I found a pregnant Kennedy!!!!

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I found a pregnant Kennedy Half today. I was at the bank (no, not getting rolls)_ and noticed the teller had about $10-$15 in halves in her tray, so I bought them. When she was handing them to me, she took one back and said that no one wants that one because it's "Funky", I said that I would take it. At first I thought it was bulging out on one side from a sharp strike from the other side, but when I turned it over, it was bulging out on that side too! There is also a small bulge just in front of Kennedy's mouth. Sorry the pictures are so bad, all I have at the moment is my camera phone, which is probably the poorest image quality a person can get.

Paul

Attachments

• IM000088 (Large).JPG
    IM000088 (Large).JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IM000085 (Large).JPG
    IM000085 (Large).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, die breaks that large don't occur in the center of the coin, and can't happen on both sides of the same area.

More than likely this is deliberate damage from someone using a heat source to cause bubbling. I can't tell from the photo but look for telltale signs like soot in between the letters or discoloration on the surface.

Definitely a curio.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Cool find, WTG!!!
Just call it lumpy... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

P.S>If you hold a magnafying glass in front of your camera lens, sometimes you can get a better close up...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

If it has been added to the coin it would cover the area it is on. If it was some kind of air bubble the area would be peeling up with bubble so to speak. Try backing your phone up a little and take another picture. It won't bubble like that unless the whole coin is melted at supper high temperatures. An air bubble accruing after the strike is almost not possible because the planchet is cold. The strike would flatten it or smash it into the coin. So reason tells us this was added to the coin by someone.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I will see if I can find a scanner to use. It isn't an air bubble, you can definitely make out the shape of what ever it is inside. My guess would be a chunk of the metal that it is made of. I really don't think it has been heated at all, there is no warpage at all, no burns. I have done more welding & metal work that I care to remember, so I am familiar with characteristics of heated metal. The bubble is not in the center, it is off to the lower right behind Kennedy's head, behind the ear.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread