Flawed $1 bill

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Here's one for you.? About 8 yrs. ago I worked at a Bowling Alley at Fort McClellan AL.
As we were closing up for the night the cashier walked over to me and said, "Ken you
ever see a Dollar like this?" and handed it to me.? The bill was missing its serial # and seal.
I turned it over and there was the serial # and seal on the back!!!? She said she had got it out of the register. I offered $10 dollars for it and she said no.
Then I offered her $100 dollars and she still said no that she would just keep it.
I saw her about 4 years ago and asked if she still had that dollar she said yes and that she planned on keeping it for a long time.
She did ask me to find out how much its worth though.
So has anyone else seen one like that or know a value? Im thinking of giving her call to see if she still has it or not.

Diamond Spike

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked thru my 1998 paper money guide and here's what I found.

What your friend has is quite collectible. The part of the bill that was missing on the front and accidentally printed on the reverse is called the "overprint." Value depends on what position the seal and numbers are in on the back. If they look in the correct position then add $50 to the bill's face value. If it reads up or at an angle add $75. If the overprint is inverted add $200. This is assuming the bill is in average circulated condition. If it doesn't have an folds or wrinkles the above prices double. If it's crisp uncirculated then triple the values.

Sounds like her instinct to hang onto it was the right idea, but so was yours to purchase it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread