Which should I choose?

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
They will continue to mint throughout the year so you won't know the final numbers until the end of the year. Really, it is a personal preference.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter, they are all bullion. Buy what you can at the cheapest price. When you melt it down, no one cares which year is it.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American Silver Eagles are bullion but they are also $1 coins. Any silver eagle a few dollars over spot is a good buy... :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not buy any Silver Eagles because they carry a very big premium when you buy them
unless you want to hold it for 1,000 years you will loose money on the sale.

But this is just me.

DW

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
I would not buy any Silver Eagles because they carry a very big premium when you buy them

But this is just me.

DW

Ditto. I just buy the generic bullion with the cheapest premium. When it is all said and done, each one has the exact same thing, one ounce of silver. It is just like buying clothes at WalMart and Macy's. For an example: An identical pair of jeans, compare the prices. $19.95 at Wal Mart, $24.95 at Macy's. You get the ones at WalMart and you still have the exact same thing, except you still have extra money in your pocket.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:

But this is just me.

i would have to disagree....he said they were $19.25 ea. this is lower than any price i have seen so far for the SE's. look at the prices they are asking for here
http://www.silver-eagle-coins.com/prices.html

I think I would be buying at this price. Cheapest I have found around here is $20 each. Still didnt pull the trigger on them. I like ASE's, usually will pick one up each year and one for the kids birth dates.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
lol if your only buying 1 or 2 who cares about the price. you may as well get a proof , a hologragm or a painted one so you can enjoy how they look.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said that is a very good price. If it were me I'd go with the 2010 because I think the mintage will end up being lower. With the 2009 you know that the mintage is high so why not take a chance and go with the 2010 instead? It could go either way but at least with the 2010 you have a chance of a lower mintage. Also, neither year has produced any proof coins so these coins will likely be worth more down the road as they are the only representative samples of silver eagles from these years.

I don't buy a lot of silver eagles either because of the premium you pay for them. But it's kind of like buying silver dollars. There is a premium to be paid but the coins usually maintain the premium when you go to sell them. With silver eagles (and especially at the price you are getting) the premium is currently very small so it is negligible on small numbers of coins. Now if I was going to be spending $1000 or so I'd do as the others have said and go with silver rounds or bars. That's going to be the best price you can get on raw silver. But if you are buying just a few coins then go with what you like. Silver eagles are undoubtedly much more attractive than silver rounds.

I've been buying up some silver recently and my breakdown is currently the following: 30% junk silver, 30% silver rounds, 30% bars, and 10% silver eagles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread