Over and Out

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Last week I'm driving through snow to pick up my boxes. I'm driving through the snow to dump. I'm dumping at the last minute yesterday morning so I have enough cash to pick up my 14 boxes. I go to pick up my boxes and I get the farthest and only parking space left, and mistakenly carry five boxes instead of 4 to the car. After I'm loaded up I get to carry these coins up a flight of stairs.
This morning while dumping, making 7 50 pound trips to the bank I started thinking... at 57 years old this is starting to feel like work.
Plus as much as I admired President Kennedy I don't ever want to see his face again be it in silver or clad.
So next week I'll pick up 8 boxes instead of 14 and call it quits for a while. If I pick up the elusive dream box I'm still taking a break.
HH
Rich :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to see you go, but a break is much needed every once in a while. I feel your pain about dumping. I hate it and its the worst part of this hobby. When on dump runs I am so paranoid of the talk by the branch manager. Take a nice break, kick back doing something else and eventually you will get the beckon to get back in. You have had some amazing scores. Good luck on your last boxes, hope you get the ultimate dream score.

AG

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I feel that way sometimes too. There is a little work to do after the fun part.
Wish could afford to say or do that but last year CRH'in really did help stave off penury; this year the finds are soo puny only 2 modest finds so far this year & on top of that my primary Bank the one that did pretty good last year appears to be ready to cut me off another said they will have to start charging me.
Gonna have to find another income source soon CRH'in is not even close to paying the bills this year, so far.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
It is an American trait to take anything that is a fun hobby and turn it into a chore/obsession. I used to ask myself often when I was fishing 12 hours in 40 degree rain when the fun would return? Now I fish once every other month with family and only if it is nice and never for very long. Occasionally I miss it, but I certainly appreciate it more. Although, I haven't caught anything over 10 lbs in 7 years.

I recently got a detector and am planning on taking that hobby way too far.

Have a nice break and spend some of that cash and free time on the little person in your avatar.

Fathead

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hate to see you go Rich. Our new boxes are starting to show up again. But il hold down the fort while your on leave. I know what you mean though. Dumping is turning into such a pain in the ass. Keep in touch bud. Thanks again for the heads up on our bank, I'm still going to pound away with the pick axe for alittle longer.

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Everyone needs a break once in awhile.Hope your's is not for to long.Good Luck :icon_thumright:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hey Rich - enjoy the break! You've been hooked here for a while and if it feels like a job - time to step back. The board won't be the same without you. Drop in now and then and say hello.

Maine_Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
sorry to hear that rich. i'll miss your posts. my finds have been way down too this year, keep hoping it will pick up. hope you don't stay gone too long

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Rich, man you can't leave. I am coming back soon. I understand needing the break. I am enjoying mine but don't want to give up either. I hope to do a road trip next week with the pops. You have been staying consitant with the silver though. Maybe you should just go back to road trips and leave the heavy boxes alone for a while. Anyway like Chicago once sang "everybody needs a little time away." Good luck bud.

Golden Silver

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I was wondering how long a man of any age could keep up your pace. I don't do boxes, just customer rolls, but have stepped back a little to focus more on my hobby of wood turning.

I try to do a few hundred in dimes and twenty to forty bucks in dimes on week days. I get the halves when I can get them and hope for the best.

Having said that I'm sure you must have a decent supply of silver and a very nice Walker and Ben collection. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Enjoy your break.

OWS

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich , You'll be missed ! I completely get it - the need to relax a bit . May I recommend that
during your break from "volume hunting " that you enjoy a bit of over the counter asking , a
roll here , three rolls there . My recent experiences have proven beyond doubt , that there are
some solid results - without the bummer of massive dumping. You can even do this while you
are out and about running errands on the way near the odd bank anyway. Argentium.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rich, i can understand where you're coming from, i've been searching and posting here over 3 years myself. Sometimes you got to step away for awhile. But drop in a comment once in awhile so we know you're still around. We'll miss you. Here's to your last box being a dream box. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm still going to read and contribute to the forum here because that I enjoy. I'm not closing out my buy or dump banks either, because I may be back to searching boxes 6 months from now, or maybe take a road trip come spring.
Whenever I get into something, a job I like, volunteering, sport, hobby,etc. I tend to overdo it. I'm moving at 100 MPH. After a while though it becomes routine, boring, just not a challenge anymore. So I move on to something else.
I've neglected my jogging for the past couple of months which has netted me a gain of 145.83 troy ounces of fat that I did not have before. So the first thing on the agenda with my free time is to reorganize my schedule and start running everyday.
hh
Rich

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich, I always enjoy your posts and finds. A break is good but come back soon.

Darth Walker

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I know the feeling myself .. I'm starting to get worn out from it myself. Dumping and getting skunked are the worst parts. I want to take a break too but it is so addicting. Well, hate to see you go. I'm fairly new here but enjoy your posts about showing what someone can get from road trips or large orders.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Well this bums me out guy! as a newcomer your posts have been something to look forward to, are you going total cold turkey on this? or are you just giving up on the halves? maybe like someone side just grab some rolls here and there to keep your hand in things, and whatever you end up doing please keep posting! HH.

Chuck.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I dumped 4 boxes today. Like a brain surgeon i saw the only car in the parking lot was pulling out so i surmised i would carry in all 4 boxes at once to make the dump less of a pain by having to go back to the car. The young teller attempted to just scoot one box closer across the counter then i could swear i heard a muffled "holy poo" followed by a strange look after knowing i just carried 4 of those things at once. I mentioned for her not to think i was the hulk or anything because i was considering asking her to call 911 due to a ruptured spleen, 4 broken vertebrae, and shrunken marbles. That is how it felt anyway.

Anyway i can certainly see after having done this for quite sometime how it might wear ya out. Ive been doing it 3 weeks and have learned i wont ever pick up 4 boxes again. What does a box weight anyway? And now add that up x each step you take upstairs. Wow.

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Dang
Do I know what ya mean.
I have cut way back myself from 10 boxes a week to 2 boxes
every two weeks.
My back and shoulder have been killing me and at 50 with
a bad back lol this is work. lol.
I actually got one of those little folding dollies to carry my 5 boxes at
a time and that helps but still.
I think my buying scrap and unwanted gold in a lot less work,
and a lot more $$ :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:, and a lot less weight lol.
I hope you enjoy the break up here in western ny the picking have been
VERY VERY SLIM.
I have been lucky to get 2 40's out of my "10" boxes.
Take the break and enjoy and maybe a little metal detecting :)
See ya again
hh gl dan

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Rich,

I have a great solution to your problem of seeing Kennedy's and since I'm the first to suggest it I'd like you to take me up on this fine offer.

First off forget about how heavy boxes are as you are a beast. I can tell by your picture and the post long ago about your workouts. Secondly, continue to get your boxes. When you open the rolls, make sure you don't look at the ends as Kennedy will be sure to be there. Break out your Franklins, Walkers and the Barbers you have. Seated Liberties are fine too. Only edge search your halves. Then, Put all those 90's without Kennedy's face on the ends. Once you're done PM me and I'll send you my address. Since I'm such a nice guy I'll pay for shipping. This offer is only good for the rest of the day. BUT IF YOU CONTACT ME IN THE NEXT 6 hours I'll allow you to put in extra 90%'s at no additional cost. You'll save over 50% off the cover price... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

~phrostie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread