Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading the posts and just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I have been roll hunting for several years now, mainly focusing on half dollars. I ran upon the same issue on turning in the coins, I would buy them at one branch then turn them in at another. After a couple of months of this the branch I was buying them at would no longer sell them to me, as they were told not to by the cental office in this area. I laid off for a little while and started ordering them from another branch and had no problems getting them. I totally changed my method of getting rid of them. I now spend them. It is a lot slower, but it works out better. Several places I have gone to said they save them for their little kids college fund, and some say that people come in time to time to buy all they have. Needless to say I frequent these places as often as possible. Anytime I go to any store or restaurant and spend $15 or less, I use them. I also run a group lotto at work, I stop at several convenience stores and get the tickets using halves, then get reimbursed by my coworkers with paper money. Also if I take a trip somewhere, I take a bunch of rolled up halves with me and use them for gas and motels. Much of the coins get taken out of circulation for good this way by others hoarding them, which means the banks dont get them back, which means that is less for the folks they give them to to roll and for me to go through again. Less in circulation means the cental bank has to go to the federal reserve vaults to get some more. There may be a better way of doing it, but it works for me right now. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
That is exactly the same thing I do with Halves. (I can't imagine trying it with nickels though!)

I feel the same way, I know that most of the halves I spend will be taken out of circulation and I won't have to worry about searching the same ones again.

I shoot pool in a Friday night mens league and the bartender loves half dollars - she saves them. Well, everytime I get a drink I usually pay and tip her with halves. She loves it and I get awesome service. There are sometimes several people waiting to get drinks, but I usually get served first (imagine that!!)

My biggest problem is trying to find halves now. I've exhausted 10 banks so far (unless someone brings more in). I have more to go to, but with work hours, it is difficult to get to many banks because of their hours.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do that also with halves as well, not all of the time, but much of it. It's the smaller coins that I always have a problem getting rid of :(

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I have spent halves for some of my purchases,but when I buy $700-$1000 in halves sometimes within a few days I need to return them ASAP. I need that money to make purchases of more rolled coins, so I don't really have the option to take a lot of time spending them.

There are a few banks here that will order halves for me,and I've done that twice. One sealed box from Brinks is $500.00 but I have noticed that I only find a few silver halves per box. I have much better luck trying to find and purchase halves that have been turned in to the banks by customers. If I'm really bored and can't find any halves I can always use this as a last resort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread