What are your experiences trying to CRH at Antiques Shops?

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an antique town in TX called Gruene and went to one to the antiques stores.

I was trying to look for some silver bargains. Of course they had silver coins but men, no bargains at all just over prices silver coins (half's, Morgans, dimes-mercs). I guess this guys know what they are doing.

Example they had a 2004 S Kenn Silver Proof halve impaired for $18.95. Why buying it for that price when I can get a PCGS PF 69 for about $15.95 from a dealer.

I was thinking that maybe an antique store was like a garage sale but not. All was overpriced.

I was temped to buy stuff but I remembered I am a CRhunter and why paying more than face for the same crap.

What are your experiences with antique coins. Any bargains???

I would like to hear from you all

thanks

Darth Walker

Upvote 0

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love going to auctions. If you have never been to a auction, you have to know that most auctions have roughly a 10 percent buyers fee and you have to pay sales tax, something to think about when bidding about your final cost in the end. Auctioneers speak fast also you need to listen to them and try to figure out their pattern so you don't get confused.

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
I picked up 3 rolls of nickels from a antique store...the guy had his case at 50% off. Each was marked.
1938 Jefferson (40)xf-ms
1939 Jefferson (40)xf-ms
1938-39-40 Jefferson (40) xf-ms

Paid 35 plus tax for the 3 rolls

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a rule antique shop folks --generally know what they got -- sort of hard to "hustle" a hustler in his own shop.-- sort of like going to the pool room to play the pool room owner for "money" thinking your going to "hustle" him -- generally speaking not a good ideal. :D

but now and then you can find a deal that slips by em , or if their hard up you can cut a deal.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins4Cheese said:
Up in the Tokyo area, someone was selling pennies for 10 yen (about 10 cents) each. There were no wheaties, or key-dates for that matter.
Lately here in SoCA I have been finding 100 yen coins and buying them for 25¢ can't understan why I have seen so many lately. 100 yen = $1 +/- my wife is happy cause it will give her loose change. She will be visiting Japan in a week or so.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
DFX DAVE in M.D. said:
I love going to auctions. If you have never been to a auction, you have to know that most auctions have roughly a 10 percent buyers fee and you have to pay sales tax, something to think about when bidding about your final cost in the end. Auctioneers speak fast also you need to listen to them and try to figure out their pattern so you don't get confused.
Funny you should mention that, Dave. At a spring auction a year ago, I got caught up in the bidding frenzy and bought 200 average mercs @ 2.50 ea. I was totally embarrased and I could hear all the "gasps" in the crowd. Funny though, I saw Ike dollars selling at 2.50-3 bucks ea. ffd

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfull I have saw a lot of items just being plain overbidded. I always try to see at the start of the auction if things are bidding too high. It gives me a feel of things. I like going to auctions in crappy weather, there is a lot less people there. I have driven in freezing rain real slow to get to a auction, lol. A teenager we know went to a auto auction, there was a pickup truck he wanted, when the auctioneer started he said do I hear $1500 dollars he raised his hand real fast before the auctioneer got down to the bottom start. Everyone turned their heads and said whats he doing. It sold for $1500, it was only worth about $500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread