Forget statistics.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So last month I tried over 2k$ of dimes in both boxes and customer hand rolls and recieved a single 1964 roosy for all the effort. Today I go by a local fast food place and pay 6.90 for my order and receive back a single 1946 roosy. So i decided to just throw away my stat sheet as it clearly means nothing. Btw yes I did ask if it came out of a roll and if they had anymore but both answers were no, which made the find even more unlikely stat wise.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe stats have their place over an extended period of time. Sometimes it just plain luck. Right place at the right time. Now why cant that happen to me when I am holding a lotto ticket...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's too bad, lotta dimes, little return....wonder if it depends on the area? My average still remains at 1/$140 searched (88 keepers), halves 1/$167 searched. Wonder if more people are searching dimes since everyone is after halves....today, $60 in hand rolled halves gave me zilch, tellers told me up front they had already checked 'em....$300 in hand rolled dimes gave 3 keepers. ffd

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
fistfulladirt said:
That's too bad, lotta dimes, little return....wonder if it depends on the area? My average still remains at 1/$140 searched (88 keepers), halves 1/$167 searched. Wonder if more people are searching dimes since everyone is after halves....today, $60 in hand rolled halves gave me zilch, tellers told me up front they had already checked 'em....$300 in hand rolled dimes gave 3 keepers. ffd

If I had listened to tellers this year telling me they had already been looked through I would be minus about 150 silvers this year. Unless its the vault teller saying they have all been searched I never listen. You never know when another teller puts 3 or 4 rolls from another customer on top of 700$ worth of dumps the first teller knows about.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
JD-GA said:
fistfulladirt said:

If I had listened to tellers this year telling me they had already been looked through I would be minus about 150 silvers this year. Unless its the vault teller saying they have all been searched I never listen. You never know when another teller puts 3 or 4 rolls from another customer on top of 700$ worth of dumps the first teller knows about.

Jd,
I've watched tellers break down rolls of dimes and quarters plenty of times. They don't have the time or interest to check these coins.Especially dimes which can easily be missed.
One keeper out of 8 boxes is a bit unusual. If you got them all at the same bank,I'd go elsewhere.
I haven't done any dime boxes this year but when I do I never order them,just pick them up randomly from different banks. Like Half dollar boxes, some banks have better boxes then others.
I usually get 1-4 keepers per box. Sometimes I'll get a skunk box,and sometimes I'll get more than 4.
Some people don't bother with dimes as the amount of silver recovered is small. I would never do dimes exclusively but over the course of last year I got nearly 30oz in dimes. Those little coins add up over a years time.
Keep getting them between halves.
HH
Rich

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Stats gotta mean something. I bet areas that have more older people [not housing complexes or trailer parks] have more halves. I also bet banks that have been around longer have customers that have been around longer and have more of a chance of having old coins. On the older note i noticed tellers who are older tend to have learned about silver more often then the young ones.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
quiksilver said:
Stats gotta mean something. I bet areas that have more older people [not housing complexes or trailer parks] have more halves. I also bet banks that have been around longer have customers that have been around longer and have more of a chance of having old coins. On the older note i noticed tellers who are older tend to have learned about silver more often then the young ones.

I agree with you Silver....the majority of the tellers that tell me "Oh, I already took all of the silver ones out of those rolls" are 9 times out of 10 older women. Just my experiences anyway

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
JD-GA said:
fistfulladirt said:

Thats all cool and such, but I'm lucky to find $50 in dumped halves. There just aren't any loose ones to find in quantity around here. Costs too much to drive to pick up $5 here and $30 there, just too much competition. Boxes here are lousy. At least dimes are consistant.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Young tellers just don't care whether a coin has an extra value or not. It would be too much work for them to try and sell it. These people were kids less than 10 years ago. How many kids now care about pennies or dimes? They just want dollarbills, and preferably the ones with a zero or two on them.

I think 3 dimes per 5000 would be close to average.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I once did 12 boxes on a Sunday for nothing- I quit for awhile after that one. If I average 1/box I'm doin good. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions