Yesterdays Halves

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Yesterday's Halves

I was back on the Half Dollar trail yesterday. It wasn't as good as it has been. I bought a total of $800 in halves and the yield was a total of 6 40% Kennedys. I guess I was getting spoiled expecting lots of 40% halves whenever I got large quantities of rolls. Two of the keepers came from Brinks machine rolls. At one of the banks they only had 3 loose halves...and a '65 Kennedy was one of the three coins.
Most of the rolls turned out to be searched. Some of the rolls were marked '89d, '76d etc. The coins in those rolls looked to be in new, unused condition...very nice...but no real value.

There doesn't appear to be any real way to determine where or when to get rolls. I have tried the poorer areas of the city, the wealthier areas and rural areas. Timing and luck appear to be the only factors.
Does anyone know anything about state quarters? I was in a coin shop yesterday and they sell state quarters of different years and mint marks for $1 ea. Can someone educate me on this?

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Yesterday's Halves

Yeah, I have seen the same thing with state quarters as well. I think it's just because those priced that way have been taken directly from a mint roll and have never entered circulation.

As for finding halves, your results yesterday where better than I have done since I started, so I can't comment on where to find good ones,haha.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: Yesterday's Halves

I always deposit my halves in the same bank, right here in town. If they are all going into the same bank, I know which one not to go to for halves, and at the same time I have a steady in flow of unsearched ones coming in from other banks in the surrounding towns. Today I was working about 3 hours from home, and found a bank that has $1400 in halves that the teller says has been in the vault forever. I will be in that town a lot next month, so I will clean them out in two ,or three trips. Today I only had $100 on me, so I bought 10 rolls, and ended up with 2 90%, and 7 40% Kennedy's.........no complaints!

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread