Hi Guys!

MaxSmart

Feb 23, 2010
New guy here, and I after I heard about CRHing, I decided to give it a try. $300 worth of halves later, no dice. I've got a few hypothesis that I'd like to run by you experts. I'm really only into this for junk silver right now, I already have too many expensive hobbies.

1. Banks with free coin-counting machines will have very little silver in their vaults, because their coin-counting machines reject silver.
2. Banks which don't allow you to order a full box should pretty much become dump banks.
3. The ideal bank will allow you to order a full, unopened box, which should have the highest probability of silver.

I'm a NavyFed member, which is a great bank to deal with, but they won't order me a box. No problems dumping coins though. :-D I'd ideally like to find a bank close by where I can give them bills for a box of coins without being a member. If they won't let me, I guess I'll have to break down and keep $5 in that account. Around me, there are mostly NavyFeds, Wachovia, and a few Bank of Americas. Will Wachovia order boxes of halves for customers?

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
As to your point 1. All the banks' coin counting machines where I am do accept silver halves--at least the ones where I have been able to buy the full bag of halves. Maybe the machines rejected some, but out of all of them I have found both 90% and 40% halves. The machines at my banks are not the Coinstar brand like you see at the stores, which I have been told by some here do reject all silver coins.

You mention their vaults, but generally when the machines fill the banks have their coin couriers take the filled bags (unless a customer is able to buy the bags first). In other words, I am not aware of banks that store halves in their vault that were removed from the coin machines for longer than it takes for the coin courier to get them. I know of some banks that will send 50 bucks worth of halves when they come in. But some banks have to wait until they have 1000 dollars in loose or rolled halves before they can send them to the coin courier.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread