Quarters

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Looking at Silver Stripes quarter box got me thinking. Never tried a quarter box myself, but I did pick up 44 throughout last year, loose, rolled and bagged, without putting much effort into it.
I have the feeling that besides what the "experts" say quarter boxes may be a good source of keepers. Maybe as good as dime boxes.
I'm going to experiment with ordering several boxes of quarters , as soon as my half boxes go sour.
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i doubt they would ever be as good as dime boxes unless there was someones collection dumped in there. with all the state quarters, territories, et al....the ratio of keepers to dumps would be very low in my opinion.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As good as the halves seem to be in your area, why wouldn't the quarters be good as well? I would be amazed if your finds aren't well above average.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Quarters= skunk, skunk, skunk, 1, skunk skunk, skunk.......

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Yea don't get too excited- I bought 5 boxes today trying to find a twin to the other and only got a '64 for my trouble. Halves have been harsh last few days as well, todays 4 boxes gave up (1) '65. HH Mark

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
Whenever I get quarters they're mostly state commems. My first ever box of halves game me 5-40% and 1-90% ben. I'm hoping that it wasn't luck and there just aren't any half hunters in my area. I'll find out next Wednesday.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Last year I averaged just under 1/2 silver quarter per box. I believe I searched 66 boxes total. This includes a couple of Canadian quarters. Most I found in one box was three and I had run of 10 skunks in a row. I averaged over 6 silver dimes per box last year. 0 skunks. I recently got a box that was at least 1/3 Bicentennial.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5710 said:
Last year I averaged just under 1/2 silver quarter per box. I believe I searched 66 boxes total. This includes a couple of Canadian quarters. Most I found in one box was three and I had run of 10 skunks in a row. I averaged over 6 silver dimes per box last year. 0 skunks. I recently got a box that was at least 1/3 Bicentennial.

Wow! 6 dimes/box average is fantastic! I've done a few dimes myself. 8 boxes produced 2 silver Rosies total. I'd definitely be searching all the dimes I could if I could average 6 per box.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Electronova said:
Whenever I get quarters they're mostly state commems. My first ever box of halves game me 5-40% and 1-90% ben. I'm hoping that it wasn't luck and there just aren't any half hunters in my area. I'll find out next Wednesday.

They are state quarters, but not state commems. Commems are normally something that is put out well above face value, and in half dollar and dollar denominations. they are just state quarters. :-)

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
jrf30 said:
Electronova said:

They are state quarters, but not state commems. Commems are normally something that is put out well above face value, and in half dollar and dollar denominations. they are just state quarters. :-)

thanks, it's always nice to learn more accurate terminology

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Had a buddy at work yesterday hand me a '61 and a '62 that he happened to have in pocket change. He thinks he got them from two different stores in the area. Maybe I better get me a box!

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
Looking at Silver Stripes quarter box got me thinking. Never tried a quarter box myself, but I did pick up 44 throughout last year, loose, rolled and bagged, without putting much effort into it.
I have the feeling that besides what the "experts" say quarter boxes may be a good source of keepers. Maybe as good as dime boxes.
I'm going to experiment with ordering several boxes of quarters , as soon as my half boxes go sour.
HH
Rich
I've contemplated the same thing...Halves here run hot and cold, but dimes have been pretty good. I think I'll try a run of quarters too just to satisfy my own curiosity! As is allways the case with this hobby... "the price is certainly right" as there is no cost to try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread