reject "foreign" money that not steel based or high nickle content --the steel based coins and high nickle content coins will be snagged by its magnet that is inside the machine , it also catches "junk" items --like paperclips, screws and such as well .--the magnet has to be cleaned every so often as junk and magnetic type coins build up and if enough is there , it will jam the coin feed slot - so they have to go in a sweep the "junk" stuff off the magnet now and then -- here in the unitedstates --that means "free" canadian money and other "foreign coins" --if one has the folks at the store save the "junk" coins for you. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread