Petition- Please Read

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
I've been a TNet memmber since last August, and this is the only board I post on. There have been an excessive amount of new members as CRHers. Also lurkers (Yes, I know I'm a lurker since I don't post any more). I was going to stay away from this site for a while, but I have to post about this. Sign this petition to make this board private, to where you must be a member to view the coin roll hunting board.

Thanks to all who sign,
JJ

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JJtheRollHunter

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
AU24K said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
alpha105 said:
Well, I guess that makese it clear. Too bad that we can't make the board private. I just wish that people would keep their mouth shut about CRHing. There is just such overwhlming amount of them these days.

ill bet that if someone didnt tell you about it.....u wouldnt be posting this rubbish
sorry i just dont feel like paying for a CRH forum when i hardly get 1 silver per week when i can afford to go through a box.

Actually, I thought of this hobby myself when I was bored. I said to myself " I bet I can walk into a bank, buy some rolled coins, and find some old ones." Don't believe me? Look for my post a couple of months ago called "How Did You Get Started?"

And this makes you think that it is all your idea and you want to try to stifle other people who may have also come up with the idea independently or by hearing of someone else who is a CRHer?
I think it is great that so many people who share the same passion can have a forum to discuss same.
My opinion, for what it's worth...

Best Wishes,
Scott

Scott, it is great that we have a forum like this, but with great finds come great competition. When people search coin roll hunting on google, this is the first thing that comes up. Once they se coolcashes fantastic guide, and read some hot posts on the board, there is a brand new coin roll hunter to suck up the silver.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend,
I'm pretty sure all of the low hanging fruit has been grabbed.
That being said, when the economy is down, people will turn in stuff that they may have been holding for years. I think of it as a gold panner would; "I got most of the gold out of this stream this year, but next year there will be new gold washed into the stream."

Best Wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
JJtheRollHunter

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
AU24K said:
Friend,
I'm pretty sure all of the low hanging fruit has been grabbed.
That being said, when the economy is down, people will turn in stuff that they may have been holding for years. I think of it as a gold panner would; "I got most of the gold out of this stream this year, but next year there will be new gold washed into the stream."

Best Wishes,
Scott

Your right. But.... I would argue with the wall if I had the chance. Remember, with the economy down, collections and hoards are being cashed in. So, there is still a couple of pieces of low hanging fruit out there. :)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious - what is it you find annoying about the number of CRHers? I know I heard "I wish they would keep quiet", which means, they aren't lurkers, if they are posting.

So, what is the issue? Are you having a problem keeping up with the posts? Or, are there certain people, in that forum that are being stupid, or what?

Maybe there is another way to address your issues.

Beth

OP
OP
JJtheRollHunter

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
mrs.oroblanco said:
I'm curious - what is it you find annoying about the number of CRHers? I know I heard "I wish they would keep quiet", which means, they aren't lurkers, if they are posting.

So, what is the issue? Are you having a problem keeping up with the posts? Or, are there certain people, in that forum that are being stupid, or what?

Maybe there is another way to address your issues.

Beth

Beth, my issue is that the fact that when you search coin roll hunting on google, the first thing that comes up is the coin roll hunting board on TNet. Read coolcash's great guide, read a hot thread or two, and you have a new CRHer. I know to many on here it seems selfish, but once you can barely find half dollars alone, you'll probably want the same.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which - reminds me - remember that --- the fact that most of our posts here on Tnet, end up in the public domain of Google, ask.com, etc.

Something to remember. (though, I cannot find any way to stop it and gathering more interest in the hobby).

B

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Blacksheep said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
I've been a TNet memmber since last August, and this is the only board I post on. There have been an excessive amount of new members as CRHers. Also lurkers (Yes, I know I'm a lurker since I don't post any more). I was going to stay away from this site for a while, but I have to post about this. Sign this petition to make this board private, to where you must be a member to view the coin roll hunting board.

Thanks to all who sign,
JJ

JJ,

Everybody here on TNET is a member. You do have options, purchase a charter membership and start your own forum of sorts is one way. Another is to invest your hard earned time, money and knowledge in your very own website and invite like minded people to join you in your quest for treasure, just like Marc generously did here with Treasurenet.

What makes CRH better than dumpster diving or swinging a detector to the point it warrants a "members only" forum?
Untrue, there are people that find this site, thyen they chek out the site b4 they join and in doing that, they find this hobby and they start doing it, they are not members.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Thanks to Scott of Michigan - I wised up. I used to post on this forum until I "evolved" I've been a member for a couple of years...and have deleted numerous posts of piles of 40's and 90's I regretably posted in the past.

Everyone that still feels the need to post the usual 40% and 90% finds should read the old attached post from Scott and ask themselves why they must continue to post the mundane to inflame the newbies. If it's an ego thing...go for it...but remember, you are shortening the party with each post.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,168002.msg1223772.html#msg1223772

Stages of CRH-ing
Posted Jul 11, 2008, 04:06:40 AM
Hi All,

Mojo’s post asking about a few posters from the past finally inspired me to post these thoughts I have had for a while.

Which stage are you in? I am in #4 I think because I am not finding enough to be in #3.

1st Discovery
Got done reading my regular T-Net forum and browsed around and found this one. There’s still silver and other old coins to be found in circulation?

2nd Me Too
Wow I can order boxes of coins and find silver and other oldies. Now it’s my turn.

3rd Hey Everyone, Check it out.
Look what I am finding!!! I am just like you, look at this loot.

4th Oh No, I’ve created a monster
Uh Oh, others in my area found out about this hobby by reading this forum and are cutting in on some of my action. It’s time to quiet down about my finds.

5th Time to get rid of the competition.
Hmm, maybe if I post about how bad all of my boxes are it will discourage the competition. I need to be more negative.

6th Lurking, Lurking
Time to stop posting all together and become a Lurker. The less said the better.

Your thoughts?

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

Edit: I think stages sounds better then my original Ages of..

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of the new residents in town that move into the latest subdivision. With the moving truck just out of their driveway they are on the phone with town officials wanting to block the next development as it will change the character of the town.

Want more silver for yourself? The answer is to buy more boxes and bags before someone else does not dictating how someone else lives their life.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We very rarely post our finds - of any kind.

But - if you are not a member - you cannot post. So, that's is not an issue. Yes, a lurker, but not a member - you are a "guest" and you cannot post.

Hey, I never thought of doing CRH as a hobby (I've always collected the old coins I've come across) and even though I read most all of the posts about CRH (because, let's face it - its interesting), I feel absolutely no inclination to go and spend my money buying coins and then having to dump them somewhere. Too much hassle - for me, anyway. (though my father did it a few times - and even then, I cannot find the enjoyment in having to dish out 500 bucks a pop. But, that's just me. If I found the same thing in the ground with my MD, I'd be elated. I love the silver, I just like getting it in a different way.

Point I'm trying to make is - I think there are people who are ALREADY interested in CRHing who come to lurk. If they aren't already doing it, and they try it and like it - they, I would assume, would like to show it off, or get opinions on where and how to dump the other stuff, so, they have to post to do that, which means, they have to become members.

JDSARASIN8194, you've only been here 7 months? Did you lurk before you joined? Why did you decide to be a member? Have you gotten any good information from anyone? Do you think that people who have been CRH and posting here on Tnet for 4-5 years think you should go away?
(I don't think they want you to go away).

I think that this economy has started some people CRHing - the harder the economy is, the more likely people are to turn in their collections to pay the mortgage or whatever. I think that's the biggest reason that the interest has picked up, and, like most people - the biggest bang for the buck is always a good thing. The best way to learn the best way to do anything, is always to listen to folks who have been doing it for awhile.

Add to that the comraderie of meeting folks who have the same interests as you do.

B

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was CRHing long before I found this board. I knew there were others out there who also CRHed, but for years my occasional searches of the internet turned up nothing. Then one day I found this forum and found a group of other people who enjoyed doing the same hobby I did and loved reading about the finds other people were having and sharing my finds with them. I have since also found other forums which share similar information, but I like the layout of this forum better. And although at times there seems to be occasional periods where the tone has become unnecessarily negative (especially toward certain members), the moderators seem to do a pretty good job at reminding people when they start getting out of line and so it has never gotten way out of hand.

I started posting on this board back in December of 2006 and although I do believe there has been a slight increase in the number of people who search through half dollars, I really haven't noticed a significant difference in my finds from when I first started posting and now. I also think that most people who try their hand at searching half dollars do so thinking they will be able to make some extra cash easily. They try for a little while and then realize before too long that the amount of work required for every dollar of profit really is not a good use of their time. Of course there are those that will have great success when they first start out as well due to location or just plain luck and will stick to it longer, but in the end it takes a special person to become a true CRHer and stick it out for the long haul doing any sort of volume. I also believe the ones that stick with it are typically more likely to be a coin collector than a precious metal hoarder (but that's just an opinion).

I know the number of posts I personally have made has dropped off. I wanted to keep the tracking list post going, but with as busy as I am and the volume of posts I find that I just am unable to keep up. When I first started the tracking list, a page of postings would be about 2 months worth and now a page of postings is about 2 weeks worth. Although I still try to read most of them, I just have too many other things to keep up with right now to keep that going. I still do post the results of all my searches, and I plan to try to continue doing so on a weekly basis. But even as I speak, I have 5 or 6 bags of coins to search through to finish off last weeks searches...

I am not real sure where I was headed with this post, but I see no reason to privatize it as it is only one of a number of sources sharing the same information. The best way to show what the real results are though is to post all your results and not just the good boxes. I can understand not wanting to post each skunk box as it happens, but I see nothing wrong with adding the results of all your less desirable boxes since your last good box post into the next post and thus reducing the number of skunk posts and yet still showing that overall there can be a lot of work to find what you do.

I look forward to continuing to share my knowledge and reading about other's finds as it is a fun hobby so long as it is treated as a hobby.

Good luck and Happy hunting. :)

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
CRH is like burning wood for fuel. It becomes popular when the chips are down, but only the hard core group continues to do it when the chips are up. Just hang in there you pessimists.

OWS

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try to remember - ALL of us Treasure Hunters - whether it is CRHers, or md-ers, or prospectors, or miners, or garage sale junkies, or shipwreck divers - all of us - we have to stick together - we need everyone.

There are lots of people out there who do not want our hobbies to exist.

B

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
mrs.oroblanco said:
We very rarely post our finds - of any kind.

But - if you are not a member - you cannot post. So, that's is not an issue. Yes, a lurker, but not a member - you are a "guest" and you cannot post.

Hey, I never thought of doing CRH as a hobby (I've always collected the old coins I've come across) and even though I read most all of the posts about CRH (because, let's face it - its interesting), I feel absolutely no inclination to go and spend my money buying coins and then having to dump them somewhere. Too much hassle - for me, anyway. (though my father did it a few times - and even then, I cannot find the enjoyment in having to dish out 500 bucks a pop. But, that's just me. If I found the same thing in the ground with my MD, I'd be elated. I love the silver, I just like getting it in a different way.

Point I'm trying to make is - I think there are people who are ALREADY interested in CRHing who come to lurk. If they aren't already doing it, and they try it and like it - they, I would assume, would like to show it off, or get opinions on where and how to dump the other stuff, so, they have to post to do that, which means, they have to become members.

JDSARASIN8194, you've only been here 7 months? Did you lurk before you joined? Why did you decide to be a member? Have you gotten any good information from anyone? Do you think that people who have been CRH and posting here on Tnet for 4-5 years think you should go away?
(I don't think they want you to go away).

I think that this economy has started some people CRHing - the harder the economy is, the more likely people are to turn in their collections to pay the mortgage or whatever. I think that's the biggest reason that the interest has picked up, and, like most people - the biggest bang for the buck is always a good thing. The best way to learn the best way to do anything, is always to listen to folks who have been doing it for awhile.

Add to that the comraderie of meeting folks who have the same interests as you do.

B
No, i didn't. I CRHed b4 i was a member, i searched "coin roll hunting forum" on google and this site poped up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread