Automated coin seperation?

F

FredMaxwell

What is out there?
I was thinking that when hunting down silver coins I could submerge them in water with some type of salt or what ever makes them tarnish and then just take out the black ones
But would that oxidize the good or rare ones?

Should not be rocket science to sort them by weight quickly but I think I'd need to do 80,000 coins per day to make any decent return and, I aint sure where to acquire 80k fresh every day

PS: I know you can see silver fairly easily but I mean for searching them in mass Quantity

Upvote 0

daveycleaning

Sep 22, 2005
well the idea sure does sound "fresh" but if you want a idea i would buy a clear PVC pipe with the same (or maybe a little bigger) diamiter as a half and cap it at one end and have a funnal on the other side. The pipe could be as long as you wanted, then you could see from the side and get out the silver ones, perhaps by a device on the end with the cap so you so can control the amount of clad you want to drop to get to the silver. But that is just my wild and crazy idea. I would stay away from chem. methods i think it would ruin some valuble finds, because even if you could reverse the process it would still count as cleaning the coin and the would just kick you in the butt when you have a few walkers or barbers maybe (one can dream). Anyways i am just rambling now, remember just keep it simple and fun. 8)

cody

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also purchase a coin counter machine that rolls everything into clear plastic rolls and then just scan through the the sides of the rolls. I go through $250 in dimes in under 5 min, and I go pretty slowly at it.

But getting 80,000 coins a day would be a long shot I think.

OP
OP
F

FredMaxwell

I see, that makes sense folks.. I put a normal quarter and a silver one in saltwater and the normal ones turned black
I expected the silver one to turn

The regular ones have a silver coating - right?
But the silver ought to be 90% throughout?

Those are good ideas for sorting, if I had some money I could make an electric seperator but it would not be too great for the coins..
I think the best place to get the coins would be on contract from vending companies in larger cities - does that make sense?

If one didn't have the cash the best way would be to use a credit card with 25 day grace so that you would not have any expense for loans and all
80k Quarters would only be 20 grand
80k Halves would be 40 grand

The problem I guess would be trying to get at least a tenth of a percent to be silver coins ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
There is no silver in dimes or quarters after 1964. Pre 1964 are 90%silver. Halves are 90% up to 1964 and 40% from 1965-1970. After that, no silver. Dollar coins are 90% up to 1935, after that no silver. This is for regular circulation strikes only. Proofs have been made for each that have silver as well, but they are rarely found in circulation.

Also wartime nickels had silver in them 1942-1945 are 35%silver.

Pick up a copy of the Red Book at your local coin shop, it'll have the weights and specs for each coin as well as a retail ballpark price.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Jeffro is correct. There is no silver in post-'64 business strike dimes and quarters have no silver whatsoever. The silver color is actually nickel (part of the copper-nickel material).

Some uncirculated silver Ike dollars were struck for collectors in addition to proofs. Certainly some of these coins found their way into circulation.

Jeffro's advice is good - buy a Red Book. It is full of great info.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YO FRED...GET THE RED BOOK..dont mean to yell but it is a KILLER Read..tons of info...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread