Local CHASE Banks Had A Meeting About Me

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went in today to the teller that is always rude to me. Apparently last evening they had a meeting in a town about 45min away and discussed what I do. I am no longer allowed to bring in large amounts of change for deposit or to cash. I also cannot withdrawal change either. This is one hell of a joke in my book. All of the local branches know exactly who I am.

The only positive about it was that one of the tellers at another one of their branches said that one of her family members runs local arcades and vending machines. We talked for a while about eBay, etc., and she said that if an opening comes up for someone to run routes to get the change / stock the machines that she would have them give me a call :)

Talk about a great job for a coin roll hunter, haha, basically getting paid a salary to do what I already do everyday anyways... hmmm...

But still.... stupid lady at that one branch... grrr... I guess all of the branches have some beef with me, but she is the only one that is rude to me about it.

Oh well, life shall go on...

Upvote 0

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you will reply back to my post with the details from Reg CC - when a deposit is made in currency, the deposit must be made available on the first business day following the banking day of deposit. They cannot "hold" your deposit if it is currency, only if it is a check.

This is a federal regulation - no matter who you talk to within the bank you are doing business with, they cannot override this regulation.

You definately need to call an attorney - descrimination and violation of federal banking regulations.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
christophernixon said:
If you will reply back to my post with the details from Reg CC - when a deposit is made in currency, the deposit must be made available on the first business day following the banking day of deposit. They cannot "hold" your deposit if it is currency, only if it is a check.

This is a federal regulation - no matter who you talk to within the bank you are doing business with, they cannot override this regulation.

You definately need to call an attorney - descrimination and violation of federal banking regulations.

Is there a website that I can go to that quotes this? I would really enjoy going in there with the proper documenation and see how they react.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subpart B--Availability of Funds and Disclosure of Funds Availability Policies
Section 229.10 Next-day availability
States that the regulation requires that cash deposits, wire transfers, and certain check deposits that Congress believes pose little risk to the depositary bank, such as Treasury checks and cashiers checks, generally be made available for withdrawal by the business day after the banking day of deposit.

That is what I have found so far.... it's the 'generally' that seems like a loophole... I have a hard time telling if it is just for Treasury checks and cashiers check, or for all deposits.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=12&PART=229&SECTION=10&YEAR=1999&TYPE=TEXT

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=12&PART=229&SECTION=10&YEAR=1999&TYPE=TEXT

There is the link straight from the Government Printing Office's website on Regulation CC.

I'm no legal mind by any means, but it seems to me that they can't hold my coin for a week to send it out to be counted. It must be available the next business day for me to use. They have never stated once to me that my coin total came back anything other than what I stated it to be when I deposited it, so I don't really see what their deal is.

Anyone think I should print it out and take it in to the bank tomorrow with some change?

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If the Bank does not complete a transaction from your account on time or in a correct amount, according to the Bank's Agreement with you, the Bank will be liable for your losses or damages."

That is in my 'Account Rules and Regulations' booklet that I recevied when I created an account with them. There is also something in there about costs for depositing / withdrawing coins for businesses and it states that those fees do not apply to consumers.

Hmmmmm..... Is this a legitimate case?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes, you have a legit beef, but in every "revision of terms" pamphlet I get from Wells Fargo there's always that little disclaimer, something like "the provisions of this agreement may be changed or altered at any time." But I think that requires prior witten notice and doesn't apply to verbal changes done on the whim of any given branch.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
In this case it doesn't matter what the individual branch thinks.... As Christopher pointed out, its a federal regulation that all legal US currency be made available the folowing day. They have no choice in the matter.

It's really to bad it got to this point. I would hope that by talking to the corporate office and reminding them of the federal regulation, they will see things your way. If they don't you have a good case, in my opinion. I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV... ;)

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I worked in a bar for one summer and I would make the bank depoists sometimes and get the change for the next night. The Fifth Third bank started to give me a hard time about returning the rolls of coins I had gotten from them and still unbroken.
They wanted me to put the name and address on each roll I know my boss got a bit mad. Then the final straw was I went inside to get about 100 dollars in change for Saturday night, I handed the teller 100 dollars the teller asked me if I was an account holder I told her it was for the bar(the bar is like 1/2 a block away). Then she asked me if I was authorized to access the account I told her I just want rolls of change and I paid you the 100 already. They refused to sell me the change, my boss ended up closing the account and moving to better bank. The bank I use now has a coin machine and I have dumped over 60 bucks worth of pennys into it before with no problems. I don't put the zinc pennys that are in bad shape into it.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
I once had an account with Bank One and then Chase, and I always had problems with them; mainly their rude tellers. I waited until I got a $5000 check I was expecting and deposited it. When it cleared I went and closed the account. I figured they would be a little more pissed about closing an account with 5 grand in it over one that usually has about $10 in it! ;D

Like a lot of people, I have a "change bucket" I dump my spare change into daily. After a couple of months, I roll em' and cash them in. Amounts would range from $20 to $100. Now, this isn't a weekly thing like you do, but it was always my understanding that they cannot ever refuse any legal tender U.S. currency. I've never had a problem cashing rolled coins.

I hope you nail the suckers, because they did you wrong, and I hate Chase with a passion, too.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
My two cents--Not in the banking business, but in business..

A bank is a business just like any other business. The bottom line is that they survive on making a buck. If I deposit a $100 dollars in change and withdraw it a day later in rolled coins (simple example) the bank has lost some money (employee's time to run the change counter, paper rolls, cleaning, paper receipt, eating candy, etc., etc.) If I do this often, I understand why the bank would have a problem with me. I'm a "negative" customer. I'm costing the bank more than I'm worth to them. Harsh, but that's the bottom line.

Take this above example and put in your own situation...I deposit change about once a month at my bank (unrolled...rolling doesn't help because they have to recount it.) They have no problem with it. I have an account there and do other business with them. They are making "money" off of me. I'm a "positive" customer.

I understand all the arguments given above....It's legal tender, it has to be available to you, my friend could do it but I couldn't. Maybe you have a legal case and maybe you'll win some kind of settlement, but I can guarantee you something....One of two things will happening with this type of case if you win... The bank will either pass on the extra expense of all that "change counting" to all customers or they will lobby to change the rules so they can deny you that type of service because it's just too expensive of service for them.

T.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tchaire,
It's unfortunate, but you are absolutely right.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
A bank also makes money with its personal service. If you don't offer good service, everyone will take their business elsewhere. Without costumers you have no business. Why else are we seeing all the offers for free checking.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
I agree with you...but personal service has a breaking point too. Bank employees do not need to be rude to the original poster and he deserves an explanation, but if a bank sees that this type of transaction is too much of a "hassle" in trying to please just a handful of customers it's going to do something about it or as I mentioned in my original post, increase fees someplace else. If you can find a bank that will allow this type of transaction that's great...it's a great hobby.

As to the free checking....Let's face it, free checking is not always "free", and in the long run they are going to make money off of you and if not off of you, someone else.

T.

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
but the bank is charging you a fee for your account. they have to take the good with the bad. they are not suppossed to turn down any legal form of currency. change or otherwise. it may take the tellers time to count the coin but what about the people who go in there and they are quick. in business you get good customers and bad(not saying you are bad bosco). you are still getting their business. i have a checking and a savings account at my bank which i am charged a monthly fee for and if they mess with me i will drop my accounts in a heartbeat(and i have a little bit of money in both if you know what i mean) and i will get my family to drop their accounts. so they will lose more than my 2. they are discriminating against you. they cannot serve one customer(the person you got to bring in coins) one way and treat you another. please get a lawyer and nail the bastards. i know you have a case. especially if you are depositing in your account. i wish you luck.

ice

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
bscofield6 said:
"If the Bank does not complete a transaction from your account on time or in a correct amount, according to the Bank's Agreement with you, the Bank will be liable for your losses or damages."

That is in my 'Account Rules and Regulations' booklet that I recevied when I created an account with them. There is also something in there about costs for depositing / withdrawing coins for businesses and it states that those fees do not apply to consumers.

Hmmmmm..... Is this a legitimate case?
What would happen if you deposited an amount of coins, then the next day posted a check for a little more than your acct balance- it would be covered by the coin deposit if it had been processed correctly, butsince they delayed your coin deposit the check bounces. They are now liable for your NSF fee and returned check fee from whoever the check was made out to.
A few of those, and they might change their tune.
Or shoot you.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Call the Feds on them, currency is currency, man, banks not taking money, what happend to this country!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guesse that you will have to start hunt at pnc until they have a meeting to ;)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I know exactly how you feel. All the little po-dunk banks here shut me down as well. They said 10% charge on all change I turn in to them. They stand unified on this issue so I am currently fully out of action roll hunting.

Very sad because my last 2 boxes were smoking hot filled with walkers and many other goodies.

Sorry this happened to you. Too bad we don't have loads of money in thier banks to force them to take a can of shut the F*** Up or lose our accounts.

Sorry Bscofield. I hope you can find a resolution since Chase is a larger bank. I banged my head against the wall down here and found out that no one cares here. Not even the papers would touch the story.

Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions