wonder how long this has been in my pocket change...................

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Did a little laundry tonight......emptied pockets........throw change up on shelf with pile from last load I ran through the washer.........eBay a little, spend too much money............hang out on treasurenet forum for a bit until everyone leaves...........get bored, so do more laundry.....decide to look through small pile of change on shelf........hey, a 1964 dime!! cool.........looking at others with a magnifying glass............hey, whats that? a 1989D lincoln with the date doubled!!! no way! ......look again.......yup, the 9,8 & 9 are doubled clear as day!! and there is a very very slight doubling of the word "God" and "We" in the "In God We Trust". Anyone heard of one? I tried to look it up, but found nothing.

Paul

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
A true doubled die comes from the actual die being pressed twice in different locations, and will have rounded corners on the raised lettering. Sometimes the dies can become a little loose and shift during the striking process, creating what looks like a doubled die, but these impressions generally have a flat, "shelflike" look to them. This is called mechanical doubling and is pretty common.

Supposedly, the mint started a new process a few years back where they only press the dies once, thereby eliminating the chance of doubling occuring during the die making process. I can't remember what year it was, exactly.

Anyways, take a real close at yours and see if you can see the difference.

This is from the Cherrypicker's Guide, by Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton-

Attachments

• doubling.jpg
    doubling.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 277

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread