ding-ding-ding-ding.........JACKPOT!!!!!!!

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Only had $60 on me today, and ended up at a bank way out in the boonies while at one of the properties today, so I bought 6 rolls of halves. 3 of these had writing on the side, though to myself "most of these rolls have writing on them".......but wait.....these say "Liberty" on them..........could it be?............opened the first roll.........A WHOLE ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!!.............opened the second..........ANOTHER ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!.............opened number three................ANOTHER ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!!!!...................the next three rolls produced 5 40% Kennedy's.........but I'm not complaining!!!!! Unfortunatly I can't get back there until Saturday, which I will do because the teller said that she has racks of these "hand rolled" halves taking up shelf space.

Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
You can bet I'll be at the door when they unlock it saturday morning. I will buy every roll of halves I can, and probably dimes & quarters just in case ............rolls of Mecury dimes & Standing Liberty Quarters would be sweet!!!

Paul

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Take a cash advance on your credit card if you have too! Get EVERYTHING you can...The finds by everyone lately have been increadable! I only came up with 2 40% halves and 3 silver Rosies today...Still have $500 in dimes to search....I'm sure they are all Mercs though ;)....HH

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm assuming that you are offering those walking liberty half rolls at face value like you did the unc 1997 rolls? ;) ;)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astounding!!

Now don't leave us in suspense...what were the dates??? And don't forget to look for mintmarks (on the back along the rim at about 8 o'clock or on the front below IN GOD WE TRUST for 1916 & 1917).

Half searching has been unreal so far this year!

Meanwhile I trudge along with my nickels. Today's $35:

1940D (keeper!)
1952D
1954D
1958D

1986 Canadian

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sorry Brian, the offer expired when I shipped your rolls out.......nice try though!

OK, here are the dates

1 1934
2 1935s
2 1936
1 1937
1 1940s
1 1941
10 1942
1 1942d
1 1942s
4 1943
3 1943s
7 1944
2 1944d
2 1944s
1 1945
1 1945d

No key dates. I am no coin grader, but from what I have read they are FINE to VERY FINE.

Paul

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
DUH!!! forgot the 3rd roll.

3 1940
2 1941
1 1941d
11942s
3 1944

I think I might keep them in the wrappers I got them in, just to show people that anything is possible. Not local friends of course, I don't need any competition. I will show friends that live where you guys are.

Paul

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think maybe it's time to go to bed. Here is the rest

1 1928s
2 1929d
1 1943
1 1943s
4 1944d
1 1945

Guess thats what I get for trying to type, look at coins, and do some laundry while my kids are running around like nuts!

Paul

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congratulations Paul, OUTSTANDING! ;D I was just about to post that you are short 10 halves when I looked at the dates and quantities, glad you posted the rest. So did you have any chest pains when you found 3 rolls of Walking Liberties? I would have flippin' passed out! lol Would love to see photos of them if you get a chance to take any. I put each of my Walkers in the cardboard flips,or you could buy 3 of the plastic tubes for halves to store them in,might be better than the paper wrappers. But keep the wrappers to show to you friends.

Seriously buy ALL of the rolled coins they have! lol I know I would take a chance and do it.

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ya, I about crapped my pants. I kept flipping one around in my hand all the way home (2 hour drive!). I will be at their door when they unlock it Saturday morning, or possibly friday if I can move my schedule around ( I am working real hard at changing it so I can go back). My banks nearest branch from there is 51 miles, So I plan on getting there at 9am, buying up $500-$1000 worth (depending on how much $$ I have freed up by Saturday), then hauling azz to my bank to exchange the rolls for cash, then back to buy more. I should be able to do this 3-4 times . If the weather permits, I may fire up the Ninja (I've already had it out a few times) for a speed run.

Paul

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Oh Paul, I know you have a busy schedule but if you are sure that they have a lot of rolled halves they could be gone by Friday or Saturday. If there is any way for you to be late for work, I'd go there this morning(Thursday). I wouldn't normally suggest that someone call in for work late,but this in NOT normal circumstances. lol You just don't find that many rolls of Walking Liberty halves that easily,get back there FAST. lol I wish you good luck and hope you find some more silver rolls. ;D

Btw, are you going to buy the Ikes that you mentioned on another thread? I would buy them later, once you buy all of the halves up. ;)

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
The town that the walkers came from is in an extremely poor area. To give you an idea of just how poor, people steal the copper pipes out of buildings to cash in the copper. There was even a person who stole the aluminium siding off of his neighbors house to sell to the scrap yard.
All tellers at all the banks tell me that no one ever wants halves, and that they hate to take them in, even if it's only a few loose ones because they end up stuck with them. The "Walking Liberty" bank is very small, it only has two tellers. Both of the women are single, and very "Friendly" with me. If I can't get there before Saturday, I am 99% sure that if I called and said that I needed all the halves they have that they would hold them for me.
The "Ike Dollar" bank is in the town where I will be tomorrow, it is about 50-60 miles from the "Walking Liberty" bank. Now if there happens to be any set backs at work tomorrow, and I end up sitting around for an hour and a half, or more (this is somewhat common) then I will make a speed run over and buy all I can. I will keep everyone posted on this. I have no idea how many more rolls of halves that they have in the vault, but the teller said that there is plenty more if I need more.........so we will see. I am getting all wound up just thinking of the possibilities!!

Paul

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Careful on that Ninja, Paul, and watch out for the cops! We want you "Walking" so you can tell us what happens ;)

HH!
TBGO

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul in Wa said:
Only had $60 on me today, and ended up at a bank way out in the boonies while at one of the properties today, so I bought 6 rolls of halves. 3 of these had writing on the side, though to myself "most of these rolls have writing on them".......but wait.....these say "Liberty" on them..........could it be?............opened the first roll.........A WHOLE ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!!.............opened the second..........ANOTHER ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!.............opened number three................ANOTHER ROLL OF WALKING LIBERTIES!!!!!!!...................the next three rolls produced 5 40% Kennedy's.........but I'm not complaining!!!!! Unfortunatly I can't get back there until Saturday, which I will do because the teller said that she has racks of these "hand rolled" halves taking up shelf space.

Paul

Well, Paul, you've left us in suspense. What ever happened when you returned to the "Walking Liberty" bank ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread