super market change finds

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
hello every one I work for stop n shop super market chain. we have a coin star machine that does not seem to like steel pennies. there is a magnet inside that picks up paper clips and things like that as well as 1943 steel pennies. so far i have gotten 7 of them in the past few weeks. trying to figure out who is changing them in is tough tho. they don't pay me to hang out at the coin star. I also got from a register the other day a 64 kennedy half. kind of keeps the juices flowing while waiting for spring
good luck and hh

Upvote 0

JandM

May 8, 2005
Good finds ..........and you didn't have to go through 100 rolls of pennys to find it ::)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check out the CoinStar when I go grocery shopping. The only thing I've found was a 2000 Canadian dime. Still, it was a year I didn't have yet.

Can you imagine the goodies the CoinStar guys gloss over because they're not collectors? Arrgh!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a 48-s Roosevelt dime yesterday from Taco Viva change. I don't know why the people who work in places like McDonalds don't look for these coins. They show up in these places often.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I got a 48-s Roosevelt dime yesterday from Taco Viva change. I don't know why the people who work in places like McDonalds don't look for these coins. They show up in these places often.

Most of the people working at these locations are dumber than a box of rocks, thus the reasong for working there in the first place. Yesterday at McDonalds I got a fake PLASTIC penny back in my change.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LOL That's funny about the plastic coin. One day in Mcd's a person attempted to pay with a Silver Certificate ahead of me but the cashier would not accept it. I tried to explain to her about our paper money system, but only got a blank expression. I told her I would buy it if she didn't want it, and I did.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
LOL That's funny about the plastic coin. One day in Mcd's a person attempted to pay with a Silver Certificate ahead of me but the cashier would not accept it. I tried to explain to her about our paper money system, but only got a blank expression. I told her I would buy it if she didn't want it, and I did.

Yeah, most people have no idea how the monetary system works. I was at the bank earlier this month and I guy told me about him talking to another guy that had 5 silver certificates in his and he offered him $6 for the 5 of them and the guy was laughing at him for paying $6 for $5,haha. But, it's those dumb people that allow us to make such great finds :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Talking about dumb, I have a story for you. I once spent a 1700's Spanish Silver reale in a payphone and it worked! :'( This was before cellphones, and I made my phone call.
I should win some kind of dumb award. :-[ >:( :(
Strange things do happen.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Cy, I hope it was a very important call! That's OK-I know of a gentleman that spent a $10 gold piece (we're talking late 1800's) for a pack of smokes and some chips then demanded change for the $10. Said he was getting back with his no account family and wasn't leaving them a dime of his money when he died. The cashier was very obliging and made a mad dash to the local coin shop after replacing it w/paper money. I dear say they made a nice profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread