small budget, low time plan

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
I don't get around to CRHing too much anymore, and when I do, I try to keep a budget of about $50. Here's the question. What should i be searching for the best keepers, and most keepers. I always check if the banks have halves, but it's rare that they ever do. Other than that, I've been searching pennies and nickels (as you can see in my stats) And have found some good coins from that. The only problem is, I've heard that searching for silver usually takes more than $50 to find something worth keeping. Just askin for advice!! Thanks

Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Keep asking for halves, those will give you the most bang for your buck, especially when they are coming in off the street. $50 will buy you alot of cents, so you should find several wheaties each search. But maybe only 1 in 10 will be somewhat rare. 25 rolls of nickels won't produce every week, nor will 10 rolls of dimes. 5 rolls of quarters will provide you with alot of skunks and may cause you to become discouraged.

If I were you I would go halves, cents, dimes, nickels and quarters. Top to bottom. Always take the halves first and quarters last. The other three you might rotate around a bit depending on your time. You can search 500 dimes a whole lot faster than 5000 cents. The trick is to add to that $50, even $5 every week or two, and to try to turn that money over as fast as possible.

Hope this helps, others may not agree, just my thoughts.

Take care and keep us posted. Dave

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I'd search pennies and check for all the die varieties. I found a 1998 wide am, 1999 wide am, some wheats, and some s mints today. All for $25 box. My return is around $200 I'd think. I found a nice penny with a cud valued at $100 or so a month ago.

Stick with the cents.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I could turn $50 in dimes about 6 or 7 times in a day....Thats $300-$350 worth... Don't see the $50 as a problem.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
I'd search pennies and check for all the die varieties. I found a 1998 wide am, 1999 wide am, some wheats, and some s mints today. All for $25 box. My return is around $200 I'd think. I found a nice penny with a cud valued at $100 or so a month ago.

Stick with the cents.
Jason,
Photo of the 99 wide AM please. :icon_thumright:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
With a budget like that you will need patience but you can have some luck. If you want silver your best bet is war nickels and second your dimes. With dimes you may have better luck just asking for hand rolled dimes. Granted it will take time finding silver dimes searching 10 rolls at a time. Always ask for half dollars anyway and even large dollars for that matter. Good luck.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well as far as I'm concerned your budget is the problem... What if you happen across a load of halves and they happen to have $380 worth. are you gonna be able to deal with the potential of loosing out on a super score as someone here reported late last year. I believe around $360 in Halves that were all 90%'s most of which were Walkers... Could happen. Did happen.

Halves are a better deal all the way around. if you found 1 90% half your looking at around 12x face or a net profit of $5.50 and silver is found everyday on this board.

On the Dimes 2nd choice for me but harder to find silver, Most report a 1/2500 ratio or 1 per box of $250 as an established average. I do better on the hand rolled vs the boxed or machine roll. simply because there is always the potential of catching a dream roll. But again $50 budget wont get you very far.

Forget the quarters on your budget.

Pennies (Cents) are the best value based on your budget. You got to find a lot of wheat's to profit as much as 1 single 90% half though. But as others have noted there are cud and error variety's that can earn you some good returns, and $50 in Cents will keep you busy for a couple of hours.

My recommendation is expand your budget and leave no stone unturned.

Mojo

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
You need to up your budget. Learn some self control and flip what you find for more money. Use your self control to make sure any money you make goes back into searching.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
50 Bucks is fine if you are just picking up loose coins but, if the bank has 10, 15, 50 rolls you will be in a position CRHers don't like to be in. Try to save up about 500 bucks so at least you can take up to a complete box. I do have to admit though once I was handed 4 kennedy halves and 2 out of 4 were 90% Silver. As I keep saying, IT'S ALL THE LUCK OF THE DRAW!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey twinsrule,

My budget it lower than yours and I have had a ball coin roll hunting for the last year and a half. I started trying to fill my Jefferson Nickle books. I have just 7 dates left to complete the set. I have found one V nickle, 7 buffalo's and a few dozen war nickles and a couple of dream rolls. I have never bought a box. I work 10 rolls of nickles at a time. I just bring them into a bank and trade them in for new ones. I search 95% of the time while I am in the car. I search while waiting in line to pick my kids up at school, when I am waiting at red lights or if I get to my job early. I work all over the state of Michigan so it is not that difficult to walk into a bank and trade my searched coins for new ones. I do mark the outside of my rolls so I do not ever get the same ones over. I usually search about 80 to a hundred dollars a week, depending on my work schedule.

So have a ball and keep searching.

Gordon

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I'm sure there is but I don't have it handy.

I love for:

-Pre-58 (wheats, indians)
-72 DDO
-83 DDR
-84 DDO
-95 DDO
-98, 99, 00 Wide AMs

Any other errors I can see with the naked eye, cuds, off centers, etc.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I know this old dude( hey wait a minute he's younger than me :icon_scratch:) anyway he picks up soda cans and turns them in for a nickel apiece. He uses the money to buy a silver eagles, Morgan,or Peace dollars.He buys 2 or 3 a month. He's been doing this for several years and has quite a collection he built up for free.
HH
Rich

chasev

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2010
JasonB said:
I'm sure there is but I don't have it handy.

I love for:

-Pre-58 (wheats, indians)
-72 DDO
-83 DDR
-84 DDO
-95 DDO
-98, 99, 00 Wide AMs

Any other errors I can see with the naked eye, cuds, off centers, etc.
More penny errors:

92 and 92D Close AMs
2009 Formative Years DDR

The errors are out there, last week I found one 2009 DDR and an 82 with a cud.

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for all the reply's, and i will probably try to up my budget, but most likely only to $100. For me, this is mainly a fun hobby, but still, who doesn't want silver and keepers? I think I will try to sell my copper, and that will help with the budget. I think every time, i will return what i had left from taking out keepers and coppers, until i get to $50. Then i will try to sell the copper again, and maybe expand my budget a little from that, too. Let me know if you think this is a good idea.

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Rich Hartford said:
I know this old dude( hey wait a minute he's younger than me :icon_scratch:) anyway he picks up soda cans and turns them in for a nickel apiece. He uses the money to buy a silver eagles, Morgan,or Peace dollars.He buys 2 or 3 a month. He's been doing this for several years and has quite a collection he built up for free.
HH
Rich
That sounds like a good idea, except i don't live near any towns or citys, hence the "low time" That in its self makes me able to only CRH 2-3 times a month.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is do whatever makes you happy, and even more importantly, what you can afford. Obviously, the more money you have to play with, the more you will find. If you're happy at $50 a pop, then just have at it. If you want to increase the $50 without digging into your pocket, then you pretty much have to sell all your finds and put all the proceeds into your CRH bankroll.

Obviously, cents will give you the most coins to search. If you're happy finding a few wheats to add to the collection, then in my opinion this is the way to go on a $50 budget. However, if you are looking to increase your bankroll strictly by CRHing, then I think you have to look for silver. Finding and selling just 1 roll of 40% halves would nearly double your searching bankroll.

But therein lies your other problem. You have said that you only have time to CRH 2-3 times per month. $50 worth of halves will take less than 5 minutes to search. Will that be enough? Only you can decide.

Just my opinion. Keep us posted and good luck!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
Now, i know this will take a long time, but if you save all of the copper cent in your boxes, then you could make quite a profit, seeing as to that i have $75.00 in copper cents that i pluck from circulation here and there, when I'm low on money, and now they are just sitting on top of safe, rolled, and boxed collecting dust, & going to waste, until i need money, and then i will sell them, or just turn them into the bank depending on how badly i need the money. And, like someone said, just add a little money to it here and there, and you can accumulate quite a massive amount. -CHAINCHOMP

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

Now THAT is a good idea!
Going GREEN
Then turning into SILVER

Gotta keep that one in mind!

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread