Good News and Bad News

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
The good news is I picked up 4 boxes today and $240 in hand rolled. The $240 only yielded 1 40%er. The boxes were a little better.
Box 1 = 40
Box 2 = 4
Box 3 = 5
Box 4 = 39

The breakdown:
1964 x 2
1965 x 6
1966 x 12
1967 x 24
1968 x 27
1969 x 18
Total = 89

Now, the bad news. I normally get the double stacked 5x5 boxes from the bank, but today they were the flat boxes. I failed to check the boxes at the bank before I left and I was short 6 rolls in one box...OUCH! I've been shorted before but I always catch it at the bank. I'm not sure I should say anything to the manager as I feel as soon as you walk out the door...you bought it, short or not. I knew better so it's my fault for not checking. I certainly don't want to make any waves at this branch as it has served me well over the years. I'm sure there will be varying opinions on this subject and it will be interesting to hear yours! What do you think?

HH Mark

MVC-012S.jpg

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been shorted three times. Once 5 rolls, anther time 4 rolls. I felt your pain! I did not catch both inside the bank. With the 5-roll missing, I found out when I got home. But for the 4-roll missing, I found it out in the parking pot, but she refused to acknoledge the loss and I losed the "buy bank".

Once you walk out of the bank, just forget about it. You may lose your "buy bank" if you go back to rise the issue.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you get 5 x 5 boxes you should open them to check that they're all there while you're at the bank. I get the flat box and I do get rolls that are short but not missing any. If I'm short too coins, it's fine since you can make up for it in the keepers you pull out.

OP
OP
SoCalMark

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
All the boxes were sealed but the one that was short was torn up on the end. It appears to have been dropped. I think I will call tomorrow and ask if they found any rolls that may have fallen out. It seems like a good way to break the ice without asking for my $60.00 back.

HH Mark

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I would probably say something "I know there's probably nothing you can do about it now since it's just my word and you have no way to verify what I say is accurate, but I realized after I left that one of my boxes was 6 rolls short. I normally check before I leave the bank. By chance did they fall out somewhere in the bank?"

You admit fault for not checking the box before leaving the bank and basically leave it in their hands without demanding compensation. I would say it is unlikely that you would lose them as a source, but yet still at least have a chance that you may recover the $60.

Technically the blame is not with the bank, but with the armored service that delivered the faulty box. Had you spotted it at the bank, I would think normally the bank would have just called the armored service and complained and gotten their money back and passed it along to you. Since you left, however, I think it depends on how much proof they need to provide the armored service to get the $60 back, or if they feel you are a good enough customer to just give you back the $60 and just write it off.

Good luck!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I agree with Gman. That's the way to approach it.

As for "a little better" Dang dude, 40 in a box is AWESOME. 39 in another is also awesome. Those two boxes worth of silver right there will take me literally over 100 boxes to collect.

I'd say that's a LOT better. :-)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yup... Gotta check those boxes right there before you leave once you leave their yours.

I always check now but have forgotten too on ocassion and was shorted 1 roll. The box was dropped and a roll may have squeezed out. it were the 5 x 5 x 2 type you speak of.

On the other occasions that I have verified the contents and discoverd a shortage, the tellers were none too happy, and the last time it happend the teller was gracious enough and did not know how to handle it. but the next week they went on to tell me what a hassel it was. In this particular incident a roll was visabally short from both ends. It was a tight roll and full length but it only contained 11 of 20 coins. Strange ??? . Both ends were hollow. Well in her haste she ripped it open and counted out the 11 coins but that might be where the hassel begins because now she was in my shoes, and had to fight for a refund from the carrier. Her word against theiers and the psycal proof was destroyed.

Mojo

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I would mention the box that had ripped tape and ask if they could look for any rolls that might have fallen out of the box in the vault. If they volunteer to do anything else besides look in the vault consider yourself lucky, if not, just chalk it up to the cost of all the silver you got at face. The four rolls of silver 40% coins sure make it easier to swallow. :icon_thumright: I might even go out and sell them just to get the $60 in cash back and still come out way ahead.

Maine_Jim

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver score. :icon_thumright: Shame about the missing rolls. I think GMan's advice is the route to take but if they react negatively I'd shrug it off, just don't give them the chance to do it again. :thumbsup:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
If it happened at the bank, you can bet they know because you have to explain $60 over almost as much as you have to explain $60 under. It is worth mentioning, but like you said not worth losing the bank over.

FH

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good find, but that does suck being shorted. I always double check the rolls before I leave, customer rolls or boxes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread