Got a Barber!!!

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
Things have slowed down a bit since my near dream box a couple of weeks ago. Have gotten a few decent boxes with 15 and 9 keepers, but also several onesies and skunks. I was getting skunked through my second box last night when down to about the last 10 rolls I see a really black edge. Thought it was foreign or a really dirty 40% at first, but was amazed to find a 1896-S Barber, a key date! It's in really worn shape and matches the description of a G-4 I think. It is also very black. Anyone know if that will add, detract or unchange it's value? I've attached some pictures, but it's really difficult to make out the coin since it's so black.

So, how many others have found a Barber? I'm assuming it's pretty rare to get one from a box.

Attachments

• IMG00085-20100513-2116.jpg
    IMG00085-20100513-2116.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG00086-20100513-2116.jpg
    IMG00086-20100513-2116.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I found an 1894s in the fall of 2007. Not as dark as yours, and not as rare either. But I was pretty happy. I'm sure the first words out of my mouth were HOLY S___!!!

I figure with all the dimes I search, if I ever find another it will be a dime not a half. Good going, they sure are fun to find.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that key date! Barbers are hard to come by,i've only found 3 in 3 years. Don't try to clean it, it can drastically lower the value.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! I would gladly buy that coin, but only AFTER you clean it! No way would it go in my collection looking like that.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be "cleaned" to get some of the organic crud off it. Dipping in acetone and then in purified water might get some of the junk off. A toothpick or q-tip can also be used but nothing that would scrub or scrape the surface.

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I haven't found one yet and I've been doing this for about 5 years now and keep upping and upping the amount of coin I go through in the hopes of getting one. Congrats but send good thoughts my way so I can get one too.
HH,
Frank

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not had too much luck on the quarters, mostly dimes though.....That barber sure was a good find.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nice find! :icon_thumright: - I'd give it an acetone bath and might even go with an ammonia bath. Water down the ammonia to a 4:1 ration and make sure it is clear ammonia. Don't do it for very long. Might get it a little brighter and get some crud off it. On the other hand if you like it, leave it like it is! I've cleaned a few low end expensive coins that had some green crud starting to destroy the coin. This would be considered conservation as they were being destroyed by the crud. They came out ok but I practiced on some other dark junk coins first.

Maine_Jim

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find and congrats on finding your first (?) Barber.

Assuming it is a half dollar though, and I don't mean to "rain on your parade" , but what info do you have that makes you think it is a " key date ! " True, only 1.1M were minted, but there are almost twenty five (25) other halves in the Barber series with lower mintages.

Just curious as to your definition of "key date"; for there are coins from each series that are genuinely classified as key dates.

Again, kudos on your find, not trying to bring you down, but with so many newbies on this forum; I'd hate for them to get bad info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread