Made to feel like a criminal today...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of my Chase branches today to cash in some dimes and the teller was a b***h again to me. This is the only teller that has a problem with me, well at least the only one that makes it known to me. She started out by saying that she isn't required to cash out this amount of coin, she is only required to deposit it. So I said to deposit it into my account and she said she would cash it just this once.

Then she went on questioning where I got it and why I always deposit so much in change there... blah, blah, blah.... and then she said that she was required to report any activity like this.

Also, the last time I went into this branch office she said that she would no longer take nickels from me.

She went on and on today about how small their vault is and how they can't have this much coin on them. (I deposited $230 in dimes, it fits into a tiny box).

She has always seemed to have an attitude problem with me ever since the first day she saw me come in, even though all of the other tellers at that branch are friendly. And then the other Chase banks in town all seem to enjoy having me come in, tell them about my finds, etc.

Anybody ever treated like this? Anyone know any rules about what we do?

I just chuckled a bunch on my way out and feel like dropping off about $100 in nickels there in the morning just to have some fun with them.

Brian

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't let her get to you. Business establishments, I'm sure, need coinage and do the same thing, to some degree. I think you have five options...

1 - Go to another bank
2 - Report her to management
3 - Use Coinstar
4 - Just keep doing what your doing
5 - Be so nice to her it makes her puke

HH!
TBGO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what I would have said.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think she might be one of the managers there, I'm not reall sure. I go to several banks to spread out my coins so that they all aren't lumped into the same bank. I visit that bank maybe once or twice a week, sometimes skipping a week in between.

As for being nice, I always try to be pleasant and make the ladies smile :) The happier a woman is the more likely she is to help you out. The girls at some other banks just chat me up everytime I come in. Other banks roll their eyes.

As for coinstar, I don't want to pay money to drop off my money, especially since it is already rolled to begin with.

I just want to get rid of the snow, get the temps in the 40s, lose some of the ground saturation, and get out beeping... my beep isn't going on right now,haha.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
next time tell her you don't appreciate her attitude and that you want to speak to a manager. if she is a manager, tell her you want the contact information of her Superior.the tellers at the bank are not supposed to be rude to the customers, even if they don't like your transactions.i would guess that you probably are not the only person (customer or employee) that has had problems with her.don't take any crap from anyone, some people will treat you as crappy as you allow them.........don't allow them!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
next time tell her you don't appreciate her attitude and that you want to speak to a manager. if she is a manager, tell her you want the contact information of her Superior.the tellers at the bank are not supposed to be rude to the customers, even if they don't like your transactions.i would guess that you probably are not the only person (customer or employee) that has had problems with her.don't take any crap from anyone, some people will treat you as crappy as you allow them.........don't allow them!

Thanks for that. Now I just need to get some balls to say that, haha. I am too nice of a guy, even though I am pretty damn intimidating in appearance (6'4", both eyebrows pierced, muscular). I scare some people, haha.

I think she might be going through early menopause or something like that, haha.

And it's not as if I only do coin roll hunting through their branches, I also do regular transactions, cash checks, deposit money orders, use the debit card often.

Oh well... I'm tempted to go back tomorrow with my nickels.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time, when you're leaving, put on your best Shwartzenegger face and voice and tell her "I'll be back". :D

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
Next time, when you're leaving, put on your best Shwartzenegger face and voice and tell her "I'll be back". :D

HH!
TBGO

Haha, hmmm.... that's not a bad idea..... or I could flex my biceps... and ask "which way to the vault" and then point somewhere and say "is it over there?"

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hey Brian,
For one, she can not deny your money no matter what form it comes in, that falls under federal discrimination laws. The only time they can turn it down is if it is more than $250 in UNROLLED change(I had to take a class on this for work). Second, as a customer, currency exchange is a service that they required to provide to you (read the fine print on the forms you signed when you opened the account). I would get her name, branch number, and call the 1-800 customer service number EVERYTIME she is even the slightest bit rude.
Now this is just me, but if I was in your position, I would make it a point to bring in $1000 in rolled pennies every day until her attitude got a little better. And if that doesn't work, then do it 3 times a day.

Paul

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul in WA said:
Hey Brian,
For one, she can not deny your money no matter what form it comes in, that falls under federal discrimination laws. The only time they can turn it down is if it is more than $250 in UNROLLED change(I had to take a class on this for work). Second, as a customer, currency exchange is a service that they required to provide to you (read the fine print on the forms you signed when you opened the account). I would get her name, branch number, and call the 1-800 customer service number EVERYTIME she is even the slightest bit rude.
Now this is just me, but if I was in your position, I would make it a point to bring in $1000 in rolled pennies every day until her attitude got a little better. And if that doesn't work, then do it 3 times a day.

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul! My friend's roommate who is a bank teller in the summers when not at school said that a bank has to take my money as well, no matter what the form it takes.

Does anyone have any links to bank laws or anything? I wouldn't mind having something printed out the next time I go in there just to spite her ;)

Brian

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
I would speak to the branch manager first. Explain that you've been banking there for so long and that she is the only teller that seems to have a problem with you.

Let them know that you prefer to continue banking there but the teller makes you feel unwelcome. Explain that if the branch manager can't solve the problem that you'll have to change banks and let a regional manager, or even corporate, know that you're pulling your account and why.

If you work it that way I guarantee that the teller will get an attitude adjustment or will standing in the unemployment line.

Even nice guys can complain without sounding like their complaining. Trust me, it works. ;D

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeMoto said:
I would speak to the branch manager first. Explain that you've been banking there for so long and that she is the only teller that seems to have a problem with you.

Let them know that you prefer to continue banking there but the teller makes you feel unwelcome. Explain that if the branch manager can't solve the problem that you'll have to change banks and let a regional manager, or even corporate, know that you're pulling your account and why.

If you work it that way I guarantee that the teller will get an attitude adjustment or will standing in the unemployment line.

Even nice guys can complain without sounding like their complaining. Trust me, it works. ;D

I would try that, but I think that closing the account would be saying that they've won. Plus, the main branch in town is where I get a few hundred in coins each day and they are always pleasant and kind with me.

Z

ZumbroKid

Just surrender and get her flowers, where else well you find one that treats you like that with out getting hitched. ;)

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Bscofield,

It may seem like I'm beating a dead house by saying her attitude needs an adjustment (stepping out of the bank for five minutes might do the trick :), but the reasoning behind her multiple attitude sessions is ignorant for a few reasons. I used to be the head teller at Commerce Bank, here in Pennsylvania and before I got into detecting, I would have people come in like yourself wanting cashout/cashin change looking for the good stuff and I was always happy to help. Problem was that I also was searching for the silver coins too! Anyway, her argument about the small coin vault is crap. The particular bank I worked at had an insane amount of change orders to process per day as we were the only bank in a ten mile vecinty of a large mall, so all the businesses came to us for change orders. Our coin vault was small too and certainly did not contain enough to do all the change orders, so we had to go to main vault to get the big orders, which literally took like ten seconds.

Oh boo hoo that she has to write up a "buy" order that takes a few seconds to get money from the safe. If anything, I, as the head teller would be the pissed one as I had to get the money from the back and bring it to the tellers on the floor.

And as a side note, Commerce banks have whats called a "Penny Arcade" which is the same thing as Coinstar, only we don't charge 10% or whatever of what you deposit. You dont even need an account to do this either. We need to get them to expand to Indiana.

Showering her with kindness never hurt either. Just get her some roses and under them have a change order for 1,000 dollars in pennies....then smile and say "Have a Nice Day" :)

HH!

-Hunter

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.... So I've got 67 rolls of nickels ($134) and 4 rolls of dimes ($20).... What to do? What to do?

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
bscofield6 said:
Also, the last time I went into this branch office she said that she would no longer take nickels from me.

Then, I would, by all means, bring her some more nickels!( But, that's just me.)
I'd also bring her a few hundred one dollar bills; in a mess ! Each bill needing to be straightened out before going into her drawer.
When she says she can't take the nicks, I'd tell her to get the head teller. If ,by chance, SHE is the head teller, I'd tell her get the manager. Or maybe start with the asst and a CSR.
Then I'd make the manager aware of all the hassles from ONLY this teller. (Notice the names of employees at their main FRiendly bank), and say like 'Mary Smith and her teller line at John Smith's branch on main st. are always so friendly and proffess...whatever!
But,,,then...........i'm PMS and out of chocolate:(

But make sure you are depositing and are within any limits.

If you really wanna make her day?......before you leave,,,,ask her if you could have a couple of checking WITHDRAWAL slips ;)

Ya know how there's always ONE assssss in a place?,,,anyplace??,,,Everyplace???........... Sounds like you found it ;D lol
HH

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, great idea on the messy $100 bills! Now I just need to get some of those as well.

I still can't believe that a bank would only have a vault the size of a small tv. It just makes NO sense at all. She just went on and on about how they couldn't handle this much in coin. What a joke this lady is.

argh....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions