CRHing Strategy

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Last October/November with the exception of one or two banks that I hit while passing, I quit doing road trips.Not that I wasn't doing well, (my last month netted me over 80 Oz.)it became too time consuming, and the competition was building up at an alarming rate.
In reality I've probably encountered more nice tellers than bad. The bad though, were bad to the core. I felt like I was dealing with people who mingle on a regular basis with sinister forces.
So I left road trips behind forever, and started on boxes.
Now I was doing boxes all along on an irregular basis.A box here, a box there, maybe a 4 box order. Most of these turned out to be skunks or at best a keeper or two. To test the waters I started mega-orders from various banks. With this experiment I found that multiple boxes are the way to go, but that too many boxes, leads to way too many skunk boxes.
I settled on 8 boxes a week from the best producing bank. When their boxes produced less I started ordering an additional 6 boxes from another branch of the same bank. When things picked up at the first bank,I dropped the second bank.
Every so often I'll order from a completely different bank, to test their boxes. If they are good I'll order from them for a few weeks. These tests are in addition to my standard 8 boxes.
I started April with my regular 8 boxes a week. Although my skunk boxes from these have never exceeded 2, my keepers plummeted.So I started ordering an additional 8 boxes from a different bank,which boosted my numbers.
This week I dropped the second bank. The first couple of orders were good,the third terrible, and the fourth okay,but I found myself having to pickup, search, on 2 different days and making an extra dump trip.
Today I picked up another bank and ordered 5 boxes which will come in on the same day as my eight, for a total of 13.
I'll stick with this number for the summer,unless this bank goes sour on me, or I run out of money due to multiple "Dream Boxes" :laughing7:
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
my strategy - order 4k in flat boxes from one bank, 4k from bank that has square, 2 high boxes, and 4k from bank that supplies in bags. Get a good mix that way.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
buffhunter said:
my strategy - order 4k in flat boxes from one bank, 4k from bank that has square, 2 high boxes, and 4k from bank that supplies in bags. Get a good mix that way.

I'd do the same as you, if I could. Can't get the bags, or double decker boxes though.
HH
Rich

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strategy is not so good as I am playing with a limited amount of funds. $2000.00 per week tops. I generally obtain 3 boxes of halves. Both are same bank--different branches--2 boxes at one branch; 1 box at another. That is the limit they will allow me to order without a fee. I started out with one box of halves in January, but have worked my way up to 3 boxes now in May. I also purchase at least one cent and nickel box a week in between to satisfy the need to search.

I am saving up my extra funds to open another account where I can dump as well as open an account to buy. That will take a bit more time, but I hope by the end of the year I have worked it out so I can obtain 5 boxes per week.

Thus far I have found 31-91% & 52-40%, not counting the few silver dimes and war nickels. I am happy as can be and not in anyway discouraged that I have not found that "dream box." To me, getting one silver is worth the work.

Apush :read2:

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
I too, started in January I have been doing one box a week getting one 40% per box. One skunk and one with 3 40% and 1 90%.
then I found out a cu would sell me a bag when it was full. I had to put in 500 to $600. to fill it but I got 8 40% and the chance to RE search 600.00 a second time. but I would do it again in a heart beet if I could find another half full bag. the last 3 weeks my finds have gone up to 2 per box and tomorrow i start my first 3 box week (if they come in)one tuesday, thursday and one friday
I also do walk into banks and ask for halve that has gotten me about 6 40%

totals 42 40% 1 90%
And like Rich I bury them in the back yard to keep them safe

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
I'll search whenever i can find the time...usually once or twice a month I'll go i for 12 boxes between 2 of my favorite banks.

Like today...when i pick them all up. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Good luck to all you box searchers. I'm sure things will pick up. Last night I was reading some of the two and three year old postings on this site and there seemed to be "slumps" back then as well. Keep at it. They're out there.
rileyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread