apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally, I pick up a box of cents per week and look only for wheats. Several posts, however, have aroused my curiosity. I noticed a few folks keep "S" mintmarked cents. My quandry is this: If I have a coin, for example, that is a 1975S, do I keep it? I know the boxes I obtain rarely produce a MS-65, let alone a PF-65. The Red Book indicates the value of a 1975S cent in PF-65 condition is worth $3.50, but, again, I may have that coin, but certainly not in that pristine condition.
Thoughs or Comments?

APUSH :read2:

PS: I picked up 2 boxes of halves last week: 1 skunk :'(; other not bad: My first Walker (1936 & a bit rough); 4 Ben's; 3 1964 & 12 40%. I was tickled pink to say the least. Today I pick up 2 boxes (generally I only go for 1, but it is spring break!)

Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
The S mint marks are a personal preference....yes it seems to be the only ones worth a significant amount above face are the ones in pristine condition. Congrats on your first walker, and all those bens! Awesome score, and I hope you find some more over your spring break.

KEverett

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hold what you can afford. With cents that does not cost too much. Think of it this way, in 20 years from now, you are not going to come close to finding anything in circulation with those date ranges that are in good shape. The other side of this is if you hoard copper you will keep these anyway. I keep any nice AU/BU coins out of my copper hoard and any S mintmarks that I can find. The rest gets sealed in coin lock bags (to be dumped into coin machines by my kids years after I am gone). :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread