So what would you do?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
A visitor to this site might think that CRH is an easy way to get something for practically nothing. Until they try it for themselves, they won't realize how much work goes into the hunt. That only the truly dedicated diehards, those that never give up, are the only ones who amass a good amount of silver.
Some CRHers cash that silver in as soon as they can realize a profit ,and some, probably most,will hold on to it until silver reaches 50 bucks an oz. or more.
A few cuckoos are saving it for survival money, just in case the Earth does a back flip in 2012, and the North Pole becomes Antarctica. :help:
Now for the unthinkable. I almost hesitate to pose this scenario,because the mere mention of this may cause some folks to spaz out, and start filp -flopping on the ground,like a fish out of the water.

"Confiscation"
One day you wake up and the headlines read " The pResident has ordered the confiscation of ALL gold and silver"In exchange the government will compensate everyone with shares in Alaska's Pineapple and Coconut plantations.
Everything you worked so hard for is gone like a puff of smoke.
So the question is, What would you do? Would you give it up?

Rich Hartford

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
A visitor to this site might think that CRH is an easy way to get something for practically nothing. Until they try it for themselves, they won't realize how much work goes into the hunt. That only the truly dedicated diehards, those that never give up, are the only ones who amass a good amount of silver.
Some CRHers cash that silver in as soon as they can realize a profit ,and some, probably most,will hold on to it until silver reaches 50 bucks an oz. or more.
A few cuckoos are saving it for survival money, just in case the Earth does a back flip in 2012, and the North Pole becomes Antarctica. :help:
Now for the unthinkable. I almost hesitate to pose this scenario,because the mere mention of this may cause some folks to spaz out, and start filp -flopping on the ground,like a fish out of the water.

"Confiscation"
One day you wake up and the headlines read " The pResident has ordered the confiscation of ALL gold and silver"In exchange the government will compensate everyone with shares in Alaska's Pineapple and Coconut plantations.

Rich Hartford
I'm one of them kukoos guess though do not figure in a 2012 scenario, just a gov gone madd.
Our Silver take has been way down over last year but we just tend to save it it is the only risk free way to save apart from the "Alaska Pinapple and Coconut Plantation" possibility. And only Fish I like is Mrs. Paul's anyway, Steak is more up my alley especially when we raise the Jersey Beefster ourselves.

It has become quite a challenge to both get Half's and even more so to find places to dump them, have run into more than a few now who want me to go away, or tell me they are goon a start charging me- said ok to last one he ordered my boxes when they came did not charge me but told me that was thee last time he'd order for me too. Eventually will have to go so far to get Boxes and get rid of them it could potentially be cost ineffective way to save- or maybe boxes will pick up.

As said B4 my best Box of year was my last one of year beating my next best which was my first box of year in March 09, but since then it has been very poor with but one modest exception where found 86 Silvers, but another odity very very few Skunks but lots with one or two in them too.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
obediah said:
Rich Hartford said:

"Confiscation"

Rich Hartford
I'm one of them kukoos guess though do not figure in a 2012 scenario, just a gov gone madd.
Our Silver take has been way down over last year but we just tend to save it it is the only risk free way to save apart from the "Alaska Pinapple and Coconut Plantation" possibility. And only Fish I like is Mrs. Paul's anyway, Steak is more up my alley especially when we raise the Jersey Beefster ourselves.

It has become quite a challenge to both get Half's and even more so to find places to dump them, have run into more than a few now who want me to go away, or tell me they are goon a start charging me- said ok to last one he ordered my boxes when they came did not charge me but told me that was thee last time he'd order for me too. Eventually will have to go so far to get Boxes and get rid of them it could potentially be cost ineffective way to save- or maybe boxes will pick up.

As said B4 my best Box of year was my last one of year beating my next best which was my first box of year in March 09, but since then it has been very poor with but one modest exception where found 86 Silvers, but another odity very very few Skunks but lots with one or two in them too.

Obe,
I was just trying to be funny with the 2012 remark. I certainly don't think you are one of those nuts.
I did have you in mind though when I wrote how hard it is to find silver, and appreciate the effort you put into the hunt.
It sure is getting tougher to get those boxes and dump, but I'm sure you will find a way to overcome that hurdle.
No need to answer the question as to wheather or not you will give it up. I already have a good idea.
Hope you find the big one
Best
Rich

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
I'm hoarding all of the silver I get. I really don't care if the government takes confiscates everyones gold and silver. How are they going to get mine or anyone else's? I'm sure 99.9% of the nation owns at least one pieace of silver in any way, shape, or form.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't turn it in. And I don't think that the government will ask us to turn them in again. That would be an exercise in futility. I think people learned their lesson last time and won't give up their gold and silver. The last time was unprecedented and people didn't know any better. Now we do. Remember the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!". Only a fool would turn in his silver and gold if the government asked for it. :wink:

I also think that the last time in 1933 is blown way out of proportion. I seriously doubt that a lot of people really participated. Some obviously did. What percentage I really don't know. But there is no shortage of pre-1933 gold coins. Keep in mind that these coins did NOT qualify as having "special recognized value to collectors". They were just plain gold coins back then much like a 2010 gold eagle is just a gold coin today. So tons of these coins survived in private collections meaning that people didn't bother to turn them in.

I'd love to know the real stats but I'm sure that it is impossible to know for sure.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rich,
Hold onto the silver. It will go up and down periodically.
However, China is using tons of it and needs more, so I
think silver will go up into the $20 range and stay there.
Only a thought.
rileyboy

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Government confiscation of gold and silver, eh?
Hope they don't find out about the fillings in my teeth...

Scott

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mts said:
I wouldn't turn it in. And I don't think that the government will ask us to turn them in again. That would be an exercise in futility. I think people learned their lesson last time and won't give up their gold and silver. The last time was unprecedented and people didn't know any better. Now we do. Remember the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!". Only a fool would turn in his silver and gold if the government asked for it. :wink:

I also think that the last time in 1933 is blown way out of proportion. I seriously doubt that a lot of people really participated. Some obviously did. What percentage I really don't know. But there is no shortage of pre-1933 gold coins. Keep in mind that these coins did NOT qualify as having "special recognized value to collectors". They were just plain gold coins back then much like a 2010 gold eagle is just a gold coin today. So tons of these coins survived in private collections meaning that people didn't bother to turn them in.

I'd love to know the real stats but I'm sure that it is impossible to know for sure.
I wasn't implying an unenforceable 1933 type confiscation which was limited in nature, but a total confiscation ,because of National security reasons, or just a plain old "Yes We Can" type of a reason.
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rileyboy said:
Rich,
Hold onto the silver. It will go up and down periodically.
However, China is using tons of it and needs more, so I
think silver will go up into the $20 range and stay there.
Only a thought.
rileyboy

I actually got rid of all of mine, and invested in American made tools. Which I believe will become a rare commodity in the future.
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AU24K said:
Government confiscation of gold and silver, eh?
Hope they don't find out about the fillings in my teeth...

Scott

I wouldn't worry too much about the confiscation of your amalgam mercury alloy fillings. In a few years you will forget you have them.Might even forget you have teeth at all. :laughing7:

Rich

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I actually got rid of all of mine, and invested in American made tools. Which I believe will become a rare commodity in the future.
Rich

Now thats funny...but also unfortunately sadly true. In this unlikely scenario (although NOTHING would greatly surprise me anymore), I would probably turn in "just a very small portion" just to hopefully avoid being on some type of "watch list." Not that I have much of a hoard to begin with anyway.

On a totally unrelated note, Rich I greatly miss your posts of your finds. I'm pretty new here, but I honestly had no idea that Walkers could still be found occasionally until I found this site and read some of your posts. I just found my first and have you to thank for it.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
ArkieBassMan said:
Rich Hartford said:
Rich

Now thats funny...but also unfortunately sadly true. In this unlikely scenario (although NOTHING would greatly surprise me anymore), I would probably turn in "just a very small portion" just to hopefully avoid being on some type of "watch list." Not that I have much of a hoard to begin with anyway.

On a totally unrelated note, Rich I greatly miss your posts of your finds. I'm pretty new here, but I honestly had no idea that Walkers could still be found occasionally until I found this site and read some of your posts. I just found my first and have you to thank for it.

"The Watch List"
My eldest son, who is an active CRHer, and a truly patriotic American, both in words and deeds,often times blogs on things of a political nature, using his own name. He never blogs in anyway that would be criminal in a free society. However I did mention to him one time that his blogs could have him placed on a watch list.
Watch list ? "I'm the watcher,he told me"! He went on to say,"You are the watcher,my friends,neighbors,relatives, and all True Americans are the watchers". "We watch and question everything"!
I had to think about what he said for a bit, and came to the conclusion that he was absolutely right.

I'm glad to hear that my meager finds motivated you to recover some silver, and a Walker,the first of many I hope.
For now I take great satisfaction in the finds of others, and the recovery of silver at face value, that was coined at the cost of of American's tax dollars. It's the only "bailout" you will ever get.
I may get back into CRH in the future. We shall see.
HH
Rich

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
They would be better off revoking my right to bear arms first. I wouldn't laugh at people hoarding against doomsday. We just experienced and are trying to overcome round two in this country. How did the gov't help us? By borrowing more money (from the Chinese of all people). Borrowing to get out of a borrowing crisis. Perfect sense. Start with silver and gold. It should be mostly silver coins as you don't want to try and buy gas with a gold bar (although you might need to). Next put away some other trade items. Perhaps cases of whiskey. Then make sure you have enough guns and ammo to protect yourselves when the bank dependant people run out of Rice Crispies. I am not an alarmist and I do not hate the gov't or hope it fails, but the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over while expecting different results.

Have a happy day.

Fathead

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Confiscation by the govt. of anything I own will be at a very high cost in blood - theirs and hopefully not mine.
We have the right to bear arms to protect us from exactly this type of threat.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
fathead said:
They would be better off revoking my right to bear arms first. I wouldn't laugh at people hoarding against doomsday. We just experienced and are trying to overcome round two in this country. How did the gov't help us? By borrowing more money (from the Chinese of all people). Borrowing to get out of a borrowing crisis. Perfect sense. Start with silver and gold. It should be mostly silver coins as you don't want to try and buy gas with a gold bar (although you might need to). Next put away some other trade items. Perhaps cases of whiskey. Then make sure you have enough guns and ammo to protect yourselves when the bank dependant people run out of Rice Crispies. I am not an alarmist and I do not hate the gov't or hope it fails, but the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over while expecting different results.

Have a happy day.

Fathead

I'm not laughing at doomsday hoarders unless they are of the 2012 or attack from Mars types. I've read some of those survival type sites and for the same money it would cost me to buy all those supplies I could move to Switzerland and weather out any storm.
Rich

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
A confiscation wouldn't work in today's society. We are too mobile and global. If a confiscation were to be put into effect, you would have an exodus of precious metals to other countries for either sale or storage. Our country would lose out, exactly the opposite of the intended purpose.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Rich they would have to kill me first. They would have to pry the silver from my cold dead hands.

golden silver

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
TXTim said:
Confiscation by the govt. of anything I own will be at a very high cost in blood - theirs and hopefully not mine.

True we have the right to bear arms, but one man Alamos never work.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
TXTim said:

True we have the right to bear arms, but one man Alamos never work.

I may not have much, and i do sell when i need (which is unfortunatly often). But whats mine is mine......make that a 2 man alamo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions