Pet Peeves

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
1. Tellers that pull out the silver from the customer roll right in front of you and then expect you to buy the rest
2. Old lady tellers that get upset when another teller sells you their rolls and yells "I haven't looked through those yet"
3. $7.50/box fees even for pennies
4. Marked Coins

Those are a few of mine....

KEverett

Ohhhh and people who dig up posts from a year ago or reply to a post with just a " :thumbsup: " to get their post count up....

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
fistfulladirt said:
Collectors with a fetish regarding cleaned coins.

I used to feel like you on this FFD, but sometime you should take a legitimate MS quality old US silver dollar (that has not toned) or US gold coin and compare them to "cleaned" ones of the same type. Hold them under a good light source and move the coin around and you will see the difference. The original surface reflects the light in a very dazzling sort of way and the "cleaned" coin's surface will look kind of "dead", even though the coin itself might appear "shiny". Once you have seen this you will not look at "cleaned" coins the same.

Jim

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Definitely marked rolls, which I am starting to see A LOT (especially with the halves).

Even so, they're all worth checking. One time I came across two marked rolls with "silver Kennedy" written on them that were solid 40%.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People who use the coin roll hunting forum to rant and rave about the current state of the union or the world in general. It's ok for someone to talk about their beliefs about silver prices and fiat currencies. That is somewhat pertinent. But the constant bitching, complaining, fear mongering, and general conspiracy theorizing is getting ridiculous. You can hardly go into a thread out here in this forum without it turning into a soapbox for certain members touting their belief systems. There was a thread just today where a guy simply said that he was going to have to quit coin roll hunting because he was taking a part time job. The thread turned into the typical political soap box. The guy finally had to ask everyone to "chill out" and stop ruining his thread with their rants (that's my interpretation of his response). If you want to start your own thread and rant then I guess I can always ignore it. But when it permeates just about every thread out here I can't escape it. And when you are taking over other people's threads with your constant bitching then you aren't being respectful of others. Especially if it is so bad that they have to ask you to stop.

Oh yeah, and another pet peeve is folks who can't admit they've made a mistake despite the fact that they are operating under the cloak of anonymity that is provided by the Internet. But that is a general pet peeve and not specifically related to this forum. ;D

OP
OP
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great answers everyone, especially you keverett. Glad to know I'm not imagining things. :icon_thumright:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:
Collectors with a fetish regarding cleaned coins.

I used to feel like you on this FFD, but sometime you should take a legitimate MS quality old US silver dollar (that has not toned) or US gold coin and compare them to "cleaned" ones of the same type. Hold them under a good light source and move the coin around and you will see the difference. The original surface reflects the light in a very dazzling sort of way and the "cleaned" coin's surface will look kind of "dead", even though the coin itself might appear "shiny". Once you have seen this you will not look at "cleaned" coins the same.

Jim
Not to beat a dead horse Jim, but my opinion on cleaning coins refers to average crh'd silver and (dug) coins. I agree 100% on not cleaning anything gold or high-end silver.

ffd

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
When I look back on it, although productive, road trips were awful. Way too many negative experiences.
The only pet peeve I have these days is dumping coins, which I dislike with a passion, but are unfortunately necessary to play the game.
HH
Rich

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins, Marked coins

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
MTS you summed it up for me. My pet peeve is constant pissing and moaning that I hear about our country. If you want to have a political discussion please go to a forum for that. It's called TreasureNet not BitchNet.

Good luck to EVERYONE, no matter their political slant, on searching for silver. I root for all of you and wish ALL of you well.

OWS

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
keverett said:
1. Tellers that pull out the silver from the customer roll right in front of you and then expect you to buy the rest
2. Old lady tellers that get upset when another teller sells you their rolls and yells "I haven't looked through those yet"
3. $7.50/box fees even for pennies
4. Marked Coins

Those are a few of mine....

KEverett

Ohhhh and people who dig up posts from a year ago or reply to a post with just a " :thumbsup: " to get their post count up....

Ditto, especially with fees for ordering / fees for dumping / fees for using coin machines.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mts said:
People who use the coin roll hunting forum to rant and rave about the current state of the union or the world in general. It's ok for someone to talk about their beliefs about silver prices and fiat currencies. That is somewhat pertinent. But the constant bitching, complaining, fear mongering, and general conspiracy theorizing is getting ridiculous. You can hardly go into a thread out here in this forum without it turning into a soapbox for certain members touting their belief systems. There was a thread just today where a guy simply said that he was going to have to quit coin roll hunting because he was taking a part time job. The thread turned into the typical political soap box. The guy finally had to ask everyone to "chill out" and stop ruining his thread with their rants (that's my interpretation of his response). If you want to start your own thread and rant then I guess I can always ignore it. But when it permeates just about every thread out here I can't escape it. And when you are taking over other people's threads with your constant bitching then you aren't being respectful of others. Especially if it is so bad that they have to ask you to stop.

Oh yeah, and another pet peeve is folks who can't admit they've made a mistake despite the fact that they are operating under the cloak of anonymity that is provided by the Internet. But that is a general pet peeve and not specifically related to this forum. ;D

I had to go back to that post that you mentioned espoused "fear mongering", "conspiracies", "politics", "rants",etc.
To me the subject just happened to naturely go off track a bit from coin roll hunting. That happens sometimes and in my opinion is no big deal.
I enjoy pretty much all of the posts here. Once in a great while someone will post something that doesn't interest me.I just go on to the next post.
HH
Rich

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I agree with MTS and ObsessedwithSilver, I don't like the "political" nonsense that comes up on this forum. If you want to change the "climate" then vote. Let's keep this site for what it was meant to be and that is coin collecting. Now that being said, my only "beef" is the rising cost of gasoline. Puts a crimp in my "road trips" Happy Hunting everyone!
rileyboy

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
Fees, boxes not being delivered on time to the bank, rude tellers, banks that don't verify the count of the roll of coin brought in by customers, pennies in dime rolls etc., skunk boxes (so far, everything i have named is so obvious, i don't know why i'm even wasting my time) boxes/roll being all dented, ripped, and destroyed, ugly people, really really ugly people :tongue3: no offence ;D(this includes fat people :laughing7:), the security guards at the bank, cuz it is always the same one, so they get grumpy after seeing u so often, but with tellers, you'll usually get different ones to help keep them from getting mad, dumping coins, coin counter bags getting full, long lines at the bank, banks that don't have a different number for each branch, only having a # for the main office somewhere in the country, so you have to have them call a branch to have that branch order you a box...and so on...this list goes on for ever, basically with everything about this hobby, except finding keepers! :laughing9:
HH, -CHAINCHOMP

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
My Biggest Pet Peeve

People who post on this board about how greedy us CRH's are and that we wine too much about fees and tellers.

This is a "CRH'g FORUM". It is all about CRH'g and if You don't understand, that the beauty of this hobby is, that we finally get to take advantage of the bank's, because they have no problem with taking advantage of people every chance they get.

So the real beauty of this hobby is truly the low cost of doing it for the most part. And sometimes the payoff can be handsome. But it is a lot of work if you venture into the 10 box a week territory so fees would just kill it for all of us. And road trips can wear on you and your wallet if you ain't finding nothing.

We know we are lucky to be able to do this fee free. That's why we do it.

If your not a CRH'er get off our thread. Find the I'm righteous and a bleeding heart bank lover thread.

"Get Off Our Stage!"

Mojo

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
mts said:

I had to go back to that post that you mentioned espoused "fear mongering", "conspiracies", "politics", "rants",etc.
To me the subject just happened to naturely go off track a bit from coin roll hunting. That happens sometimes and in my opinion is no big deal.
I enjoy pretty much all of the posts here. Once in a great while someone will post something that doesn't interest me.I just go on to the next post.
HH
Rich

Have to agree with you Rich. There are a variety of people from different backgrounds that CRH. Everyone sees things differently and threads may take different turns depending on what that person feels or believes. Not that one should hijack someones post but if you really feel strongly about not wanting to hear what the person says, ignore them. Its that simple.

My pet peeves....

-Dumping large amounts of half dollars in small incriments.
-Coin carriers to lazy to drop off and confirm the count on bags. Instead they just drop them off at my pickup bank.
-Other silver searchers dumping large amounts at a time at dump banks.
-Posters replying to threads that are several months old just to say.... Good job or :icon_thumleft:

I am sure there are many more. I have scaled back my amounts each week with summer here. Time to enjoy the nice weather and not have to dump every Saturday...

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
mts said:

To me the subject just happened to naturally go off track a bit from coin roll hunting. That happens sometimes and in my opinion is no big deal.
HH
Rich

Rich, I hope that I haven't offended you with my rant. Your role in that post was not excessive and you were just adding a few thoughts. My main beef is with a handful of members on this forum who constantly turn other people's threads into their personal political soap box. If you look at their posts nearly 50% of them recently have consisted of bitching about the state of the world. And as you can see from the thread in question, many people are getting very tired of it. I can put these people on ignore. And I have. But you can't ignore everyone. And I certainly don't want to ignore you. I truly enjoy reading your posts and I'm sure that I speak for many people here when I say that it is people like you that give the rest of us inspiration to continue this hobby. But once one of these political propagandists sinks their claws into a thread things rapidly start spiraling downhill and the original meaning is lost. And when the creator of the thread ends up having to tell people to knock it off and stop ruining his thread then that's when people need to apologize and take notice that they aren't being respectful of others.

I could rant on and on about it but then I'd be no better than them. :wink: I can tolerate a political oriented post now and then. But it has become excessive and it is dragging down the forum. I have to deal with it everywhere else out here on Treasurenet. It would be nice if this forum could remain true to the coin roll hunting hobby.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
....Not that one should hijack someones post but if you really feel strongly about not wanting to hear what the person says, ignore them. Its that simple.

Like I just said, you can't ignore everyone. I have these people on ignore. But their posts still incite others to join in and make comments. And before you know it the whole thread has gone down the drain. I don't want to ignore Rich or you. You guys have good things to say. And if these other "trouble makers" didn't constantly post their rhetoric then people like Rich wouldn't even think about making political statements out here (at least not excessively). And it's not that I necessarily disagree with all that is being said. But enough is enough.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But everyone should also be entitled to be able to start a thread about coin roll hunting and not have it turn into someones political propaganda machine. It's a simple thing called respect. And I would hope that certain people would respect the fact that many of us are getting tired of hearing about their political views. I have no problem with a few political posts now and then. But up to 50% of these people's posts are related to their political views and they are not starting their own threads to express these beliefs. They are hijacking other people's posts.

I can ignore these people. But I can't ignore the damage they do to this forum.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Rich, I hope that I haven't offended you with my rant.

Mts,
Not at all your opinion is welcome, and valuable. I don't see any danger of this forum being hijacked by politics.
The subject of CRH can be linked to many different subjects that may seem off topic but are related.
Taxes, guns, PM manipulation, police state, the failing dollar,Obama,Conspiracy, morality,economy,survivalism,etc. These subjects have been posted by many members.They are of interest to me,but not as much as reading about a great or unusual coin find.

We all have different opinions but are bound by a common hobby, with different motivations for our CRH activity.
I think that it is a good thing to be tolerant and understanding of each other.

Which leads me to a pet peeve
CENSORSHIP
I have a dry sense of humor, and I'm too old to be politically correct in words and actions. This is how I am in person and when I write.
I recently made a comment about a bank manager,referring to the country that she came from and the construction of their living quarters. I was trying to be funny,maybe a bit sarcastic. I have been to this particular country and accurately described the housing.
A non contributing member posted that my comment offended him. He is entitled to his opinion, although I doubt he has ever been to the country I was referring to, as it is certainly not in any tourist books.
My post did indeed have to do with CRH but was partially censored for my comment which in a "head in the sand" sense of a false reality, could be construed as being politically incorrect.
I can understand censoring comments that would be inappropriate for our young members, but otherwise I don't like to see anyones comments censored.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread