Finally! 1999 Wide AM (Update: Graded MS-62!)

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Attachments

• 99 together.jpg
    99 together.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,537
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

Welcome to the club Jason! :icon_thumright:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

I never understood how you penny guys find these things. I mean what do you have to do break out the ruler on every 99 to determine this? Congrats but I still can't even tell with the blown up pics.

Golden Silver

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

quiksilver said:
What is a wide AM and how can u tell

NoThe "Wide AM" and "Close AM" varieties stem from the use of Proof dies on circulation strike coins, and vice-versa. They refer to the first two letters of AMERICA and whether they are nearly touching or not.

You might want to also check this site out.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/_Ty-2_Reverse_Cent_Varieties.htm

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Thanks guys. I can 'em with the naked eye. I check with a loupe just to save some time though.

It feels so good, I've been on cloud nine today. One just sold on eBay for $210 today. You don't see many sold period. I've read there are only 350 or so known examples.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

golden silver said:
I never understood how you penny guys find these things. I mean what do you have to do break out the ruler on every 99 to determine this? Congrats but I still can't even tell with the blown up pics.

Golden Silver

GS, if you know what you are looking for they are easy to spot. Have yet to find a 99 but have found several 98 and 00's. Just takes some patience to look through all the date range.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

JasonB said:
Thanks guys. I can 'em with the naked eye. I check with a loupe just to save some time though.

It feels so good, I've been on cloud nine today. One just sold on eBay for $210 today. You don't see many sold period. I've read there are only 350 or so known examples.

You should be on cloud nine! Finding a penny worth $200 or so is the equivalent of finding a half worth about $10,000 :o....... Instead of just looking for just another silver edge, you are actually doing coin work, and should be proud :thumbsup:..
Oh, don't be in a big hurry to sell that thing, as it will only continue to increase in value...

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Thanks! I agree with the value increasing. If these turn out to be as rare as some folks think, they could be pretty pricey. At any price, getting one at face value makes for a great bargain.

I also got a BU 1998 Wide AM. Much more common as I've found several of these but this one is super good condition.

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

It looks as though there is a pretty good ding next to the IN of the motto on the obverse and some greenish contaminant to the right of the memorial on the reverse. I see AU-55 to -58 details, but with the problems visible and the spotting I would figure you'd get VF-XF money, depending on the buyer.

Very nice find and it should still bring a very nice premium. Wish I could stumble across 1...or 20. Not too many cause the price would come down.

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (Update! Got it Graded!)

Okay, I got the coin graded by ANACS. Can anyone guess the grade? It's higher than I thought it would have been.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (update: got it graded)

EF-45 or AU-50?

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Congrats!

Thanks for posting the pictures for us newbies that were uncertain to the reference.

Cheers!

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

ANACS graded it at MS 62! I just got their shipping notification. I'll post a pic of the slab when I get it in hand.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
NIce find.
I for one wouldnt mind the picture right next to a regular penny since i can never seem to tell if i have found any errors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions