Duck--Hes back and has more pennies!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Oct 2005
    Salem, Missouri
    18 times

Duck--He's back and has more pennies!!!

I went to my bank today to drop off yesterdays pennies and nickels and get $60 in nickels from the bank. I walk in there with one box of pennies in each hand (dang those things are suprisingly heavy!). All the tellers know me, and in this bank, they joke around, but they really hate dealing with all the coins. The first teller to spot me walking toward the desks, looks down, and acts like she's picking something up. Another teller looks over at me and tells me that she can help me. Then the one teller pops up and says "Oh, I saw something on the floor and had to pick it up..." Anyway, yeah, so I got $60 in nickels today (yesterday technically).

Why do all nickels I find, like, before mid-60s never have a mint mark on them? I keep all nickels from 1959 and before, and none of them have a D, S, or a P. I just don't get it. My finds as follows:

Misc.:
    2 clad dimes

Old Nickels
    1959 -- 2
    1957 -- 2
    1940 -- 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-27-06 front.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	78193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-27-06 back.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	78194  
    By 2064, experts say man will have established twelve colonies on the sun, ideal for family vacations.

Jan 2006
    Nebraska, USA
    2 times

Re: Duck--He's back and has more pennies!!!

The mint mark is on the reverse to the right of Monticello, next to the rim:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_%28U.S._coin%29

Oct 2005
    Salem, Missouri
    18 times

Re: Duck--He's back and has more pennies!!!

Hey, thanks a ton for the info on the mint mark. I was really confused for awhile. About half of my nickels have a D on em. Unfortunately, not the 1939. Oh well.
    By 2064, experts say man will have established twelve colonies on the sun, ideal for family vacations.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links