Local CHASE Banks Had A Meeting About Me

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went in today to the teller that is always rude to me. Apparently last evening they had a meeting in a town about 45min away and discussed what I do. I am no longer allowed to bring in large amounts of change for deposit or to cash. I also cannot withdrawal change either. This is one hell of a joke in my book. All of the local branches know exactly who I am.

The only positive about it was that one of the tellers at another one of their branches said that one of her family members runs local arcades and vending machines. We talked for a while about eBay, etc., and she said that if an opening comes up for someone to run routes to get the change / stock the machines that she would have them give me a call :)

Talk about a great job for a coin roll hunter, haha, basically getting paid a salary to do what I already do everyday anyways... hmmm...

But still.... stupid lady at that one branch... grrr... I guess all of the branches have some beef with me, but she is the only one that is rude to me about it.

Oh well, life shall go on...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennyworth said:
OK, first of all you need to look in the telephone book for the telephone number for the regional manager and speak with him or her. The bank can NOT refuse to take your coins. I told you that I had that happen to me by the bank manager and I reported her to her regional manager. I received a phone call from the regional manager saying that the bank manager knew she was wrong,would apologize and that I could bring in the coins.

Well, she hasn't apologized and I really don't want to hear BOO from her anyways. But I took coins in there today and they didn't say a thing to me. I'll tell you what, if you can't set this straight by speaking with a regional manager I would seek an attorney and sue the bank.

When you open a bank account they give you a bunch of papers about everything related to your account and what you can do,fees, and so forth. I spent on evening reading thru all of it and there is NOTHING in there that says large amounts of coins can not be deposited or cashed.

You certainly need to remind the regional manager that the bank is a financial instiution,coins are LEGAL tender, and it is illegal for them to refuse to accept them! It's that simple. That is exactly what I told the regional manager in a very calm voice. I also told them that as a financial instiution that they made the choice to ship coins out and pay a fee to do so, that is how they set up the business. Remind them that they are using your money in your account on a daily basis and that,this is one of the small perks allowed to you.

Now this is a nice post right here! I just need to find the phone # listings right now, because yesterday at the bank they wouldn't give them to me.

As for closing my account, I'm not really interested in doing that. This ATM card is pretty valuable when I'm out traveling.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Regional manager is the way to go, and if that don't work, call corporate. Don't drag yourself down to their level trying wacky schemes to nail them. The most important thing here is to be calm, cool and collected. Act professional and state your case firmly, don't make any statements that could be construed as wisecracks.

If you still can't get it resolved trying it the right way, then it would be time to move on. Other banks have ATM cards too. And if you do have to set up a new acct., ask before you do it if it is gonna be a problem depositing coin.

Most banks in my area won't accept rolled coin anymore either, as they get shorted either intentionally or unintentionally. Most banks here have coin counters and prefer you bring them in loose.

Z

ZumbroKid

Was at my bank today. I asked about this situation, they said they want the coins loose. Also if a person brings in so much to the point they consider it troublesome they can refuse to accept them from the customer. So how much do you take in a day? Week?

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some weeks I will take in several hundred, others nothing at all. I also spread it out between bank branches and different banks altogether. As for the ATM cards, I know others have them as well, but very few have as many nationwide ATM locations as Chase does (formerly BankOne).

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bscofield6 said:
Pennyworth said:
OK, first of all you need to look in the telephone book for the telephone number for the regional manager and speak with him or her. The bank can NOT refuse to take your coins. I told you that I had that happen to me by the bank manager and I reported her to her regional manager. I received a phone call from the regional manager saying that the bank manager knew she was wrong,would apologize and that I could bring in the coins.

Well, she hasn't apologized and I really don't want to hear BOO from her anyways. But I took coins in there today and they didn't say a thing to me. I'll tell you what, if you can't set this straight by speaking with a regional manager I would seek an attorney and sue the bank.

When you open a bank account they give you a bunch of papers about everything related to your account and what you can do,fees, and so forth. I spent on evening reading thru all of it and there is NOTHING in there that says large amounts of coins can not be deposited or cashed.

You certainly need to remind the regional manager that the bank is a financial instiution,coins are LEGAL tender, and it is illegal for them to refuse to accept them! It's that simple. That is exactly what I told the regional manager in a very calm voice. I also told them that as a financial instiution that they made the choice to ship coins out and pay a fee to do so, that is how they set up the business. Remind them that they are using your money in your account on a daily basis and that,this is one of the small perks allowed to you.

Now this is a nice post right here! I just need to find the phone # listings right now, because yesterday at the bank they wouldn't give them to me.

As for closing my account, I'm not really interested in doing that. This ATM card is pretty valuable when I'm out traveling.

hmmmm...i wonder why they wouldnt give you that number? ;) maybe because they know they are full of $#^&. look up the number, call it,explain yourself and watch the attitudes change ;D you actually may have a lawsuit. i would speak to an attorney that does free first consultations and get his opinion on how to proceed. that bank may owe you a lot more than pocket change!!

Z

ZumbroKid

bscofield6 said:
Some weeks I will take in several hundred, others nothing at all. I also spread it out between bank branches and different banks altogether. As for the ATM cards, I know others have them as well, but very few have as many nationwide ATM locations as Chase does (formerly BankOne).
Sounds like binge coin roll hunting! Could be one of those 12 step self help groups for this. :D

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeTwoDtect said:
bscofield6 said:
Sounds like binge coin roll hunting! Could be one of those 12 step self help groups for this. :D

Haha, oh yes, keeps me occupied during the cold winter months where I can't get out to detect... brrrrr

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Brian, the 1-800 number is on the back of your ATM card.
The fact that they wouldn't give you the number is also something I would mention to whom ever you speak to at the corporate office.

Paul

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to a Chase bank outside of town to just deposit some coins into my account. The teller had no problem with it and filled up her little coin trays and then when she pulled up my account info she said she couldn't take them from me. She has to send them out for collection and that I have to wait for until any money is in my account. By the way, they were all rolled, not just a bucket of change.

Grrrr, no other bank has an issue with this but Chase.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your account's been "flagged." I was just thinking that all Chase has to do to bar you from bringing in coin is lie to corporate and say some of your rolls were short, which I'm sure you're careful of. Maybe they'll break down and install an automated counter. I wish banks in Nevada had them.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Some banks are just really really dumb. After yesterday, I now have two banks I won't go to for anything anymore. Every time I go to this bank, this lady who looks like she has something smelly under her nose constantly is always the teller. She insisted on running all $50 of my pennies through the coin machine to see if I had short changed any of them. I obviously just replace the ones I take out and don't count each roll. After everything, it turns out that the total came to $49.88. 12 freaking cents. I think she failed to realize, that for twelve cents, I would never get an account at their bank (which I have considered sometimes) and I will always try to convince people not to get accounts there. Customer service was sacrificed for accuracy. I stood there at the booth for twenty minutes staring at the wall for goodness sake! :-\

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn right Snee about vanishing customer service. The "hard count" you had to endure not only incoveniences you but everyone else behind you.

The merchant teller at my B of A, while a nice guy, takes lunch at 11:00, and no one replaces him. So if you come in at 11:05 you either sit and wait for an hour or go to the regular tellers. And some of them have never handled merchant transactions. This holds up the line while they shag down bulk change orders that are a normally a snap for the proper tellers.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked with my bank the other day. I was told that I could deposit coins and that they did not have to be rolled. I asked about another branch closer to my home and they thought I would need to roll them as it did not have a coin counter. She also said that any money coin or paper that is still in circulation is legal tender. Meaning you should be able to deposit and get rolled coins freely. Don,t play around keep going up the food chain until you find someone with the brain to see it your way.

Ed Donovan

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Here is my opinion - I am a Branch Manager of a financial institution and I might be able to shed a little light on this issue for you. Review the funds availability policy of your bank. Under Reg CC you cannot refuse to accept any deposit of legal US currency unless it is proven to be counterfeit, in which case you would have to turn the item over to the police.

Here is the actual information from Reg CC:

"The following types of deposits must be made available on the first business day following the banking day of deposit (?next-day availability?):

Cash deposited in person to one of your employees.

Electronic payments received by your institution for deposit in an account ? An electronic payment is considered received (deposited) when your institution has received both payment in collected funds and information on the account and the amount to be credited. (Under other rules, funds for most electronic deposits are made available on the day of deposit.)

U.S. Treasury checks deposited in an account held by a payee of the check ? Unlike deposit types listed in 4 through 8 below, which pertain to deposits made in person, Treasury checks deposited at an ATM owned by your institution (a ?proprietary? ATM) must be accorded next-day availability.

U.S. Postal Service money orders deposited in person to one of your employees and into an account held by a payee of the check.

Federal Reserve Bank and Federal Home Loan Bank checks deposited in person to one of your employees and into an account held by a payee of the check.

State or local government checks deposited in person to one of your employees and into an account held by a payee of the check, if your institution is in the same state as the payor of the check. (Note: If the customer desires next-day availability of funds from these checks, you may require use of a special deposit slip.)

Cashier?s, certified, or teller?s checks deposited in person to one of your employees and into an account held by a payee of the check. (Note: If the customer desires next-day availability of funds from these checks, you may require use of a special deposit slip.)

Checks drawn on an account held by your institution (?on-us checks?) deposited in person to one of your employees or at on-premises ATMs or night depositories, if the branch or branches involved are in the same state or check-processing region.

Deposits that include some checks of types not listed above ? The first $100 (or the total amount of the deposit if it is less than $100) of non-?next-day? checks must be made available the next day. "

Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought this would answer your question - talk to the highest ranking person you can reach within the organization and if that doesnt work, just as others have said - this is a form of discrimination. NO bank turns down cold hard cash, whether its a coin or bill.

I do deal with this issue on a day to day basis so I do know a little about it - hope this helps.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Well there you have it, from someone in the know....

I personally have never had a problem with my deposits, although yesterday I was asked if I was a "member" of this REALLY elite credit union that I went into to purchase halves. Every time I have contacted this particular C.U. I have been asked that. Perhaps that explains why they only have one branch here, and have been here for years...... ;)

Hmmmm.... most of the other banks and C.U.'s around LOVE to get rid of their halves, as they don't have to pay to get them shipped back to the fed.

I can sympathize with the banks, however. It's all about columns on a spreadsheet. It doesn't matter if a teller does a half million dollars in business in a day, it better come out to the penny. Thats what they're there for.

Rolls must suck for them. Take your change in loose from now on. They probably have gotten stiffed a penny or two in the past, even if it was unintentional.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my friend go in on Friday at the branch that made all of this happen to me. I gave her 10 rolls of nickels ($20) that I tried to take in on Wednesday and get denied. She said they made some comments about someone who brings in lots of change and they don't like, but I forget her exact words. But, they cashed the coins for her on the spot, whereas I cannot even deposit them. When I try to deposit them they said that it takes over a week before the funds will be available in my account. Grrr... I need to get out my papers for when I signed up to see what it says exactly.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now it's obvious they're just playing games. So much for customer equality. And where do they get off impugning you to another customer like that?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
go get the phone book. turn to the attorneys section and find one that does free consultations. see what he/she thinks. maybe you can find one that only gets paid if you win your case. it could be worth your while.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
Wow, now it's obvious they're just playing games. So much for customer equality. And where do they get off impugning you to another customer like that?

Yeah, I don't really understand what is going on exactly...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread