OK I got my 1st $500 box of Halves today!! (UPDATE)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: OK I got my 1st $500 box of Halves today!!

Ouch on the short box, congrats on the silver. If your box has inspection holes, check for all the rolls before leaving bank, or open it to check. Just chalk it up to experience. ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

TheProf said:
I went through them and found 3 40% and one "S".

I was also short one $10.00 roll in the box!!!!!!!!

What do I do about that?

Not much you can do, since the bank won't fix the problem once you leave the bank with the box.

Who is the courier your bank uses? I have never had a short box in my 2 years of CRHing. I have had some machine rolls that were short, but also had some that had a few extra in it or other denominations.

Probably smart to follow FFD's advice and open the box in the bank and verify the count in front of the teller.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

I've had that happen to me once out of a few hundred boxes. There is really nothing you can do about it.
If you complain they will certainly cut you off of boxes. Count it as a hobby expense :laughing7:
HH
Rich

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

I open them at the window and do a quick count before leaving. They got me once, that's enough.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Happened to me once too. One roll was 5 coins short. I let it ride. I found more than enough Silver to pay for the mistake in that box anyway!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Never been shorted a full roll - got a guitar pick the other day. Been shorted a few coins now and then. I never open the boxes. I guess if you get shorted on the next box start opening them at the counter else I would just chalk it up to the cost of business. The faster I can get in and out of a bank the better!

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
TheProf

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok Thanks guess I will take one for the team. The bank down the street has a free coin counter so I am heading there tomorrow with my co-worker who has an account thereto dump a $100.00 mixed with coins I have dug up, will likely have to buy him lunch too. I am thinking about picking up the other box tomorrow, but I already have a house full of halves!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

Better get em before some scalper comes along and snypes em. HH Mark

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

fistfulladirt said:
Ouch on the short box, congrats on the silver. If your box has inspection holes, check for all the rolls before leaving bank, or open it to check. Just chalk it up to experience. ffd
Yeup, suck it up is right once you leave Bank- open Box you is SOL!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys all say don't do anything. I disagree...slightly. If it happened to me, I'd go back to the bank and say something like the following:

"I know you probably can't do anything about it now because all you have is my word, but I wanted to let you know that the box of halves I purchased from you recently was 1 roll short. I don't blame the bank as I realize the issue is likely with the service that boxes the coins for you. In hindsight, I probably should have checked the contents before I left the bank, but I have never had anything like this happen before and just assumed everything would be fine."

Basically, you are giving the bank notice that you had a problem and that you accept the fact that there may be nothing can be done. But it still gives them the option to choose to reimburse you and take up the issue with the armored service or not. Warning: This isn't something you can do repeatedly without repurcussions, but I don't see a problem with doing it once. If you plan to reorder frequently, it also gives them the reason why you are so keen on verifying the boxes before walking out with them.

I am not saying to do what I said, but if you do decide to, you have to do it with the right tone or it won't work.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

You guys all say don't do anything. I disagree...slightly. If it happened to me, I'd go back to the bank and say something like the following:

"I know you probably can't do anything about it now because all you have is my word, but I wanted to let you know that the box of halves I purchased from you recently was 1 roll short. I don't blame the bank as I realize the issue is likely with the service that boxes the coins for you. In hindsight, I probably should have checked the contents before I left the bank, but I have never had anything like this happen before and just assumed everything would be fine."
Gman,
You are probably right, but that would me a mouthful in Hartford. The tellers would probably do an SAR on me for sounding polite and educated :laughing7:
HH
Rich

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rich Hartford said:

Gman,
You are probably right, but that would me a mouthful in Hartford. The tellers would probably do an SAR on me for sounding polite and educated :laughing7:
HH
Rich

It has to be in your own words. I was only trying to get my point across.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Well, with the short roll there is not much you can do after leaving the bank. You can prevent it in the future by counting the rolls in front of the teller. The good news is with the silver you about broke even and did not really lose much money.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
TheProf

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the bank today and got the other box. While I was there I talked to the Bank Manager and explained how I was short one ten dollar roll. She said no problem and that they would credit my account 10 bucks! Got my box, checked it on her desk, it was all there, she told have a nice day and I did the same and told her I would be back next week to order up some more. She said no problem and off I went!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
TheProf said:
Went to the bank today and got the other box. While I was there I talked to the Bank Manager and explained how I was short one ten dollar roll. She said no problem and that they would credit my account 10 bucks! Got my box, checked it on her desk, it was all there, she told have a nice day and I did the same and told her I would be back next week to order up some more. She said no problem and off I went!
Oh-oh, now you're on their sheet list.....just kiddin' glad they credited you. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions