More half dollar rolls...nothing...nothing...and BAM!

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Today I had to get back out an try some more half dollar roll hunting. After checking several local banks and finding that I was about 2 days too late (someone else beat to them)...I bought 43 loose halves. I didn't expect much from these but I did get a nice surprise...a bicentennial Kennedy Proof! I then went to some banks in another area. The first one had $200 worth of halves...they were all in Brinks wrappers...nothing in them. A stop at another bank for $50 worth...nothing. Then I stopped at a small bank and they told me that they had five rolls that had been in the vault for a few months. When I got to the car with these they were marked 1972 and I thought that this would be another shutout...in the first roll there were 6 1972's and the rest were 1965 to 1969. Thinking that this was pretty good I opened the next roll...all were 1965 to 1969. It turns out that out of 100 halves...96 were 40% silver dated from 1965 to 1969.
A pretty good day...I haven't gotten any older halves yet...but I thought that this was a pretty good time!
This is the breakdown from today.
1 Bicentennial Kennedy Proof
14 1965
9 1966
27 1967
25 1968
19 1969

I wish I had known about doing this a long time ago. I have been dealing in baseball cards for 20 years and I am having much more fun with this. Time to sell off the cards and keep metal detecting and roll hunting!

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Oh yeah, that's a VERY nice day! Congratulations to you. ;D I was searching pennies and nickles when I first started and I do enjoy that,but searching halves is even better and exciting. I always strike out on dimes and quarters,have never found any silver when roll searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread