How do you dump your searched coins?

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
You only get charged a percentage if you aren't a member of the bank that has the coinstar machine. I use a coinstar, but I am a member so I don't have to pay any fees (for right now anyway)

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Do you mean to say that your bank has a Coinstar machine or simply a coin counting machine. Coinstar does charge a percentage (usually around 5-6%) and the business it is located in receives an additional 3-4%. It would surprise me if a bank had a Coinstar unit in their facility gobbling up some profit.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Tabfry said:
Do you mean to say that your bank has a Coinstar machine or simply a coin counting machine. Coinstar does charge a percentage (usually around 5-6%) and the business it is located in receives an additional 3-4%. It would surprise me if a bank had a Coinstar unit in their facility gobbling up some profit.

Yes, I am telling you that my Credit Union has a Coinstar...as in registered trademark Coinstar Machine in the branch. They do charge 8.9% to non-members to use the machine, but members can use the machine with no charge.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul in Wa said:
Just curious as to how everyone dumps their searched coins. I have a commercial account, so I seal mine up in a plastic coin deposit bag and just deposit them. I know some drop theirs in the coinstar machines, which sucks because you take the 8.9% hit.
That is probably the easiest method. That's how I do it, except I don't have to deposit, just take cash.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Coinstars near me charge a fee unless you get a gift card to Kroger, I tunes Cabellas etc. Then it's free. I use a free one at the bank...at least for now. Dumped $993 in it today and filled up the bag 30 min after they opened.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Cabellas?? I need to check my Coinstar Machine again! If I could get a Cabella's card, that would be sweet. I could trade one metal (cupro-nickel) for another (lead and brass)!!

Off to the Coinstar...

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
We don't have a Cabellas within 200 miles but the Coinstar at Kroger said that was an option yesterday. I tried it with a penny and got a store credit printed out for one cent. I may make 100 transactions and pay a dollar in 1 cent coupons when I get mad at the cashier again.

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
i don't know if these are in your area, but TD Bank, which used to be CommerceBank, had coin counting machines called Penny Arcades in each branch, they don't charge a fee to use, and you don't have to have an account there to cash in the slip - or at least you didn't last time I dumped in January.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I dump

1. At a federal credit union machine that takes a large nuber of halves b4 filling up.
2. TD bank machines so i can get the rejects.
3. Any bank that i find to be anothers dump bank.
4. Any bank that a teller collects silver.

note that i join about a bank a month and i dump the bent ones in rolls at 3 and 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread