Tesoro Silver uMax
Upvote 0

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Lots of money. I got really lucky and found a roll with 55 Indians in it in 2008 so I have like 25 of them from CRH'ing alone...none of the keys though. But for some quality G4 semi-keys and the '77 you are gonna really be paying out. Good thing about them is that the coins probably will hold their value very well.

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
My set is starting out rough. I bought some culls on eBay with holes, cleaned, etc. I'm learning quite a bit about them though. That's half the fun of collecting.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
JasonB said:
My set is starting out rough. I bought some culls on eBay with holes, cleaned, etc.

A common mistake.... lol You may think you're saving money but really you're wasting your money in doing that. Two reasons: Those coins will never go up in value due to them being holed and such, and B, you probably overpaid to begin with on those coins. My advice would be, start your set by getting the dates in the 1900's and the 1880's. Those are the most affordable, and you'll have the bulk of the set finished then. I have an Indian set I'm working on, I need about maybe 12 more holes filled? Buy a book too! It makes it A LOT more fun trying to fill it! After I finish my Indian set I'll be working on BU Wheaties. I also got a Merc set in BU that is about half finished. After that I plan on doing my Barbers. But don't buy holed or cleaned coins! Spend a little more and get something that will definitely go up in value! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
DrDetector said:
Lots of money. I got really lucky and found a roll with 55 Indians in it in 2008 so I have like 25 of them from CRH'ing alone...none of the keys though. But for some quality G4 semi-keys and the '77 you are gonna really be paying out. Good thing about them is that the coins probably will hold their value very well.

55 in one roll!? Do you have a post on that? thats CRAZY!!!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a 1909 Indian over the weekend for $2....well technically it was part of a small personal collection I purchased that had 2 coins I wanted, so the price was a blend, but that was the price listed for the 1909 IHC since it was broken down by coin... The 1909 IHC and a 1914-D wheat penny. It still wasn't what I would consider cheap due to the 1914-D, but I think I got a pretty good deal. There were also a couple of 1909 VDB, about 30 steel pennies, a complete set from 1934-1958, and a number of older wheats (pre-1934) some with mintmarks.

Out of curiousity, what is the going rate for a 1914-D in about VG-8? I stopped by a coin show after I bought the coins and all the ones I saw were in better shape and as such, considerably higher priced. Maybe someone has the grey sheet?

I am working on a set of Indians as well, but I generally only buy them when I feel the price is right. :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, buy a detector! My first two years out I have dug some nice early indians, and about 30 total. My oldest a brass '64. Here's a couple:

Attachments

• 1864 [320x200].jpg
    1864 [320x200].jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 419
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 475
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 469
  • 1864 [320x200].jpg
    1864 [320x200].jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 419
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 468
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 457

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I also like the Indian cents. I had a great find to get started. I found a collection in a box of old free books. It contained quite a few of the semi-keys and I now need about six more to finish the set. If you are buying the key dates probably best to get certified PCGS or NGC coins. These will hold the value the best and you won't get ripped off with a cleaned or re-colored or counterfeit coins.

Maine_Jim

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
twinsrule said:
DrDetector said:

55 in one roll!? Do you have a post on that? thats CRAZY!!!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175247.0.html

Not to hijack Jason's thread but since you asked here it is ^. The token I referred to was actually an altered copper-nickel (fattie) IHC. Common to alter them back when they circulated.

But I would disagree about purchasing the culls and fillers. Even those will hold their value for the time being. If you can get say an 1869 (semi-key) w/ a hole for $4 or $5, that coin you're still going to be able to sell for what you paid until you can find a better replacement. You just don't want to pay the cost of a G4 coin for a coin that is AG3 w/ corrosion or anything to that effect.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
I picked up a 1909 Indian over the weekend for $2....well technically it was part of a small personal collection I purchased that had 2 coins I wanted, so the price was a blend, but that was the price listed for the 1909 IHC since it was broken down by coin... The 1909 IHC and a 1914-D wheat penny. It still wasn't what I would consider cheap due to the 1914-D, but I think I got a pretty good deal. There were also a couple of 1909 VDB, about 30 steel pennies, a complete set from 1934-1958, and a number of older wheats (pre-1934) some with mintmarks.

Out of curiousity, what is the going rate for a 1914-D in about VG-8? I stopped by a coin show after I bought the coins and all the ones I saw were in better shape and as such, considerably higher priced. Maybe someone has the grey sheet?

I am working on a set of Indians as well, but I generally only buy them when I feel the price is right. :)

Grey Sheet lists the 1914D in VG as Bid 185 Ask 200.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waseeker said:
GMan00001 said:

Grey Sheet lists the 1914D in VG as Bid 185 Ask 200.

Thanks for the info. I was guessing it was in the $200 range, but I wasn't sure. Still the most I ever paid for a penny, but at least the price was right even if I was just getting the one coin. And with the other goodies thrown in that just confirms I did indeed get a decent deal. :)

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Waseeker,

How can I get access to the greysheets? Is it subscription based?

JasonB

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
JasonB said:
Waseeker,

JasonB

Yupp it's a subscription. It's really made only for Coin dealers and it's kind of a secret from the public, but you can subscribe, and it's the ULTIMATE tool to never over pay. Also try to learn a tad about grading, it helps IMMENSELY when buying. I HIGHLY recommend the ANA Official Standards to Coin Grading. It's a great book with photos and everything! :wink:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My set is almost complete, only need 5 more coins and it is done. And yes I do have the 1877, only other MAJOR one I need is the 1909S. I still need 1864L, 1867, 1871, and 1872. I just have not come across ones yet that I thought were good prices.

Let me tell you it was really hard for me to lay down hundreds of bucks to buy a single penny (1877). But I try to remember it is an investment. I sent it in to be slabbed and graded, the rest are in a dansco album

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAS7NY said:
Goes4ever said:
yes I do have the 1877, only other MAJOR one I need is the 1909S. I still need 1864L, 1867, 1871, and 1872.
The 64L is gonna cost you more than the 1909S. Or at least equal!
not sure what price guide your looking at??? my local coin shop has 1864L in VG8 for 80 bucks and it is hard to find an 09s for less than $400

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
Waseeker,

JasonB

www.greysheet.com

As DAS7NY mentioned, it is a weekly subscription. It comes out once a week and also has monthly and quarterly supplements. It shows bid and ask prices for reported national dealer to dealer transactions. Around these parts it's also pretty much the price guide for a lot of retail transactions. It is available to anyone who wants to spend the money. They also have weekly guides for slabbed coins and currency.

Also the advice to purchase (and learn to use) the ANA Grading Standards Reference is excellent.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Goes4ever said:
DAS7NY said:
Goes4ever said:
yes I do have the 1877, only other MAJOR one I need is the 1909S. I still need 1864L, 1867, 1871, and 1872.
The 64L is gonna cost you more than the 1909S. Or at least equal!
not sure what price guide your looking at??? my local coin shop has 1864L in VG8 for 80 bucks and it is hard to find an 09s for less than $400

LOL, Yeah, my bad... Mistake. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread