8 boxes of dimes

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the halfs have been tough around here lately so i picked up 2K in dimes yesterday to give them a try. i found boxes of dimes easier to obtain and carry than half boxes. i have done dimes before. they are not my favorite coins to do because they are hard for me to see. got some readers and sat down last night and went through them. i was wondering what the averages were with dimes these days. sure seems like alot of work for such little results. seems like someone would have to have alot of time on their hands to do the volume that it would require to make dimes worth it. anyway here are the results with pics

rosssies------11
mercury-------1

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 410
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 413
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California
That's a good score.

I did a box myself last night and came up with a 64. The thing I like about dimes is I get the boxes that are clear wrapped. I wound up opening only two rolls (I mistook a Mexican 10c for a heavily worn silver US) and the 64. The other 48 rolls go back in the box and off to the bank. A whole box takes a few minutes.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
SC,
Good score on the dimes. I haven't done them myself in the past couple of months.It's hard to say what an average is. I suppose with 8 boxes one could get 6- 50 keepers. One thing for sure you will never get a straight skunk run. You need good lighting,hobby magnifying glasses,and practice searching them. I can rim search them pretty quickly.
Dime boxes are easy to get. Tellers love to give up customer wrapped rolls, which can be good producers. You can also hit the jackpot by picking up a 2009 box. I don't know what they are going for now but I did very well with the box I got.
There are pros and cons to doing dimes but the bottom line is the silver found is 90% and it adds up.
I had planned on trying a month of dime searching only. Maybe picking up 120-150 boxes in a month just to see what I find. Never got around to it. Can't say why but for some reason I actually enjoy searching dimes
Best,
Rich

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only searched 25 boxes this year, my average is 1 per $125. 4 mers so far. SC, that's not a bad haul, average. ffd

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Did the math myself on Dimes & considering HAVE to have income there is no way can mess with them. Iti s a very rare post to see someone who actually has a good enough find to make it worth while- but the halves that is another story alltogether and a much, MUCH better one too.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
That sounds like a decent haul to me but I have only done about $750 worth so far so I may not be the best to judge, and to the poster that mentioned the clear wrappers being nice, you must not get many Canadian coins at your location, lucky you! although I am reasonably sure that the rims are different enough to spot I don't want to chance it! and actually the first silver dime I found was Canadian, a 1943 that I found in a $250 batch of customer rolls from a vending machine company, then 1 Rosie in a Brinks box, and another 2 in the next Brinks box, so to me that looks like above average and nice work! HH.

Chuck.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have ran across some dimes from Canada here in Alabama ??? ??? i get some from the British territories too.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great dime score. I've been hunting dimes too, just customer rolls. I've been finding 1 silver for around every $100 I search. The only thing I don't like about finding silver dimes is they don't weigh much, still fun too find though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread