Cherrypickers abound!

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to set up a string of supply banks. Aside from the quizzical looks from almost all the tellers, I have noticed this: EVERY bank has someone in on the game. Usually a manager, but even the tellers ask me if I am looking for the silver ones, with that "ahhh I know what YOU'RE up to" tone in their voice, despite my devastating charm and (I thought) rock solid cover story of being a mere collector of coinage obscura. They have shown me silver they're filtered out. They have denied me the precious boxes I seek with a sneer or a snarl. One went so far as to tell me she had $6.50 in her drawer, which I eagerly took, only to watch her count them and check the dates so as to NOT give me anything worthwhile!!! >:( Now, I of course have to maintain my cover, as this MAY be a supply bank and I don't want to jeopardize the flow if they're willing to order boxes (so far I have found 2 supply banks that aren't asking me to be a customer. I may open $500. savings accounts at each to keep the relationship amicable) That said - we BOTH know why I am there, so even if we're going to maintain a civilized veneer, DON'T KICK ME IN THE NUTS BY CHERRYPICKING ME RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, KTHX? No offense, but you get paid to provide bank services, not skim money for yourself. If you do it when no one's around, fine - I would do exactly the same. But it's a bit insulting to do it on the counter in front of me on bank time.

/rant off

sry - just a bit frustrated - but my cycle of box orders begins tomorrow so I won't be so concerned with this - just wanted to vent something I'm sure you all feel the same about

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. Maybe just do what I do, offer to buy them on their lunch break or whatever. I picked up a nice '38D Walker for $5 that way! ffd

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
fistfulladirt said:
I feel your pain. Maybe just do what I do, offer to buy them on their lunch break or whatever. I picked up a nice '38D Walker for $5 that way! ffd

Yes anytime a teller tells of her stash, the very next words out of your mouth should be "I'd be willing to pay you a premium for those" and offer exactly what the nearest compettetor would pay ie coin shop.

Mojo

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ongoing order every week at my bank. I have went a round or two before in the past though with one of the tellers leaving silver halves in the change tray out in the open and then denying them to me when I spotted them and tried to "buy" them. "OH THOSE ARE MINE," she said. icon_poop.gif on her!

Attachments

• icon_poop.gif
    icon_poop.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 515

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I know a lot of people are saying things are no different then they were years ago but it sure is starting to seem like the rug is getting pulled out from under CRH lovers. I NEVER had as many skunks as this past 6 months. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
who orders without having an account?

yea those tellers are annoying... my supply bank teller used to lift the boxes but now has the big guy do it. but she once showed me some old 1920s 100s and asked what they worth and i was like prob 110-120 in that condition but i offered to pay face :sign13: but didnt budge

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Silverbull said:
There is one or more teller cherrypickers at each bank it seems.
Yes, my wife has become a silver block at her CU. Strange thing is, they see maybe 2 or 3 crh'ers all year, and are happy to sell them coin. ffd

Modern Day Miner

May 10, 2010
Denver
Hi all.

I am new to this forum but have been coin roll hunting for about 2 years now. The banks that I use all have young tellers and very few of them even know we had silver coinage. I have spotted many dimes and halves just sitting in the tellers trays. They don't have a problem at all selling them to me. I had one teller who had a mercury dime in her tray she thought it was a foreign coin. Are there any CRH's out here in the Denver area? I have been reading on this forum for a little while and haven't seen any from out here.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
unfortunately, the youngish tellers here on my side are more than aware of circulating silver
i'm gonna keep trying
hh

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I asked a younger guy at a bank last week about some Ikes. He said" I don't have any and turned to ask the 90YO looking teller next to him. She looked like she was gonna cry and told him she had 3. Thay asked how many I wanted and I said 3. I think she was crying as she handed them over. I felt bad for 2 1/2 seconds.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
kd5txx said:
I asked a younger guy at a bank last week about some Ikes. He said" I don't have any and turned to ask the 90YO looking teller next to him. She looked like she was gonna cry and told him she had 3. Thay asked how many I wanted and I said 3. I think she was crying as she handed them over. I felt bad for 2 1/2 seconds.

lol
strong
hh

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
kd5txx said:

Was She crying because she was happy to get rid of them?

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
tenseventyfive said:
I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to set up a string of supply banks. Aside from the quizzical looks from almost all the tellers, I have noticed this: EVERY bank has someone in on the game. Usually a manager, but even the tellers ask me if I am looking for the silver ones, with that "ahhh I know what YOU'RE up to" tone in their voice, despite my devastating charm and (I thought) rock solid cover story of being a mere collector of coinage obscura. They have shown me silver they're filtered out. They have denied me the precious boxes I seek with a sneer or a snarl. One went so far as to tell me she had $6.50 in her drawer, which I eagerly took, only to watch her count them and check the dates so as to NOT give me anything worthwhile!!! >:( Now, I of course have to maintain my cover, as this MAY be a supply bank and I don't want to jeopardize the flow if they're willing to order boxes (so far I have found 2 supply banks that aren't asking me to be a customer. I may open $500. savings accounts at each to keep the relationship amicable) That said - we BOTH know why I am there, so even if we're going to maintain a civilized veneer, DON'T KICK ME IN THE NUTS BY CHERRYPICKING ME RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, KTHX? No offense, but you get paid to provide bank services, not skim money for yourself. If you do it when no one's around, fine - I would do exactly the same. But it's a bit insulting to do it on the counter in front of me on bank time.

/rant off

If that ever happens to me at a bank I have accounts at I will just start dumping there mercilessly.

sry - just a bit frustrated - but my cycle of box orders begins tomorrow so I won't be so concerned with this - just wanted to vent something I'm sure you all feel the same about

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
A while ago I was at one of my banks that lets me buy from their coin machine, and they have a teller who knows about silver. I always found 40%ers in the bag but never 90%ers, and usually an even number of quarters in there that when added with the halves always brought the total to the correct figure. I figured this teller was possibly taking them from the bag before they gave them to me and replacing the halves she removed with quarters so the count would be right--she had asked me about finding silver coins in the boxes they ordered for me a few times and how much Xface silver coins were going for nowadays.

So when she was on vacation one week, I asked the vault teller if I could top off the machine and take the bag since it only needed 50 or so bucks to be full. I normally never dump there because I get boxes ordered there plus the machine bags, but they always offer to let me dump and I say no. Anyway, vault teller said sure go ahead so I was able to get the bag without anyone else looking thru it.

Guess what, there were some decent 90%ers plus the usual 40%ers as well. Coincidence?

The bag is not near being filled now so I wonder how it will all go down next time I get it. I am at this bank at least once a week doing regular banking, so maybe I will catch the teller gone on vacation again. ;D

Jim

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I got my weekly box yesterday after it sat at the branch over the weekend. All the same wrappers except one lone roll. It was quite obvious that someone had switched it out. It was from another carrier. Ticked me at first but hey, still got 32 silvers from that box. Only thing that bothers me is that it was a frank or walker on the end. There was even another silver showing on the end but it was the reverse and hard to tell unless you are a AG searcher of my caliber. :D

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kd5txx said:

I would have asked her if she was saving them for herself. If she said yes, I still would have bought them. Then I would have handed them right back over to her and told her to enjoy them. It's $3 dollars people. How often do you get to make a great impression and make someone's day for only $3. I guarantee you that you would be her new favorite customer for life. And the younger guy would have taken note as well. Heck, every teller in the place would probably hear about it eventually. You have to give back a little something every now and then.

If your actions are causing people to cry then you really need to think hard about what you are doing with your life. Sometimes the greed displayed on this forum makes me want to throw up. ::)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
mts said:
Sometimes the greed displayed on this forum makes me want to throw up. ::)

I Agree

I have Deisire to find nice coins and I feel Fortunate to find any. I don't like it when tellers cherrypick in front of me or leave silver out and refuse to sell it to me but I have no problem with them cherrypicking their own tills just do it when i'm not there. It's not like they make a lot of money and I'm sure our collective finds roadtripping turn up a ton more than a teller cherrypicking her till.

As far as the three Ikes go they are worthless unless they are silver or a 73. Let her have them.

Overall I have found just as many tellers that hand over the silver vs the ones that don't.

Be nice. "You can attract more bee's with honey"

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mts said:
Sometimes the greed displayed on this forum makes me want to throw up. ::)

MTS,

I agree with you that making a teller cry over CRHing would not be the right way to handle things, and I would guess that the poster who said that was being a bit facetious.

I also don't raise a fuss over coins in the till when the teller says they are keeping them, not because I would rather they have them, but because I don't want to create bad blood at the bank (altruistic of me?--hell no; greedy?--maybe; practical--YES). I have never complained to the manager for any CRHing related activity so far either.

However, I must say that I don't feel guilty when I can get some coins in lieu of somebody else getting them, whether it be another CRHer or a teller. CRHing is a zero sum game. You get the silver or I get the silver, or somebody else gets it.

I only bring this up because you mentioned the "greedy" word. I was called greedy and selfish because I thought posting CRHing finds on the banner was a bad idea in that it might bring new CRHers into the game. What's "greedy" behavior to some might be "competitive" behavior to others.

As far as feeling bad for the tellers, some CRHers here have been treated bad by tellers in various ways, or had them remove silver right before their eyes when they go to buy halves or other coins (cherrypicking). I have never had that happen to me, but I have been "duped" several times by tellers wanting to get rid of dumped hand rolls and they lie and say they accumulated them over a long time from several customers when it was obvious after the fact that one dumper brought them all in.

One time I even heard the teller laugh as I was leaving (I stopped around the corner to do something and she thought I left), and heard her say "did you like how I got rid of those", or something to that effect. Sure it is all fair and part of the "game" so I didn't get mad about it. But on the flip side if I can get coins that a teller may otherwise want (without creating a fuss or disturbance, etc) then I will do it.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread